Censorship

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

You really want to know how to fix this???? You don't let one single private company get so large as to "hold the keys to the internet," in ANY INDUSTRY. It's why anti-trust laws exist. But then the Republican congress sought to appease their donors rather than enforce those laws. Now they can all REAP what they've SOWN. 

17 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

You really want to know how to fix this???? You don't let one single private company get so large as to "hold the keys to the internet," in ANY INDUSTRY. It's why anti-trust laws exist. But then the Republican congress sought to appease their donors rather than enforce those laws. Now they can all REAP what they've SOWN. 

I agree with that in part, but there's LOTS of ways to get onto the internet without using Amazon. Or Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, etc.

You can setup a website on your home computer if you want to.

However, if we want to have a public space free of private corporation interference, then we should have an option to use an internet backbone run collective by all of us, aka the government. Also comes with the bonus of 1st Amendment protections.

This was the social media's "9/11" per this article.  

U.S. Capitol siege heralds tougher social media curbs, says EU commissioner | Reuters

BERLIN (Reuters) - The storming of the U.S. Capitol will herald an era of tougher social media regulation, European Union Commissioner Thierry Breton said, comparing the violence with the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, that led to a global crackdown on terrorism.

“Just as 9/11 marked a paradigm shift for global security, 20 years later we are witnessing a before-and-after in the role of digital platforms in our democracy,” the Commissioner for the Internal Market wrote in a column for Politico.

Twitter permanently cut off U.S. President Donald Trump’s personal account and access to his nearly 90 million followers on Friday, citing the risk of further incitement of violence after Trump exhorted thousands of supporters to march on the Capitol.

“If there was anyone out there who still doubted that online platforms have become systemic actors in our societies and democracies, last week’s events on Capitol Hill” were their answer, Breton wrote.

By blocking Trump’s account, social media companies had finally recognised their responsibility, duty and means to prevent the spread of illegal viral content, he added.

“They can no longer hide their responsibility toward society by arguing that they merely provide hosting services,” the member of the EU’s executive said.

21 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I agree with that in part, but there's LOTS of ways to get onto the internet without using Amazon. Or Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, etc.

You can setup a website on your home computer if you want to.

However, if we want to have a public space free of private corporation interference, then we should have an option to use an internet backbone run collective by all of us, aka the government. Also comes with the bonus of 1st Amendment protections.

You mean like a NPR social media outlet? 

You'd have to be very careful to not have it turn into state run media. What's more - for people out there who are already worried about governments and big business having too much access to private information- this would by scary level 10.  I mean they have algorithms that can figure out a if a woman is pregnant before she even knows. Talk about Big Brother. 

On 1/10/2021 at 11:23 AM, Archy1221 said:

Government regulation isn’t communism.  So No. Monopolistic behavior can be broken up.  See Oil, railroads, telephones 

Your views on regulation are interesting as a Republican.  Republicans I know view ALL regulation as bad.  If a politician claims he's going to deregulate something, they don't even question it...they cheer it on.  

You seem to be more along the views of mine.  Regulation is needed for a healthy economy and society.  We just need to make sure it's well thought out and accomplishes what it's supposed to without negative repercussions.  

9 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

You mean like a NPR social media outlet? 

You'd have to be very careful to not have it turn into state run media. What's more - for people out there who are already worried about governments and big business having too much access to private information- this would by scary level 10.  I mean they have algorithms that can figure out a if a woman is pregnant before she even knows. Talk about Big Brother. 

No, I mean a web hosting service from the ground up. Someone could build a social media website/app on top of that instead of doing it on Amazon for example.