Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Sounds to me by the words I write that I want, and by the recruitment of Haarberg and Torres, SF wants, a starter who is more of a pass first QB:dunno    If pocket passer is the label you want to use so be it.  Hopefully that’s not smarting off too much for your taste.  

Why can't you just answer a simple question? What was the style offense that Adrian played in?

Looking at the W/L column and a few plays throughout a game, then pointing at one player and saying they were the wrong player for the offense (when you can't even describe the offense) is stupid. Not to mention pass first doesn't even actually mean anything in an offense that is historically around 60/40 run/pass.

Everyone knows Adrian's issues over the last 4 years. A lot of people (yourself included) also want to ignore his supporting cast and put the blame squarely on the QB. It comes with the territory I suppose but it's asinine. I don't understand how anyone expected him to be successful without receivers one year, running backs most years, and a horrible O-line his last year. His decision making was lackluster in crunch this year, but then he was also the only one who seemed to keep us alive to get to crunch time.

Frost has consistently recruited similar QBs to Adrian since he's been here. The height has changed but the overall blueprint is still the same. A guy with a good arm and wheels (a Mariota prototype). Also, I'm pretty sure Adrian threw for more yards his junior year of high school than Haarberg his senior year or Torres his Junior year. So I'm still not sure what a pass first QB even is to you.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

My intended reply was to say he will not be playing Michigan, Oklahoma, Michigan State, OSU or Wisconsin.  But playing against good teams wasn’t the problem. It was the Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois games that are unexplainable. I don’t even know who’s left in the B12, but I would think the caliber is closer to the latter list   

He'll be playing a similar level of competition in my opinion.  Big 12 will still have Texas and Oklahoma next year and Baylor, Okie State and Iowa State are no slouches.  

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

Why can't you just answer a simple question? What was the style offense that Adrian played in?

Looking at the W/L column and a few plays throughout a game, then pointing at one player and saying they were the wrong player for the offense (when you can't even describe the offense) is stupid. Not to mention pass first doesn't even actually mean anything in an offense that is historically around 60/40 run/pass.

Everyone knows Adrian's issues over the last 4 years. A lot of people (yourself included) also want to ignore his supporting cast and put the blame squarely on the QB. It comes with the territory I suppose but it's asinine. I don't understand how anyone expected him to be successful without receivers one year, running backs most years, and a horrible O-line his last year. His decision making was lackluster in crunch this year, but then he was also the only one who seemed to keep us alive to get to crunch time.

Frost has consistently recruited similar QBs to Adrian since he's been here. The height has changed but the overall blueprint is still the same. A guy with a good arm and wheels (a Mariota prototype). Also, I'm pretty sure Adrian threw for more yards his junior year of high school than Haarberg his senior year or Torres his Junior year. So I'm still not sure what a pass first QB even is to you.

You seem a bit to salty here...  I suggest stepping back away from the edge...  -_-

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, ZRod said:

I’ve never ignored the supporting cast and have posted about it previously.  You seem to ignore that to make a non existent point.  Please understand what people have posted before making up stories about what you think they posted. Not sure why your doing it?? 

The fact that you don’t understand what a pass first QB is speaks volumes to your knowledge about the position.  Sorry I can’t help you better understand.  

If AM was the exceptional QB you think he is, I wonder why he isn’t here anymore (when he wanted to be here)?  Makes you wonder a bit doesn’t it.  

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Are we sure he’s playing in 2022? His next season might be 2023. 

Having to sit out an entire season might explain his exit. Who knows how 2023 will find the Huskers and their offensive scheme. I think it was a bit of a no brained for him to move to KSU 

This. My dad mentioned the same theory this weekend. 

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I’ve never ignored the supporting cast and have posted about it previously.  You seem to ignore that to make a non existent point.  Please understand what people have posted before making up stories about what you think they posted. Not sure why your doing it?? 

The fact that you don’t understand what a pass first QB is speaks volumes to your knowledge about the position.  Sorry I can’t help you better understand.  

If AM was the exceptional QB you think he is, I wonder why he isn’t here anymore (when he wanted to be here)?  Makes you wonder a bit doesn’t it.  

Look at you doing the same thing you're criticizing me for. Where did I say he was exceptional? I think a mutual parting of ways was all but invertible after this year.

I just think you're pulling stuff out of your butt is all. You're just using catch phrases that don't really have meaning to describe players, and when I pointed it out you just keep being vague and snooty.

1 hour ago, twofittyonred said:

You seem a bit to salty here...  I suggest stepping back away from the edge...  -_-

I'm sorry I don't remember ever responding to you.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Look at you doing the same thing you're criticizing me for. Where did I say he was exceptional? I think a mutual parting of ways was all but invertible after this year.

I just think you're pulling stuff out of your butt is all. You're just using catch phrases that don't really have meaning to describe players, and when I pointed it out you just keep being vague and snooty.

Im sorry you didn't realize this was a public forum..

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
56 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It’s ok to not understand the position.  It’s the hardest one in sports to play or understand how to play.  

