What is the future of the Republican Party?

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

A part of me just wants the band aid ripped off and we get what we deserve. Have the Republican voters get everything they want, then see what comes of it. Unfortunately, being right about what would come of it comes with a lot of negative repercussions.

There have been historical precedents for that to happen and we don't want to go down that road if we can avoid it. 

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

There have been historical precedents for that to happen and we don't want to go down that road if we can avoid it. 

People will never learn if it doesn't happen and we'll keep having this standstill, however the problem is I think we would end up with a dictator and there's no coming back from that, at least in our lifetimes.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

People will never learn if it doesn't happen and we'll keep having this standstill, however the problem is I think we would end up with a dictator and there's no coming back from that, at least in our lifetimes.

Yes, I agree.  Trump or Trump light would want to control absolutely  - Trump and his ilk have already been upfront on the kind of purge they want to do in govt.  

• Plus1 1

28 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, I agree.  Trump or Trump light would want to control absolutely  - Trump and his ilk have already been upfront on the kind of purge they want to do in govt.  

Scary situation but I often wonder if this country would even be governable at that point.  Would we submit to an authoritarian regime considering individual liberty is in our DNA now or

would people take to the streets in mass protests triggering either a military crackdown or civil war?  There's examples historical of both scenarios playing but the advantage is to those in power obviously.

I also wonder if any of our guardrails would hold up as in the case of Johnson's idea to criminalize what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes.  How can that even be constitutional?  I can't believe we've reached the point where we're even thinking about this.  

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

A part of me just wants the band aid ripped off and we get what we deserve. Have the Republican voters get everything they want, then see what comes of it. Unfortunately, being right about what would come of it comes with a lot of negative repercussions.

I agree.

Start by only spending on each district what they contribute in tax dollars. It can be optional even! 

4 hours ago, Scarlet said:

What the hell does “She’s spent the last couple of weeks on her knees in prayer to the Lord. And, um, she’s a little worn out.” mean and why would he think any sane person cares to hear about that?  

the-handmaids-tale-by-his-hands.gif

• Plus1 1