What will you be doing on Saturdays this Fall??

So, I've watched Nebraska football since 1970 - 8th grade.  The only time I wasn't seriously watching was while I attended South Dakota State Univ as an undergrad - 74-78.  I had to attend all of the Jackrabbit games as a Jack fan.  But since then I've bled Nebraska Red and felt its lowest lows (78 loss to Mo after beating OU, 82 PSU, 83 Miami, 87 OU, 94 Orange Bowl FSU, BC & MR) and its highest high - all of the NC, Conf Championships and wins over OU and other rivals, Tom's record and sell out crowds and too many national leading streaks to name. 

But what to do about 2020 with no games.  What will I do. - no Oklahoma Cornhusker Club watch parties to go to or bus trips to games (as in the old Big 12 days).  What will you do?

2ptkc1.jpg

sport-football-honey_do_list-to_do_list-

Seriously,  without football this fall,  I will probably spend more time doing things with my wife and that ain't all bad. 

That is actually a good thing.   A time to evaluate/adjust the priorities of life- which has been the case wt this whole covid crisis.   Oh, and probably watching some SEC, Big 12 and ACC games and wishing the Big Red was playing. 

So what will you be doing??

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, TGHusker said:

Now that is funny :laughpound   and unfortunately it describes my golf game.   Actually if I find more balls looking for the balls  I lose - I consider that a successful round of golf. 

:thumbs one of my buddies keeps a separate score of "plus 2" or "minus 3" for the round...that's how many balls he has lost vs how many balls he has found :clap

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

:thumbs one of my buddies keeps a separate score of "plus 2" or "minus 3" for the round...that's how many balls he has lost vs how many balls he has found :clap

Hey in the end since our last names don't end wt Woods or Palmer, or Nickleson  - it is all about chasing balls and getting some exercise. 

• Plus1 2

Listened to kfab this am and the outdoors guy Greg Wagner? was on talking about the huge increases in hunting and fishing permits being bought.

makes sense, 

I’m going to be watching and rooting for kstate 

less than 2 hours drive from Lincoln and home to an overachieving program with loyal fans. Snyder did a miraculous job and I hope they can continue to have some reasonable success now that he’s gone.  It blows me away how they would regularly beat teams with much better players and way more money. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Omaha fan said:

Listened to kfab this am and the outdoors guy was on talking about the huge increases in hunting and fishing permits being bought.

makes sense, 

I’m going to be watching and rooting for kstate 

less than 2 hours drive from Lincoln and home to an overachieving program with loyal fans. Snyder did a miraculous job and I hope they can continue to have some reasonable success now that he’s gone.  It blows me away how they would regularly beat teams with much better players and way more money. 

Yes this would be the time to be living on the farm I grew up on in SD - pheasant hunting time for sure.

• Plus1 2

What will we be doing on Saturdays?

Looking at all the empty seats at Memorial Stadium and wondering where did everybody go? Are they doing OK? Are they healthy? Are their families and friends OK?

Looking at all the businesses around Nebraska with empty chairs and closed doors. All of the vitality and life that goes on in those places that now sit mostly silent. Wondering how all the business owners are going to make it. Wondering how many are losing hope. Wondering how many are finding faith and reaching down deep to find it.

Thinking about all the lives of students that have been changed. The classes they won’t attend in person. The professors they won’t remember. The memories of being together without worries about masks or social distancing or The New Normal or herd immunity or vaccines or graphs and projections that are mostly stabs in the dark.

The loss of being at Husker football games and gatherings that leave blank memories with empty screens instead of vivid pictures of color and sound and fun and happiness and sadness and excitement. The cheers that have gone silent. The victories that will never be won. All the hopes and dreams that are now all on hold.

So many things to do on Saturday. Everything...  but the one thing we all so much want to do that most defines what Husker Nation is all about.

• Plus1 1

I am going to grab my old Cyclone jersey and helmet...drive to Lincoln on some snowy Saturday afternoon...sneak into Memorial stadium...line up on the 50...throw myself a quick slant then sprint over the goal line and spike the ball yelling "In your face Father Time!"  I will then go get a Runza and push random old people down on the sidewalk...and maybe kick a puppy.

• Haha 4