Biden's America

20 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Walk me through how he becomes Dictator for life in this fantasy world of yours?  Like specifically how it comes to fruition please.  

He runs for President promising to be a dictator from Day One and prosecute his deep state enemies. Check. 

He wins the Republican nomination in a landslide and reads it correctly as a mandate. Highly likely. 

He chooses a Vice-President who would be willing to subvert the Constitution in the way Mike Pence wouldn't. Won't be hard. 

He either wins the election outright, or contests the loss again, unafraid to use J6 tactics already used and endorsed by the party that elected him. 

He fills every position with loyalists. We're no longer talking about Rex Tillerson. We're talking about Mike Flynn who LITERALLY CALLED FOR A MILITARY COUP AGAINST THE US GOVERNMENT.  https://time.com/6053336/michael-flynn-coup/

He stacks the Supreme Court with rightwing standard-bearers. Already done. 

Trump and allies develop a plan to restructure the U.S. government with sweeping executive powers that align with Trump's vision. Oh s#!t. They already did that, too.  https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/conservatives-aim-to-restructure-u-s-government-and-replace-it-with-trumps-vision

As the hellscape of a vengeful Trump enters its final year, will he declare the two term limit void and rule as dictator for life? Or will the 81 year old Trump simply handle the mantle and machinery to Don Jr.?  Remember, it he does the latter it will mean he didn't declare himself dictator for life, meaning Archy was right and we can all have a good laugh about how worried we were. 

• Plus1 4

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

True. 

So, let’s agree to do what it takes to make it not happen. No matter if you think it’s possible or not, agree?  If so we are on the same team here. 

I don’t actually know what you want me to do here?   Me saying it’s true some people are afraid Trump is gonna rule us as a Dictator isn’t me saying it has any chance in hell of happening.  It’s just acknowledging that people have a fear untethered to reality.  

Im already not voting for him.  But I’m not gonna go along with this conspiracy theory just like I wouldn’t go along with the pizZAGate conspiracy theory.  Or the Biden runs an international sex trafficking ring theory.  It’s all crazy talk imo 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

As expected you picked one little part of what was said instead of addressing the important parts. You and others like you are exactly why that mfer still has a shot at being elected again. Thanks for being part of the problem.

I’m part of the problem because I don’t believe some Bulls#!t conspiracy theory?  I’m part of the problem because I’m voting for DeSantis?   LOL. 

BTW….the “little part of what was said” is actually the point of the entire discussion.   There is no Semantics.   You’re either a Dictator or you aren’t.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

I’m part of the problem because I don’t believe some Bulls#!t conspiracy theory?  I’m part of the problem because I’m voting for DeSantis?   LOL. 

BTW….the “little part of what was said” is actually the point of the entire discussion.   There is no Semantics.   You’re either a Dictator or you aren’t.  

No, that just happens to be the only part of the discussion YOU want to focus on. Read my whole post and get back to me. Or don’t, IDGAF.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

He fills every position with loyalists

How.   The Senate has a say so in this and is currently run by your friend Chuck Schumer.  

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

He stacks the Supreme Court with rightwing standard-bearers. Already done. 

How?  The Senate, currently run by Schumer has a say so in this.  McConnell has no interest in being controlled by a Dictator.  Actually, come to think of it, no Senator has said they would like to have Trump as Dictator of USA.   And BtW….the right wing standard bearers have already ruled against some “right wing” agenda items :dunno

9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Trump and allies develop a plan to restructure the U.S. government with sweeping executive powers that align with Trump's vision. Oh s#!t. They already did that,

And how does the grand scheme of our future overlords come to fruition?  Everyone just says s#!t, oh well! 

11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

As the hellscape of a vengeful Trump enters its final year, will he declare the two term limit void and rule as dictator for life? Or will the 81 year old Trump simply handle the mantle and machinery to Don Jr.?  Remember, it he does the latter it will mean he didn't declare himself dictator for life, meaning Archy was right and we can all have a good laugh about how worried we were. 

I actually really really really now hope Trump gets elected and we all live another five years just for the satisfaction of saying how whacked out these fantasy claims were.   But then no matter what, Guy will somehow say “he tried” and we will all have a beer and laugh.  

• Plus1 1

Obviously somebody’s best course of study was not History. If only there were some historical examples of how a government transformed with the wrong person in charge. Pffft, crazy talk. Of course it could never happen.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

The semantics are pretty damn important.   I mean what are doing now?  Talking Dictator Light? Mini Dictator? 

Probably. I'm hoping the bulwarks hold, but it's hard to imagine things not getting ugly and potentially violent. 

Are you saying an unprecedented attempt at Presidential autocracy isn't something to worry about if it never reaches Worst Case Scenario? 

• Plus1 2

Seeing change especially when it's a slow erosion can be difficult especially when you don't want to see that change or you're personally insulated from it  It doesn't mean it's not happening though 

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/understanding-democratic-decline-in-the-united-states/

"Globally, it is increasingly rare for an authoritarian to come to power via a coup. Instead, democracies in decline usually experience a slow but steady erosion. The process is often incremental and episodic. Each step is only partial. There can be intermediate moments of apparent stability or equilibrium.

The electoral road to breakdown is dangerously deceptive… People still vote. Elected autocrats maintain a veneer of democracy while eviscerating its substance."

