Penn State - What Did We Learn?

knapplc

I will eventually make a longer post with my takeaways but i wanted to put this here because I thought it was very applicable to NU football currently:

We just needed to win a damn football game at this point. The biggest takeaway I have from this game is despite a multitude of things going against NU today, melting down in the second half, turning the ball over, etc, NU still made enough plays when it mattered to win that football game. And we should celebrate the hell out of it because I know each and every one of you on this board just like me were watching that game today and fully expecting PSU to go score and either get a two point conversion to win or send it to OT. Enjoy the win and now lets build off it.

• Plus1 3
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

It’s not even a question, Tomich was better than RG, and I really liked Randy when he was at NU. Tomich was an All-American and two-time All-Conference. 

Meh. As a fully actualized individual during both careers, Randy Gregory had more raw talent than Tomich. Tomich benefited from playing on a line featuring a couple of Peters brothers, and opposite Grant Wistrom. He often faced single blockers, and drew very little attention compared to his fellow line mates.

Gregory, on the other hand, was the focus of opposing O Lines. He was the Wistrom of his era.

• Plus1 3

Just now, knapplc said:

Meh. As a fully actualized individual during both careers, Randy Gregory had more raw talent than Tomich. Tomich benefited from playing on a line featuring a couple of Peters brothers, and opposite Grant Wistrom. He often faced single blockers, and drew very little attention compared to his fellow line mates.

Gregory, on the other hand, was the focus of opposing O Lines. He was the Wistrom of his era.

I was at NU the same time as Tomich, so I know his history. While RG may have had more physical talent, he still didn’t have the production that Tomich did. Yes, Tomich benefitted from great players along the d-line, he was still the one making the plays and being among the best defenders in the country.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I was at NU the same time as Tomich, so I know his history. While RG may have had more physical talent, he still didn’t have the production that Tomich did. Yes, Tomich benefitted from great players along the d-line, he was still the one making the plays and being among the best defenders in the country.

Compare the lines. It's pretty easy to see Tomich was the weakest link on that crew. And it's pretty easy to see Gregory was the scariest.

Switch the two. Gregory in Tomich's era, Tomich in Gregory's. Whose stats stand out more? Either Gregory crushes Tomich's career stats or Wistrom or any of the Peters Bros. eclipses their career marks.

I have nothing but love for Jared Tomich. Dude was the pinnacle of the walk-on program. But he was not the same player as Gregory. Better teammate? Yes. Better cog in the wheel? Yes. More talented? No.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, UniversalMartin said:

Over the past 3 games the one thing that most sticks out is our DB, LB and DT look the part for the most part...we need edge rushers desperately 

Robinson is going to he JJ Watish 

Seems like a stretch at this point with such a small sample size. I'll give you a shade more than Crick. 

3 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Seems like a stretch at this point with such a small sample size. I'll give you a shade more than Crick. 

If Robinson ends up to be as good as Crick, then that would be a great career for Robinson. 

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Compare the lines. It's pretty easy to see Tomich was the weakest link on that crew. And it's pretty easy to see Gregory was the scariest.

Switch the two. Gregory in Tomich's era, Tomich in Gregory's. Whose stats stand out more? Either Gregory crushes Tomich's career stats or Wistrom or any of the Peters Bros. eclipses their career marks.

I have nothing but love for Jared Tomich. Dude was the pinnacle of the walk-on program. But he was not the same player as Gregory. Better teammate? Yes. Better cog in the wheel? Yes. More talented? No.

It’s not always about talent. Gregory had amazing talent. But, who was the better player? Give me Tomich. 

• Plus1 3

42 minutes ago, knapplc said:

38 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It’s not always about talent. Gregory had amazing talent. But, who was the better player? Give me Tomich. 

source.gif

• Haha 6