Censorship

10 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I’m probably in a minority, and this probably is unconstitutional:  But I would wholeheartedly support a shutdown of accounts that intentionally promote verifiably false information to sew doubt among internet users.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

I’m probably in a minority, and this probably is unconstitutional:  But I would wholeheartedly support a shutdown of accounts that intentionally promote verifiably false information to sew doubt among internet users.

Thanks for the "laugh" but I'm 100% serious.  Social media is making America (and the free world) dumber.  Just think of the "NFL is fake",  "flat earther"s, and the "birds aren't real" people. Not to mention the poison that is Q-Anon.  Just the other day I saw people freaking out because another cargo barge took out another bridge in Turkey.  People were panicking that terrorists, a.k.a "government operatives",  were responsible and were ready to take up arms against the deep state and its "new world order".  No one actually looked at the video and realized it wasn't a bridge but a crane at a port and probably won't have a huge effect. 

It all most likely starts with some dumbass trying to make fun of people and it catches on like a wildfire.

Maybe a simple quiz to recognize spam or fake accounts should be required before setting up accounts or renewing them once a year.  I'm just tired of the liars taking advantage of the stupid.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
36 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Thanks for the "laugh" but I'm 100% serious.  Social media is making America (and the free world) dumber.  Just think of the "NFL is fake",  "flat earther"s, and the "birds aren't real" people. Not to mention the poison that is Q-Anon.  Just the other day I saw people freaking out because another cargo barge took out another bridge in Turkey.  People were panicking that terrorists, a.k.a "government operatives",  were responsible and were ready to take up arms against the deep state and its "new world order".  No one actually looked at the video and realized it wasn't a bridge but a crane at a port and probably won't have a huge effect. 

It all most likely starts with some dumbass trying to make fun of people and it catches on like a wildfire.

Maybe a simple quiz to recognize spam or fake accounts should be required before setting up accounts or renewing them once a year.  I'm just tired of the liars taking advantage of the stupid.

I get your point, I guess the issue is, what/who decides what is "good" information or not?

If you are just talking about verified stuff, it seems like that would be easy enough.

And then what about stuff that is not verified yet.  But say that an account with a lot of followers tweets out "I would not be shocked if the Russians were behind this", does that get banned?

I mean, I suppose we do have false advertising laws in place so it seems like SOMETHING could be done.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
38 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This might be doable, with some sort of software 

• TBH 1
33 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

This might be doable, with some sort of software 

I think it would be easy.  One of our Social Studies teachers does something like this when he is talking about primary, secondary sources, etc.  He gives the kids 4 news headlines, one of them is fake.  The kids have to decide which one is the imposter.

When signing up or renewing the social media account: If you get it wrong, that email you are trying to sign up with is rejected.

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • Worth a Look 1

52 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I get your point, I guess the issue is, what/who decides what is "good" information or not?

If you are just talking about verified stuff, it seems like that would be easy enough.

And then what about stuff that is not verified yet.  But say that an account with a lot of followers tweets out "I would not be shocked if the Russians were behind this", does that get banned?

I mean, I suppose we do have false advertising laws in place so it seems like SOMETHING could be done.

Another great example of this is much of the Covid information in the first 6 months to a year that far far far too many people insisted was conspiracy or whacked out nut job posting…….actually turned out to be correct and the people we were pushed to accept as gospel were the ones that were wrong.  

• Haha 3
  • Fire 2
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Another great example of this is much of the Covid information in the first 6 months to a year that far far far too many people insisted was conspiracy or whacked out nut job posting…….actually turned out to be correct and the people we were pushed to accept as gospel were the ones that were wrong.  

Do you have examples of this?

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2
2 hours ago, funhusker said:

I think it would be easy.  One of our Social Studies teachers does something like this when he is talking about primary, secondary sources, etc.  He gives the kids 4 news headlines, one of them is fake.  The kids have to decide which one is the imposter.

When signing up or renewing the social media account: If you get it wrong, that email you are trying to sign up with is rejected.