If AM was so good and it’s just his supporting casts fault, the “mutual parting of ways” would not have occurred.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s ok to not understand the position.  It’s the hardest one in sports to play or understand how to play.  

If AM was so good and it’s just his supporting casts fault, the “mutual parting of ways” would not have occurred.  

Kewl, so you literally can't backup what you're saying and just want to attack my intelligence. Got it.

1 hour ago, twofittyonred said:

Im sorry you didn't realize this was a public forum..

I'm sorry I thought this was a Wendy's.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, ZRod said:

Kewl, so you literally can't backup what you're saying and just want to attack my intelligence. Got it.

I'm sorry I thought this was a Wendy's.

I already backed up what I’m saying multiple times.  You just are not accepting it.  

Im not attacking your intelligence, just your knowledge of QB play 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I already backed up what I’m saying multiple times.  You just are not accepting it.  

Im not attacking your intelligence, just your knowledge of QB play 

You're a true gem! All you've said is that situationally Martinez played poorly. He was the wrong QB for an offensive scheme you refuse to describe. That you want a pass first QB, but can't, or refuse, define what that actually is. And apparently the QB recruiting has change to pass first, but the QBs referenced passed less than Martinez... Quality points all around.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, ZRod said:

You're a true gem! All you've said is that situationally Martinez played poorly. He was the wrong QB for an offensive scheme you refuse to describe. That you want a pass first QB, but can't, or refuse, define what that actually is. And apparently the QB recruiting has change to pass first, but the QBs referenced passed less than Martinez... Quality points all around.

1) yes I do believe I am a gem.  Thanks for pointing that out. 
2) yes AM played poorly situationally.  Just so happens to be the most important situations for a QB to be in! Weird how that works 

3) I’ve described it.  It’s a spread with RPO aspect for suit AM’s ability.   Put whatever label you want on it that pleases you 

4). Pass first QB is pretty self explanatory.  But since you can’t figure it out on your own, it’s a QB who progresses through his reads before taking off out of the pocket (because pressure eventually will come, it’s just a matter of time) to first look again for a receive that has broken free or take the open field rush if it’s in front of him.  I’ve given you multiple examples of this.  It’s a you problem if you refuse to acknowledge this. 
5).  Laughable at best if you think NU’a last two QB recruits are similar in how they play as AM.    
6). Yes I agree that I have made quality points all around.  Thank you for acknowledging this. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

1) yes I do believe I am a gem.  Thanks for pointing that out. 
2) yes AM played poorly situationally.  Just so happens to be the most important situations for a QB to be in! Weird how that works 

3) I’ve described it.  It’s a spread with RPO aspect for suit AM’s ability.   Put whatever label you want on it that pleases you 

4). Pass first QB is pretty self explanatory.  But since you can’t figure it out on your own, it’s a QB who progresses through his reads before taking off out of the pocket (because pressure eventually will come, it’s just a matter of time) to first look again for a receive that has broken free or take the open field rush if it’s in front of him.  I’ve given you multiple examples of this.  It’s a you problem if you refuse to acknowledge this. 
5).  Laughable at best if you think NU’a last two QB recruits are similar in how they play as AM.    
6). Yes I agree that I have made quality points all around.  Thank you for acknowledging this. 

So when did AM not sit in the pocket and look for open receivers? I thought the gripe was that he was often in the pocket too long? Now it wasn't long enough?

Adrian is 6th national in yds/att. If he could have played against Iowa he probably would have been close to top 25 in total passing yards nationally too. Everything else with the exception of INTs and passing TDs was pretty middle of the road and blah for him. Some INTs weren't his fault, didn't really matter, or were flukes; but that's the way it goes. Interestingly AM's stats aren't too dissimilar from a playoff teams QBs from the B1G with 2 more games under his belt.

Your criticism of redzone passing (situational) earlier is pretty interesting because for obvious reasons it's much more difficult to pass and score passing TDs in the redzone. So, I crunched some numbers:

By my count out of the 97 redzone plays Martinez participated in (minus Fordham because the play-by-play was jacked up): 68 were runs and 29 were passes. Adrian had a 52% completion rate in the RZ and threw for 6 TDs. There were 18 rushing TDs for the team in the RZ with AM in. If you want to include the final drive against Wisconsin where we got moved back to the 21 for holding he would drop to 44% passing in the redzone, but there were other plays during the season with success and TDs just outside the 20.

For comparison in 2021 Tom Brady, Kirk Cousins, and Mahomes are 61-60% in the redzone. Winston is 76%. The rest of the league is pretty much scattered around the 50s. I can't really find a similar stat for the NCAA, so from an NFL comparison Adrian was a little lacking. There were 2 redzone picks but we know the OU one was meaningless. Again, NFL comparison only 5 regular QBs have no picks in the redzone. TDs is much more difficult to quantify since NFL teams tend to pass at a much higher rate then college teams. For Brady's redzone passes (let's just use the GOAT here) just under a quarter of them go for TDs. Adrian is right at a quarter.

So was AM actually bad in the redzone passing wise, or did we just run the ball a lot more (something fans have cried about since time eternal) and his passing was meh with an ok TD/pass att production?

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1