The U.S. is already listed as a backsliding democracy.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/nov/22/us-list-backsliding-democracies-civil-liberties-international

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

How.   The Senate has a say so in this and is currently run by your friend Chuck Schumer.  

How?  The Senate, currently run by Schumer has a say so in this.  McConnell has no interest in being controlled by a Dictator.  Actually, come to think of it, no Senator has said they would like to have Trump as Dictator of USA.   And BtW….the right wing standard bearers have already ruled against some “right wing” agenda items :dunno

And how does the grand scheme of our future overlords come to fruition?  Everyone just says s#!t, oh well! 

I actually really really really now hope Trump gets elected and we all live another five years just for the satisfaction of saying how whacked out these fantasy claims were.   But then no matter what, Guy will somehow say “he tried” and we will all have a beer and laugh.  

For the record, I would be thrilled to be wrong, about both Trump's chances of being elected and what he will attempt if he gets in.

I just remember laughing when Trump announced his candidacy in 2015, and have since promised myself never to underestimate Trump or his supporters again. Although I must concede I didn't think Trump was crazy enough to orchestrate the J6 scenario or attempt to intimidate state officials believing he could override the election. It was real third world s#!t, and thank God enough people came to their senses, before deciding to capitulate to Trump after all, declaring the storming of the Capitol legitimate political discourse, endorsing his bats#!t threats, and sweeping him into office again. 

But your faith in Chuck Shumer is adorable. And your McConnell example is telling. He may have no interest in being controlled by a dictator, but he absolutely lost the Republican Party to the wishes of Donald Trump, along with every other establishment Republican. And over there on the farther right, they consider him a literal gift from God. 

Your problem is the phrase "dictator for life" as if anything less renders the concern laughable. It's your straw dog strategy and it's tiring. 

I'm still not clear. Are you willing to join me and Chuck Shumer in opposing Donald Trump should he attempt to do exactly what he's promised to do?

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Your problem is the phrase "dictator for life" as if anything less renders the concern laughable. It's your straw dog strategy and it's tiring. 

Well, Dictators tend to stay Dictators till they no longer exist as a life form or get killed off by a future dictator.  
But let’s just use the term Dictator for going forward to appease you….straw dog not withstanding.  

22 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm still not clear. Are you willing to join me and Chuck Shumer in opposing Donald Trump should he attempt to do exactly what he's promised to do?

What will you be doing exactly? Besides posting on HB of course.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Obviously somebody’s best course of study was not History. If only there were some historical examples of how a government transformed with the wrong person in charge. Pffft, crazy talk. Of course it could never happen.

Sure.  So far it’s Dictators 0 years in control and US Democracy 248 years in control.  O for 248.   

A chance of something that has literally never happened in this country to what is considered to be the strongest Nation in the World with the most stable system of government.  

Yet I’m the one engaging in crazy talk?!?!?!?!?!????Pffft

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Well, Dictators tend to stay Dictators till they no longer exist as a life form or get killed off by a future dictator.  
But let’s just use the term Dictator for going forward to appease you….straw dog not withstanding.  

What will you be doing exactly? Besides posting on HB of course.  

Several posters have given you variations on the same concern, and provided links suggesting it's far from paranoia. I guess you might feel guilty, having voted for the man twice, or it's entirely possible you believe Donald Trump will never get away with doing what he's promised to do. Maybe that fails to rise to your definition of "dictator" anyway, at which point you win the semantics battle and we can all sleep better.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Sure.  So far it’s Dictators 0 years in control and US Democracy 248 years in control.  O for 248.   

A chance of something that has literally never happened in this country to what is considered to be the strongest Nation in the World with the most stable system of government.  

Yet I’m the one engaging in crazy talk?!?!?!?!?!????Pffft

Like I previously said and you failed to comprehend or chose to ignore, the end result is not what you should focus on. It’s the attempt and the attached erosion of what has kept us a democracy for so long. Or is your story now that Trump would not punish those who oppose him, that he would not place puppets in positions of power? That he learned nothing about where he failed on his first run at subverting an election? They were just rowdy tourists, amiright?

You sure do place a lot of trust in Trump’s good nature. Yeah yeah, obligatory “I won’t vote for him” bs. If you think he is not a danger and damaging to our democracy, I don’t know what else to tell ya. It wouldn’t do any good anyway, proven by your failures so far.

You keep saying you’re going to vote for Desantis. Unfortunately for you he isn’t going to be on the ballot. I think we all fully understand what you’ll do at that point. I mean why should we take you at your word, you won’t even take Trump at his own words.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Several posters have given you variations on the same concern, and provided links suggesting it's far from paranoia. I guess you might feel guilty, having voted for the man twice, or it's entirely possible you believe Donald Trump will never get away with doing what he's promised to do. Maybe that fails to rise to your definition of "dictator" anyway, at which point you win the semantics battle and we can all sleep better.  

Just because some posters might say 2 plus 2 is 5 doesn’t mean I have to believe that fairy tale either:thumbs

Like I told you before.  You all can do the worrying for the rest of us and Feel free to give me a ring in 2029 when DJT doesn’t leave the WH or he claims that DT Jr is automatically installed as “President” with no election (like you suggested could happen).  It’s just tin foil fear mongering IMO until we get to that point and I will PROFUSELY grovel and apologize if/when that happens.   And I expect you will do the same when it doesn’t.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I don't understand why people think laws won't ever be broken and governments can never change.

• Plus1 1