What is the future of the Republican Party?

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

All he is is an agitator   - not for things - just against.  That is what the GOP has mostly become.  Loud mouths that don't have the capacity to provide meaningful legislation.   It takes smarts, intelligence, emotional balance, communications/negotiation skills & an ability to work with people to get things done in Congress.  Jordan is void of those qualities.  If the majority of the GOP has become like him, then it is better that they become the minority party and let the adults lead.   Jordan as speaker will be a disaster.  

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 5

A couple years ago...but interesting article

https://www.leadershipconnect.io/congress/2021/11/17/the-most-active-and-effective-members-of-the-117th-congress/

• While the overall number of bills that become law or even advance to another chamber is very low, there is no significant overlap between most active members of congress — those who sponsor the most bills total- and the most effective members — and those who sponsor bills that eventually get passed.  
  • None of top five most active members of each of the five caucuses studied have sponsored a bill that became law, with the one exception of Young of Alaska
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Am I the only one that didn't know that it's actually possible for a minority member to be speaker of the house?

Didn't know that.

Literally anyone can be speaker (which I learned after McCarthy's ouster) which is terrifying.

• TBH 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Am I the only one that didn't know that it's actually possible for a minority member to be speaker of the house?

Didn't know that.

Well technically it can happen. But I think you would be hard pressed to find 1 or 2 Rs that would jump sides and vote for a Dem (or vice versa). I’m not sure it has ever actually happened that a minority party has been elected speaker.