Biden's America

38 minutes ago, deedsker said:

It would still be voting for you representative for your state. Wyoming can't be fixed and senate seats are usually done in off years meaning no state is supposed to have two senators elected at the same time. You can't fix one off votes.

You can fix one-offs by getting rid of gerrymandering. Proportional voting basically gets rid of the districts entirely, so gerrymandering is impossible, but that's not the only solution.

19 hours ago, NM11046 said:

How exactly would we determine neutral?  I used to think that was the judicial system but that's been pretty much blown up now.

Could it be done simply on population beginning with county lines as a start?  Seems like there would be similar values and needs in most counties of x size (when you get to someplace like Lincoln & Omaha and other more metro areas that's where I think lines get drawn cutting up county)

The other part of my initial comment was “if neutral even exists anymore”. I am not sure how to answer your question. The exciting part of this gerrymandering discussion is that I see a disdain for the practice from all sides. That is common ground and encouraging. :cowbell:

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I see, so not ranked choice voting but proportional voting. I wonder if there's Constitutional issues with proportional voting for the Senate or House that would require an Amendment.

I've got to learn more about proportional voting - I think that would then essentially allow each vote to actually count right?  Vs a Dem in a really red district who's vote is really worthless?

13 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I've got to learn more about proportional voting - I think that would then essentially allow each vote to actually count right?  Vs a Dem in a really red district who's vote is really worthless?

Correct, but proportional voting only works if there's multiple seats getting voted on simultaneously, like voting for all of the members of a city council at the same time.

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...