Biden's America

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Please read this with the sarcasm with which it's intended, "NO WAY!"

We're having a decent dialogue here, don't need you to hop in just to stir things and up insult people.

Ummmm do you not know what you posted?  it’s below.  How is that insulting you to point out that it is an incorrect statement?  

If the ability for all to vote continues to be impacted by gerrymandering 

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Ummmm do you not know what you posted?  it’s below.  How is that insulting you to point out that it is an incorrect statement?  

If the ability for all to vote continues to be impacted by gerrymandering 

I'm not going to be baited into playing this game with you.

Good luck.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, nic said:

Dems will get it back. 2022 is not looking good at all, but something eventually happens that swings politics. I think some of the Dems 2022 issues are self inflicted this time. Bad marketing….

Some of their issues, sure, but the rules are stacked against them and it's not a fair fight. Hard to see a path for proportionate or even balanced power in the future with the way that the GOP is cooking and bending the infrastructure of our democracy.

5 hours ago, NM11046 said:

If the ability for all to vote continues to be impacted by gerrymandering and GOP moves then Dems may never hold a majority again.

Good point, and something I'm very nervous about going into the future.

Also, just so you are aware, I think we all understand the point of what you mean.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Some of their issues, sure, but the rules are stacked against them and it's not a fair fight. Hard to see a path for proportionate or even balanced power in the future with the way that the GOP is cooking and bending the infrastructure of our democracy.

Also, just so you are aware, I think we all understand the point of what you mean.

Who’s right to vote will be impacted by gerrymandering?   Who will NOT be able to vote who previously could vote?  Pretty simple question.   

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

What's the purpose of gerrymandering?  Simple question

Drawing district lines for congress that would favor the party drawing them in the next election. Both parties have done it since ….forever. State legislatures decide…I think. If  Republicans hold more state legislatures after a census they get to redraw more boundaries. There are rules, but plenty of ways to get around them in your favor.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, nic said:

Drawing district lines for congress that would favor the party drawing them in the next election. Both parties have done it since ….forever. State legislatures decide…I think. If  Republicans hold more state legislatures after a census they get to redraw more boundaries. There are rules, but plenty of ways to get around them in your favor.

And this is healthy for democracy how?

A heavily gerrymandered district doesn't weaken somebody's vote, effectively rendering that vote useless, no?  Does that sound like it impacts one's right to vote?  I mean they did hold "elections" in Saddam's Iraq, didn't they?  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Yep, We all know 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why should we allow it?  Why wouldn't we want to stop both parties from doing this?

This was the first time. 1812.

250px-The_Gerry-Mander_Edit.png

Printed in March 1812, this political cartoon was made in reaction to the newly drawn state senate election district of South Essex created by the Massachusetts legislature to favor the Democratic-Republican Party. The caricature satirizes the bizarre shape of the district as a dragon-like "monster", and Federalist newspaper editors and others at the time likened it to a salamander.

…and there are restrictions….

The US Supreme Court has affirmed in Miller v. Johnson (1995) that racial gerrymandering is a violation of constitutional rights and upheld decisions against redistricting that is purposely devised based on race.

…but it should be done by a neutral committee. If there is such a thing anymore.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, nic said:

This was the first time. 1812.

250px-The_Gerry-Mander_Edit.png

Printed in March 1812, this political cartoon was made in reaction to the newly drawn state senate election district of South Essex created by the Massachusetts legislature to favor the Democratic-Republican Party. The caricature satirizes the bizarre shape of the district as a dragon-like "monster", and Federalist newspaper editors and others at the time likened it to a salamander.

…and there are restrictions….

The US Supreme Court has affirmed in Miller v. Johnson (1995) that racial gerrymandering is a violation of constitutional rights and upheld decisions against redistricting that is purposely devised based on race.

…but it should be done by a neutral committee. If there is such a thing anymore.

I really don't care who started it 200 years ago.  Are about now and moving forward.  

I believe this is a major issue that needs resolved.  Problem is, the voters aren't putting pressure on elected officials that benefit from this crap.

• Plus1 1