Censorship

On 3/6/2021 at 10:14 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Republicans should be so proud of him.  He can read green eggs and ham.  

Um, are many people even saying they don’t like Dr. Seuss? Personally I give some leeway based on the era someone lived in. 

The things these people freak out over or give principled stands on are assinine. They are a joke. People this stupid should not be running the country. 

• Plus1 1

47 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Um, are many people even saying they don’t like Dr. Seuss? Personally I give some leeway based on the era someone lived in. 

The things these people freak out over or give principled stands on are assinine. They are a joke. People this stupid should not be running the country. 

No, nobody is saying they don't like Dr. Seuss.  It's not even coming from anywhere but the Dr. Seuss Foundation that decided they weren't going to publish a few books.  

It's just one more example of the Republicans making up outrage over something that's a nothing burger.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I really don't think they are stupid.  I truly believe that they are smart enough to know that a very large segment of our population IS stupid enough to fall for crap like this though.  

I've said it before, people should be insulted by the fact that these people believe their voters are morons and will buy anything.  

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I really don't think they are stupid.  I truly believe that they are smart enough to know that a very large segment of our population IS stupid enough to fall for crap like this though.  

I've said it before, people should be insulted by the fact that these people believe their voters are morons and will buy anything.  

Precisely. Most federally elected officials are not stupid. Most of them are quite intelligent and manipulative, hence the Green Eggs & Ham example from above.

Does that McCarthy video withstand even an ounce of intelligent criticism? No. Does it rile up the support base and ingratiate them further into the claims and beliefs their elected officials make? 100%.

It's why I've never understood the love affair and blind support people show politicians in this country. They're not your friends or family. You're not theirs. They're doing a job that largely hinges on public perception and favor. Yet, some people think that makes them trustworthy and deserving of unhindered loyalty.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, funhusker said:

I’m guessing for most that’s the case, and McCarthy probably. But some are also stupid. Voters aren’t exactly focused on electing smart people and I think we assume way too often that they are smart. 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I’m guessing for most that’s the case, and McCarthy probably. But some are also stupid. Voters aren’t exactly focused on electing smart people and I think we assume way to often that they are smart. 

I'll give you that.  The Q-anon lady from Georgia and the gun-lady from Colorado have a history of being dopes long before they were elected.  Scary!

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

I'll give you that.  The Q-anon lady from Georgia and the gun-lady from Colorado have a history of being dopes long before they were elected.  Scary!

I'm almost of the opinion that dumb people like electing dumb people like them.  It's like it validates they are smarter than the rest of the world sees them if their representative is as dumb as they are.

• Plus1 3
18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm almost of the opinion that dumb people like electing dumb people like them.  It's like it validates they are smarter than the rest of the world sees them if their representative is as dumb as they are.

I think you're very correct in this. There's an old trope about fathers not wanting their sons to get a better education than they had. See it a lot in TV & movies.

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep. I think I've said this before, but like when Kennedy ran for president, a lot of Catholics said "finally, one of us! That's my guy!" When Obama ran, a lot of black Americans said "finally, one of us! That's my guy!"

So when Trump came along in 2016, it is no secret that so many racists a$$holes, and idiots came out of the woodwork. "Finally, one of us! That's my guy!" The problem is, there are A LOT of racists, a$$holes, and idiots, and they are fiercely loyal to other racists, a$$holes, and idiots and find ways to elect more of their own.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm almost of the opinion that dumb people like electing dumb people like them.

Look no further than the 2020 Presidential election. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

There's an old trope about fathers not wanting their sons to get a better education

What planet does this happen on?  Every parent I have ever met or know wants a better life (which would include education) for their kids than what the parents have.

• Plus1 2

I think politicians like Greene and Boebert are far more aware of what they're doing than not. No reasonably intelligent person would share and behold to some of their opinions, but I wager they know that huge elements of their support base would because a lot of Americans are unintelligent and easy to manipulate.

Same thing for Trump. The man is a chronic liar and was a liberal's liberal well into adulthood. He then made what can only be described as a miraculous flip flop on just about every single major political issue one could have an opinion on. Was he an idiot, or was he bought into the power of manipulation and 'now politics?' I wager the latter.

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

So when Trump came along in 2016, it is no secret that so many racists a$$holes, and idiots came out of the woodwork. "Finally, one of us! That's my guy!" The problem is, there are A LOT of racists, a$$holes, and idiots, and they are fiercely loyal to other racists, a$$holes, and idiots and find ways to elect more of their own.

One thing I've learned about the Republican party in the last four years is that a lot of them are OK with putting their eggs in the same basket as anti-semites, racists and ethno-nationalists. They just don't want the affiliation pointed out.

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, Enhance said:
1 hour ago, Ulty said:

One thing I've learned about the Republican party in the last four years is that a lot of them are OK with putting their eggs in the same basket as anti-semites, racists and ethno-nationalists. They just don't want the affiliation pointed out.

Sorry but that’s just an incorrect and Ill-informed thing to say imo.  There are countless examples where GOP leadership,Trump and Congressional Leaders call out these very folks very publicly.  It just seems that people like you and others on here just don’t want to believe it or listen to it.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Look no further than the 2020 Presidential election. 

Well, maybe the other side shouldn't put a candidate up that's corrupt, can't talk clearly or read from a teleprompter and is in office for no reason than to make his kids rich.

Then maybe you wouldn't be living in this miserable country ran by someone your propaganda is telling you is failing.

• Plus1 1