Don’t have much to add but I am happy and actually impressed that kids are being taught to discern news sources. This literally might be more important than the 3 Rs at this point in time. I also like the idea of people having to pass some sort of competency test to sign up for things. Maybe it could be applied to the ability to vote also.

40 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Don’t have much to add but I am happy and actually impressed that kids are being taught to discern news sources. This literally might be more important than the 3 Rs at this point in time. I also like the idea of people having to pass some sort of competency test to sign up for things. Maybe it could be applied to the ability to vote also.

It is a HUGE thing in schools right now.  

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Nope

Good Lord:facepalm:  

…Fauci and others first said masks aren’t helpful, then they said masks were essentially mandatory and it didn’t matter what kind…then actual studies came out and said only correct fitting N95 masks actually made a difference.   

…..We were told Covid is transmitted through touch and EVERYTHING should be sterilized and gloves worn……..Theeeeeennnnn it wasn’t.  Hooray for Clorox though.  

…..we were told to quarantine inside and public areas had to be closed because of science….well that turn out so correctly.   Remember people getting arrested on the beach:thumbs   Remember skate parks getting filled with sand:thumbs   Is that still a “Nope” :laughpound

Lets see….then were told kids couldn’t go to school because they were death trap…..even though Europe already let us know that was t the case.  Then when some States got wise and opened schools, those Governors were called too cavalier with people’s lives by those same wizards of smart telling schools to close.   Still a “Nope”???

Hmmmm….we could go to vaccinations mandates and how vaccines were essential FOR EVERYONE, instead of those who account for 90% of Covid deaths.  People under 40 couldn’t go to work unless they got vaccinated, kids couldn’t go to college unless they were vaccinated, because why?????  Well, we were told vaccinated individuals COULD NOT transmit disease.   How did that science hold up? 

When Covid started, you were considered a right wing conspiracy theorist if you said Covid-19 was lab created.   How has that held up?  :laughpound

Im sure there is more that will come to mind, but to say “Nope” is being, well…..Wrong will put it nicely.   

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
59 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is a HUGE thing in schools right now.  

And that’s great. Gotta get that instilled while they’re younger, before it’s too late. There’s a huge swath of older generations that have proven they don’t want to or can’t learn how to sort the bulls#!t.

50 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

And that’s great. Gotta get that instilled while they’re younger, before it’s too late. There’s a huge swath of older generations that have proven they don’t want to or can’t learn how to sort the bulls#!t.

Amen

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Good Lord:facepalm:  

…Fauci and others first said masks aren’t helpful, then they said masks were essentially mandatory and it didn’t matter what kind…then actual studies came out and said only correct fitting N95 masks actually made a difference.   

…..We were told Covid is transmitted through touch and EVERYTHING should be sterilized and gloves worn……..Theeeeeennnnn it wasn’t.  Hooray for Clorox though.  

…..we were told to quarantine inside and public areas had to be closed because of science….well that turn out so correctly.   Remember people getting arrested on the beach:thumbs   Remember skate parks getting filled with sand:thumbs   Is that still a “Nope” :laughpound

Lets see….then were told kids couldn’t go to school because they were death trap…..even though Europe already let us know that was t the case.  Then when some States got wise and opened schools, those Governors were called too cavalier with people’s lives by those same wizards of smart telling schools to close.   Still a “Nope”???

Hmmmm….we could go to vaccinations mandates and how vaccines were essential FOR EVERYONE, instead of those who account for 90% of Covid deaths.  People under 40 couldn’t go to work unless they got vaccinated, kids couldn’t go to college unless they were vaccinated, because why?????  Well, we were told vaccinated individuals COULD NOT transmit disease.   How did that science hold up? 

When Covid started, you were considered a right wing conspiracy theorist if you said Covid-19 was lab created.   How has that held up?  :laughpound

Im sure there is more that will come to mind, but to say “Nope” is being, well…..Wrong will put it nicely.   

This is basically 100% what was said at the time.  I know that Covid-Bros will be like "Well, they didn't know everything yet" which is fine and I agree but this is pretty what was said over and over at first.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1