Biden's America

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Glad you got involved and agree with your sentiment.  

One thing that I have thought about and was interested in getting your perspective and if it was brought up during your discussion group….

Why not have the institutions be responsible for the loan process and backing the loans with the Fed Gov as a backstop for some overall financial catastrophe.  Let these institutions have the skin in the game for the money they are getting and the product they are promoting. 

I don't remember that being discussed and I would be interested in how that would work.

I do believe institutions should somehow be held accountable for the costs.  There should be more oversight some how with state schools on how much they charge.  Right now, there is very little.  And, there's very little incentive for a school like UNL to help decrease that cost.  There is a high demand of students that want to go.  The students take out loans to pay whatever the school chooses to charge them. Then, the pain is felt after the kid gets out of school and the school feels none of it.  If the state decreases funding, they just increase costs to the student and the school goes on about their business.

I'm for some how putting pressure on the schools to keep their costs in check.

I found out recently that a friend of mine whose job is raising her kids (she is also going to community college) went $100k into debt with Parent loans for her 2 adult kids who both went to out of state schools costing $40,000 per year, so $320,000 total. And they are both also in debt now and their jobs likely pay around $40k per year. They basically got degrees they wanted without considering what their income would be.

I love this friend but she should not have let them leave the state to go to school. On the condition she would not help them if they did leave. If they wanted to figure it all out on their own, so be it. They also live in California so they could have moved far away from her and had plenty of good choices. 

I think it should be easier to get a college loan than other loans so that higher education is widely accessible, but giving one to someone without an income, who is not the one getting the degree, doesn’t seem right to me. I don’t know how she is ever going to pay it off. I still haven’t paid mine off and I’ve had a good job for years now. 

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I found out recently that a friend of mine whose job is raising her kids went $103,000 into debt with Parent loans for her 2 adult kids who both went to out of state schools costing $40,000 per year, so $320,000 total. And they are both also in debt now and their jobs likely pay around $40k per year.

I love this friend but she should not have let them leave the state to go to school. On the condition she would not help them if they did leave. If they wanted to figure it all out on their own, so be it. They also live in California so they could have moved far away from her and had plenty of good choices. 

I think it should be easier to get a college loan than other loans but giving one to someone without an income, who is not the one getting the degree, doesn’t seem right to me.

You are SOOOO right there. I don't know where these parents got their advice.  But, I remember being advised multiple times while our kids were growing up that parents should not take out debt to pay for kid's college education.  It's a horrible choice to make.  You then put your own retirement at risk.

Somewhere, recently I read a story about a woman who came out of school with I think 50,000 to 60,000.  She got a job and has been working ever since.  She has paid payments the entire time and is now around 40 years old.  She still has something like 42,000 in debt.  Interest payments have just taken almost all of what she has paid.  If I remember right, she had made payments equal to what the original debt was, but, very little was paid off.

Something I think I could get behind is, don't cancel the debt.  But, make all federal student loans interest free.  The student would pay back what they borrowed.  But, they wouldn't be compounding the problem by having to pay back a bunch of interest.  The government doesn't need to be making money off of the interest payments on these loans.

• Plus1 1

How about this...if you have a degree in a field (and work in the field) where you HAVE to have a degree in that exact field...you get your loan paid off.

For instance.  I have to have a teaching degree to teach.  Doctors, nurses lawyers so on...

But if you have philosophy degree and work at TD Ameritrade...you have to pay.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Maybe we should only pay 3/4 of your loan because you only work 3/4 of the year?

I just invented that joke. I'm a pioneer in the funny arts.

Ha!  That was pretty good!  

And it would totally be a serious response if my idea was something that was brought up on social media. 

Or people affected by earthquakes, floods, freezes, tornados.     Good thing we have insurance for our homes and business’s and FEMA which helps all regardless of income or whether they went to college unlike the bill being talked about. 

The hurricane argument seems to be making the talking points rounds on twitter and falls apart quite quickly 

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

It's unfair to people who don't live in hurricane zones to punish them by making them bail out people living along the Gulf Coast. They chose to live there.

The only people that think paying off loans for people that went to college are either in college, currently have loans or want votes.  

You know how I know?  Because if a recent college grad came up to you today and asked you to pick up the payments on his/her loan...you would walk right past them.  We all would. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Good thing we have insurance for our homes and business’s and FEMA which helps all regardless of income or whether they went to college unlike the bill being talked about. 

So, having a federal program that helps pay for damage to your house in an area you chose to live in that you pretty much know, at some point, it's going to get hit with a hurricane while other people chose to not live in an area that would get with hurricane, is somehow different than a federal program that helps people who went to college and can't pay off the loans while other people chose not to go to college and pile up debt?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, having a federal program that helps pay for damage to your house in an area you chose to live in that you pretty much know, at some point, it's going to get hit with a hurricane while other people chose to not live in an area that would get with hurricane, is somehow different than a federal program that helps people who went to college and can't pay off the loans while other people chose not to go to college and pile up debt?

Yes it’s different.  The same program helps any natural disaster, not just hurricanes.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Does anyone know who I can talk to about getting all my taxes refunded that went towards paying for the tens of millions of people who get child tax credits?

Don't punish me because they chose to have kids.

Amen!!!

this is why I have said for years we should be able to pick where our tax dollars go… As opposed to just being forced to pay them

give me 10 options with a sliding scale for each one with a percentage that has to add up to 100. Then we’ll see how many of these liars that claim they love certain programs really act.

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Amen!!!

this is why I have said for years we should be able to pick where our tax dollars go… As opposed to just being forced to pay them

give me 10 options with a sliding scale for each one with a percentage that has to add up to 100. Then we’ll see how many of these liars that claim they love certain programs really act.

I'm always amused when people from rural states advocate for things like this. The elite that have more money and the cities that have more people will get the the vast majority of the spending. And most things that are for the common good will go underfunded like the IRS, national parks, or public education.