Eight Husker Football Players Sue the Big Ten

knapplc

47 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Yeah, i honestly dont get heae complaints. At all.

Who wanta to play indiana, illinios, rutgers, and maryland all the time? Seriously, schedule the big time programs, all the time.

From a fan standpoint yes you want to see bigger matchups. From a Nebraska standpoint yes don’t be a pu&&y and play the big boys. BUT from the perspective that we have sucked for 15 years and are trying to get back to past glory of being a perennial top 10 program. An easier schedule means more wins which means recruiting would get easier which gets us back to top 10 level sooner. 

• Plus1 3

39 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

From a fan standpoint yes you want to see bigger matchups. From a Nebraska standpoint yes don’t be a pu&&y and play the big boys. BUT from the perspective that we have sucked for 15 years and are trying to get back to past glory of being a perennial top 10 program. An easier schedule means more wins which means recruiting would get easier which gets us back to top 10 level sooner. 

Is the cross-division schedule designed to produce big tv draw matchups?

2 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

And thats also probaly true, but we have also been a bottom dweller for years and our schedule is as such.

Do you think it’s a coincidence that Iowa has has their best decade ever while playing Ohio State only two times in the last ten years? 

Again, I have no problem playing the prime time games against good opponents. That said, it is not a stretch to see the imbalance and therefore the benefits to easy scheduling for our division rival. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Lightfighter214 said:

It took what, 6 quarters for us to finally make OSU punt?

Iowa has put numerous players in NFL, and trounced us badly a few times.

Strength of schedule has very little to due with it 

You’re not answering the question. 

Yes, Ohio State has been an elite program. However, it is more difficult to compete for a bowl game, let alone the division title, every year if you’re the underdog in 2/3 cross-divisional games each year.

Yes, the answer is winning cures all. That said, to say that the schedule doesn’t have an impact is just incorrect. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

It took what, 6 quarters for us to finally make OSU punt?

Iowa has put numerous players in NFL, and trounced us badly a few times.

Strength of schedule has very little to due with it 

Iowa "trounced" us under Riley and that's it.

Pelini beat Iowa (which Eichorst evaluated) and Frost has been within a field goal.

Please be accurate......

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Im not saying the schedule doesn't help maybe it does account for a loss a year.

At this point in time we are not a good program, poor performing programs tend to get crap schedules. 

Frankly, some of this talk i just dont understand.  Its like we are trying to rationalization and blame someone else for our mostly self inflicted problems.

I am pointing out that there has been an imbalance in the Big Ten scheduling since we got into the conference. The original post this came from mentioned how these player and parent lawsuits might produce backlash from the conference in terms of scheduling or other measures. To which my reply was that the conference has been doing us no favors in scheduling since we got into the conference. 

In short, yes our problems have been self-inflicted. We had a chancellor with too big of an ego who hired an AD out of his element. Fired a coach that is a proven winner, hired a feel good coach that was not a good fit. Then finally replaced the administration and brought in a competent staff who had a big group of players unready for big time college football. Start year 2 with two starters (well 1A & 1B), at a position where their size and skill mattered, kicked off the team. A kicker who lost the ability to kick and a starting RB kicked off the team mid-way. 

TLDR: Yes, we caused a lot of our own problems.

Hopefully it's only positive from here and we win some football games... whenever the powers that be allow us to play again.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, TheSker said:

Iowa "trounced" us under Riley and that's it.

Pelini beat Iowa (which Eichorst evaluated) and Frost has been within a field goal.

Please be accurate......

Ummm. We have won once in the last sevenyears. 3 of the 7 being over double digits. Yes, id call that trounced. Even if we disagree what trounced means, 1-6 in the last 7 years pretty much says it all.

Please be accurate....

17-38

37-34

20-28

10-40

14-56

28-31

24-27

I like how you arbitrarily chose some games that you think makes your point.

