Penn State - What Did We Learn?

knapplc

16 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Domann had another great game today and had some key stops. (13 TT) Heck Honas (12 TT) has been so much better this year and had a great day too.  Dismuke with 15 TT today.  Noa-Pola Gates sneaking in 2 tackles!

Hard to be mad at the D giving up 500 yards when we got crushed in time of possession.  Learned today that our D can be tough and looks a lot tougher than last year.  Regardless we've got some things to clean up there too.  They got tough at the end when it counted today though.

I think Domann’s eyes glow red 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Toe said:

One stat that stood out to me: Penn State 501 yards, Nebraska 298. Both teams have struggled in the red zone this year, but Penn State sucked worse today.

Our defense is our best offense. 

I think this stat can be misinterpreted. Teams playing with a lead might go into prevent. 

1 minute ago, KCBuc said:

Luke needs to switch the ball to the other hand before going out of bounds.

I’ve never been so excited to see NU beat an 0-3 team. 
There has to a DE better than #44 in the Juco ranks. 

44 is an OLB, but yes NU brought in Pheldarius Payne from the JUCO ranks in the last recruiting class.  I would expect Payne to take more and more PT from 44.

• Plus1 1

Learned I'm pretty much a glass half-full guy except when it comes to the Huskers. ;) Glad they one, but....

1. WAY too much love for a defense that just got gashed for 500 yards. Seems guys are often in position to make plays, but too much poor tackling. They hit hard, but many times getting juked or falling off runners like they're covered in Vaseline.

2. Frost & staff getting badly outcoached in second halves. Happens to the best once-in-while. Unfortunately, this is a trend. (3 f'ing points all season?!!!)

3. McCaffrey generally hits his location on passes. Spirals are ugly, but much better putting ball on target than in dirt or airmailing like AM. I'm not convinced we win this came with him. More passes would've been missed and possibly more picked. AM doesn't bring anything more as a runner than LMC.

At halftime, though PSU greatly added to the first half success, really thought I'd come up away feeling much better about the team's improvement 3 games into year 3. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

For all our faults and ability to lose/give away games...

there is one undeniable fact:

Frost is bringing back toughness. 

for the first time since Suh manhandled people 

We actually look tough. Damn it feels good to watch players look tough 

• Plus1 8

My big three:

1) Luke McCaffrey played pretty well for it being his first start and having so little overall game experience. Frost and even the commentators hammered on this, but I think it's true with Luke - he does seem to make quick decisions. Do they win that game with AM? I'm not sure... I'm not really a fan of playing that game. But, there was something mildly comforting about having Luke in there. I felt a bit more confidence. Is that a byproduct of some of AM's struggles or Luke's success? I'm not sure yet. At this point, perhaps a bit of both.

2) Defense deserves quite a bit of praise. They made some big plays when they needed to. Got hammered a lot early on third down and finished out OK giving up 8/17. Gave up a ton of yards which is obviously concerning. Struggled at the point of attack, but they were more stiff in the red zone. Without that interception and scoop and score, that would've been a much more difficult game to win, so defense deserves credit.

3) Second half offense was pretty woeful and this feels like a trend with this staff. It seems like the players' execution drops off and/or the staff struggles to make the needed adjustments to keep scoring points. Whatever it is, it sure does make it tough to win.

42 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Domann had another great game today and had some key stops. (13 TT) Heck Honas (12 TT) has been so much better this year and had a great day too.  Dismuke with 15 TT today.  Noa-Pola Gates sneaking in 2 tackles!

Hard to be mad at the D giving up 500 yards when we got crushed in time of possession.  Learned today that our D can be tough and looks a lot tougher than last year.  Regardless we've got some things to clean up there too.  They got tough at the end when it counted today though.

Good eyes catching NPG out there. I didn’t notice, but feel like I’ve been waiting forever for him to get out there. 

• Plus1 1