What is the future of the Republican Party?

12 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Voter IDs are just fine, so long as the ID is free and doesn't discourage legitimate voters. I imagine you would agree with that premise. These laws however should be thrown out, as they taxing the right to vote as these govt. IDs are not free, in violation of Amendment 24th of the Constitution.

In regards to purging voter rolls, no issue with purging dead people, but when they are purging people simply because they haven't voted in the last few cycles, or haven't updated their address, that is voter suppression. 

heaven forbid someone with my name dies.   i will be purged from the voter rolls and have no idea that i can't vote because i doubt they mail alerts to people purged from the rolls.   that is where the massive "dead people voted" results are coming from.   99% of them are people with the same name being accused of being dead voters.

7 minutes ago, commando said:

heaven forbid someone with my name dies.   i will be purged from the voter rolls and have no idea that i can't vote because i doubt they mail alerts to people purged from the rolls.   that is where the massive "dead people voted" results are coming from.   99% of them are people with the same name being accused of being dead voters.

Don't think it's that simple, but I understand your point. 

38 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Voter IDs are just fine, so long as the ID is free and doesn't discourage legitimate voters. I imagine you would agree with that premise. These laws however should be thrown out, as they taxing the right to vote as these govt. IDs are not free, in violation of Amendment 24th of the Constitution.

In regards to purging voter rolls, no issue with purging dead people, but when they are purging people simply because they haven't voted in the last few cycles, or haven't updated their address, that is voter suppression. 

I agree with all this.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, SECHusker said:

I’m all for voter ID laws as CB long as an ID is very easy and free to get.  

There are legal Americans with no ID and no birth certificate.  

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m all for voter ID laws as CB long as an ID is very easy and free to get.  

You do realize that there are legal Americans with no ID and no birth certificate to get one, right?

Which is why I think these laws are unconstitutional, as to require an ID or birth certificate is tantamount to imposing a tax.

And even if they are free the bureaucracy one might have to navigate to get these forms of verification, may be tantamount to voter suppression. However, certain safe guards need to be in place because we could have another reckless politician that may implore their constituents to vote twice, as we did in this election.

Trump is destroying the GOP on his way out of the door.  I guess when a party ties its own reputation around the neck of a narcissistic president, how could we not imagine a different outcome.  Time for the GOP to standup against this loser and tell him he is 'yesterday's news' and move on. 

Regarding the bold below - I expect riots and violence as a result. 

https://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Maneuvering-by-Trump-creates-deep-rift-in-GOP-15846215.php

President Donald Trump is effectively sabotaging the Republican Party on his way out of office, obsessed with overturning his election loss and nursing pangs of betrayal from allies whom he had expected to bend the instruments of democracy to his will.

Trump has created a divide in his party as fundamental and impassioned as any during his four years as president, with lawmakers forced to choose between certifying the results of an election decided by their constituents or appeasing the president in an all-but-certain-to-fail crusade to keep him in power by subverting the vote.

As Republican lawmakers took sides before Wednesday's joint session of Congress to certify the electoral college results, some on Monday voiced rare criticism of Trump for his attempt to pressure Georgia elections officials to change vote totals there on a Saturday phone call, a recording of which was published by The Washington Post.

Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the No. 3 House Republican, said the call was "deeply troubling" and urged all Americans to listen to the hour-long conversation, while Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Pa., condemned it as "a new low in this whole futile and sorry episode." One of Trump's most loyal defenders, Sen. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., said it was "not a helpful call."

Trump signaled that he had little patience for defections by members of what he dubbed the "Surrender Caucus." After Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., announced that he was not joining the band of GOP lawmakers objecting to the electoral college results, Trump criticized Cotton on Twitter and warned that voters would "NEVER FORGET!"

Trump is trying to mobilize a show of strength that could intimidate lawmakers who certify the result, exhorting his supporters to travel to Washington for mass protests Wednesday. He is planning to speak to the crowd on the White House Ellipse about midday Wednesday, two officials familiar with the planning said.

Trump in recent days has criticized Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., for having "NO FIGHT," publicly recruited a primary challenger to the Senate's No. 2 Republican, John Thune of South Dakota, and called on Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, a Republican, to resign.

Thirteen senators and more than 100 House members are planning to object to the electoral college results in Wednesday's proceedings, but Trump is befuddled as to why many more Republicans are not falling in line with him, advisers said.

Fueling the president's indignation is his belief that he is the true victor, because that is what the advisers in his ear continue to tell him, according to one of Trump's closest advisers, who like some others interviewed for this report spoke on the condition of anonymity to be candid.

"He incontrovertibly thinks he won - and he thinks he won big - and the people around him don't disabuse him of that because they don't want to get crosswise, and because they told him he was going to win, so they can have it both ways," this adviser said. "It's not about his inability to move on. It's about his inability to even diagnose what happened. He won't yet conduct the autopsy, if you will."

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Republicans see the writing on the wall. They can survive if they modify their platform and turn away from authoritarianism, but at the moment they're focused on crying about how society has turned away from them.

Boohoo....What a bunch of snowflakes.

This sums up where the right is.  They just can't stand it when people disagree with them....especially when it's a majority of Americans.

This really is an interesting view into their mind set.  A party should be formulating their views and nominating candidates that reflect the views of the American people.  If the public rejects those views and candidates, it's not the public's fault.  It's that the party is broken.....or simply represents a minority of Americans.  If they are fine with representing a minority, that's fine.  That is their choice and those Americans have the right to have a voice in politics. But, if the majority rejects it...it's not an indictment on the majority.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This really is an interesting view into their mind set.  A party should be formulating their views and nominating candidates that reflect the views of the American people.  If the public rejects those views and candidates, it's not the public's fault.  It's that the party is broken.....or simply represents a minority of Americans.  If they are fine with representing a minority, that's fine.  That is their choice and those Americans have the right to have a voice in politics. But, if the majority rejects it...it's not an indictment on the majority.  

Amen. 

41 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

DADE: Well, they are. The interest groups are trying to fill in the void of information, where to get the IDs, what kind of documents you need to get them when you show up so you're not caught unawares.

As far as the states go, they are issuing non-driver voter IDs. Many of them are for free, but the problem is, when you go to Department of Motor Vehicle offices, the waits are very long, they're time consuming. The governor of Tennessee, who's a Republican, by the way - he has expressed concern about the average wait times there, which extend well beyond an hour. And if you're talking about thousands of elderly, in particular, they can't wait that long.

So states are providing a solution.  Wait times can always be shorter, but I’m sure these folks spend much longer waiting in their respective doctor offices on a monthly basis, and this is a one time only wait.  

• Plus1 2