Try our full record against Iowa since we joined the Big Ten:

2011 - 20-7 - Pelini

2012 - 13-7 W - Pelini

2013 - 17-38 L - Pelini (trounced)

2014 - 37-34 W - Pelini

2015 - 20-28 L - Riley

2016 - 10-40 L - Riley (trounced)

2017 - 14-56 L - Riley (trounced)

2018 - 28-31 L - Frost (lost by a field goal)

2019 - 24-27 L - Frost (lost by a field goal)

@TheSker said Iowa "trounced" us under Riley - and that's accurate. Once under Pelini doesn't obviate his point. @TheSker said "Pelini beat Iowa," and having gone 3-1 against them, that's also accurate. @TheSker said "Frost has been within a field goal" and two losses by three points means (you guessed it) he's accurate there again.

• Plus1 4
3 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Ummm. We have won once in the last sevenyears. 3 of the 7 being over double digits. Yes, id call that trounced. Even if we disagree what trounced means, 1-6 in the last 7 years pretty much says it all.

Please be accurate....

17-38

37-34

20-28

10-40

14-56

28-31

24-27

hand-picking-cherries-tree-260nw-1467507

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Even if you include pelinis years, we are still 3-7. Its not cherry picking, its the last 7 years.

Thats not even including what OSU and Wisconsin have done to us. 

My only point is that nebraska hasnt been good since they got to the big ten. Has the schedule been rough? Maybe. But people complaining about OSU on the schedule blows my mind.

Its getting in the 'woe is me'  category and blaming the 'big ten' for scheduling. 

Last 4 years we have only had 2 of the big 4 from the east, osu, michigan penn state, and msu.

Take a look at the last 5 years of schedules, they aren't exactly murderers row. People should be complaining when we dont get to play OSU, not the other way around.

That's because you're having a different conversation than everyone else.

The context is that the scheduling has been inequitable. While we've played Ohio State six or eight times, in the same span, Iowa has played them twice. No matter what our win/loss record is, that's a fair gripe. 

You're taking that to mean something entirely different, and I'm not sure why because that's not the gist of what's being talked about.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Do you think it’s a coincidence that Iowa has has their best decade ever while playing Ohio State only two times in the last ten years? 

Again, I have no problem playing the prime time games against good opponents. That said, it is not a stretch to see the imbalance and therefore the benefits to easy scheduling for our division rival. 

And Iowa thrashed them one of those times.  

But that has been the drag on divisions and ccgs ever since they were invented.  One division winner is there because it had an easier cross-division schedule.  I notice the seccg is almost never a rematch.

But is it scheduled to equal out over time barring realignment?  Will Iowa start playing the Bucks a lot more?

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

And Iowa thrashed them one of those times.  

But that has been the drag on divisions and ccgs ever since they were invented.  One division winner is there because it had an easier cross-division schedule.  I notice the seccg is almost never a rematch.

But is it scheduled to equal out over time barring realignment?  Will Iowa start playing the Bucks a lot more?

Yes, Iowa did put it to Ohio State in 2017. 

The theory goes that eventually it balances it out but it's very odd as this year (2020) would have been just the third time they played since we joined in the 2011 season. Iowa's next scheduled dates with the Buckeyes are in 2022 & 2025. So by 2025 in the 15 season since joining, we would face Ohio State a total of nine times versus Iowa's five times. Again, I don't want us to shy away from tough opponents but I would hope the conference can more closely align schedules to provide some balance. 

• Plus1 2

So what input if any can NU provide in the scheduling room of the B1G?  Surely there is a way we (our AD) can point out the inequity in the schedule without looking like we have our tails between our legs.   And while it is true, that teams cycle in and out of the top, 60 years of B1G football support the idea that OSU and to a lessor extent Michigan are normally hanging around the top of the leader board with PSU  not to far behind. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So what input if any can NU provide in the scheduling room of the B1G?  Surely there is a way we (our AD) can point out the inequity in the schedule without looking like we have our tails between our legs.   And while it is true, that teams cycle in and out of the top, 60 years of B1G football support the idea that OSU and to a lessor extent Michigan are normally hanging around the top of the leader board with PSU  not to far behind. 

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot we can do at the moment as these conference schedules are set years in advance. The next round of TV negotiations are coming up in a few years and then the conference schedule layout for the years after 2025 should also be coming out around that time. 

These lawsuits have likely not gained us any favor but I would be surprised if it caused the future schedule to get anymore challenging. At this point, I think Frost & Co. have us on the right footing to progress and we should be more equipped to be successful. Just hope they let us play or else it's yet another delay towards progress and development.