Penn State - What Did We Learn?

knapplc

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And knowing how to play within the design of the defense.  I know Henrich, had a bust on that 30-yard TD run, but Nelson seems to run around like a chicken with his head cut off.

That one play when Nelson got hurt, the report was that he dinged up his passion.  

Just now, knapplc said:

Yes. Records don't matter tonight. All we needed was a win.

Yep...This was getting a monkey off the back type of win.

Now go beat Illinois.

What this shows is how lame that loss to NW was...because NU should be 2-1, looking to go 3-1.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Yep...This was getting a monkey off the back type of win.

Now go beat Illinois.

What this shows is how lame that loss to NW was...because NU should be 2-1, looking to go 3-1.

Yes. We won the Illinois State Championship last year, and the best we can possibly do is go 1-1 this year. Sucks.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Never will I use that abbreviation for those uppity Chicagoans

Most of the kids who go to NW aren’t from Chicago. They are from the East coast or other states in the Midwest and had to go to NW because they couldn’t get into a real Ivy League school. Chicago barely recognizes that NW exists. If you ask most Chicagoans, they would like to see DePaul be good in sports. 

• Plus1 1

DOMANN, Honas, and Williams had an excellent game today. I can honestly say that they won the game for us. Their energy was infectious and they showed heart. Luke played well but can still improve and he will. He is still young and that is why it is important for Frost to invest in this young talent. However, in my opinion, the problem has been the bad play calling on the part of Frost, especially in the red zone. We are still missing some more weapons on offense. We miss good receivers like Spielman and Frost failed to get our receivers more involved. The one time he did, it resulted in a touchdown. Why stop and go back to the predictable QB draw down the middle time and time again. That was lazy, sloppy and lackluster on the part of Frost. 

My hope is that this win energizes our team and most importantly Frost realizing he needs to improve as a play caller because the future of the Huskers depends on that. I personally did not buy his excuses in the presser. He was not very convincing. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

We've made a lot of improvements on defense, but getting off the field on 3rd downs is a huge issue right now. Part of the problem is we're not stoning guys and allowing YAC. We do a good job of making contact at or behind the LOS, but we often don't get the ball carrier down on the first hit.

• Plus1 4
Just now, ZRod said:

We've made a lot of improvements on defense, but getting off the field on 3rd downs is a huge issue right now. Part of the problem is we're not stoning guys and allowing YAC. We don't good job of making contact at or behind the LOS, but we often don't get the ball carrier down on the first hit.

I thought we had been better at that in the first two games but it was not good today.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I thought we had been better at that in the first two games but it was not good today.

It was glaring today. Against Northwestern I think we did ok, but I noticed the same thing. They just don't have the athletes on offense Penn State does.

Super happy with how these guys swarm to the ball though. I've missed that for a long time.

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Tackling remains an issue, especially in the secondary. Severe says that both safeties pose a problem for the defense because they don’t like to use those 2 things attached at their shoulders, called arms, to tackle. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1