Returning players

chamrocck

So a silver lining in this Covid year which to me seemed like a glorified practice season is that we get this extra “year” of experience.  I don’t see guys leaving for the NFL on our roster.  Some may have an outside shot but I actually see others benefiting staying another year and their stock could be in a much better position.  Like who on this roster leaves?  Could this have also contributed to some of the transfer outs because they saw their position would not be open next season either?

Jaimes probably has the best shot of getting into the NFL. Domann maybe could. The rest, if they seriously want a shot, should probably stick around another year. This might be a crowded year in the NFL draft, due to players opting out/opting to leave early...

A wildcard is just where guys are at in their personal lives. Most if not all of them will have graduated before next fall. Some of them might feel like they're just ready to move on to the next phase of their lives. Others might choose to become grad transfers.

I see Domann as a guy that would benefit a lot by staying.  He fills a high need position on our team and needs the extra experience to make the NFL in my opinion.  Another year could really benefit him.  Actually a lot of guys on defense could do well by staying another year.  Honas, Dismuke, and Williams certainly.  Bootle and Stille too.  Are any of these guys making NFL rosters?   

5 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I see Domann as a guy that would benefit a lot by staying.  He fills a high need position on our team and needs the extra experience to make the NFL in my opinion.  Another year could really benefit him.  Actually a lot of guys on defense could do well by staying another year.  Honas, Dismuke, and Williams certainly.  Bootle and Stille too.  Are any of these guys making NFL rosters?   

If Nate Gerry can make a NFL roster so can Domann.  Honas needs another year but he has been playing much better.  Dismuke and Williams might make a practice squad.  Williams has the want to, to get in the mix but he never wraps up and has no ball skills.  Bootle I could see making it somewhere on special teams but he also lacks ball skills to play NFL corner.  That being said Dismuke and Bootle probably need to move on.

• Plus1 3

8 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I am wondering who will return.  My Christmas list would have Domann at the top of the list.  The rest?  Not sure.  I will have to think about it.

No doubt but I think it is unlikely that he will return.  Miller was playing pretty well before his injury and was a team captain.  I'd think he'd come back and we need the depth at linebacker.

None of these guys are NFL ready. They'd all benefit from returning for one more year, but what do they really have to offer? They've been here 4-5 years already and are still well behind being anywhere near the level needed to compete with team like Ohio State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. They talk some great stuff on post game press conferences, but as a unit don't show up on game day.

Their overall record is what? 17-34 or something of the like? They leave, they leave, they stay I guess it's added depth for hopefully what is a must needed talented young group.

• Plus1 1

Jaimes/Farniok can both probably be bubble picks or priority free agents. Leaving now gives you a slight edge to make it to contract number 2 if they are to ever make it. Both still have upside that could be added by coming back, but I would be surprised if they did.

Bootle is probably an edge case on getting picked as well. He has shown overall talent/knowledge to play, but probably lacks speed/size to really make it. Could exist in hybrid corner/safety roll on 3rd down and special teams. He could be back to try and up his stock, but I would bet he takes his chances now.

Stoll's injury probably hurts his ability to get to the NFL. He would have been a fringe player who could sneak his way onto a roster, but he lost opportunities with his injuries and teams may be less excited about him. Another year could give him the stage to up his profile. 

Domann is probably on the bubble as well. High motor and solid coverage skills likely finds him an opportunity to make a roster, but another year would also serve him to showcase his ability and potentially shoot up the rankings. He is likely gone though, imho.

Williams is a question. He doesn't wrap up, he constantly targets, and he is everywhere all the time. The NFL seems to forgive the first two from so many safeties, so I don't know. I don't think he will make a roster, but I think he probably tries.

Dismuke is more sound then WIlliams, but likely doesn't have the same pizazz. I think he has a better chance at making it as a special teams player, but don't know how NFL will look at his play at safety. Safeties are not highly prized, but I think he tries his hand at it.

Miller is probably not on the NFL radar anymore and, if he still wants to play, can easily come back. After his injury, he may want to be done anyway.

Miles probably doesn't have a NFL profile and could stick around another year to try again. Running backs don't last, so he should go if he wants to try, but I don't see it working out.

Honas is solid. I don't think that makes him ready for the NFL by just being a solid college linebacker. He has chances to come back and see if he can become the leader of the defense, but I am unsure if he is willing to roll the dice.

Stille and Wilson probably don't have the raw talent to make a NFL roster. They both can probably come back if they want or just give the NFL process a whirl.

Falck has seen the field quite a bit and was a consistent producer. He can stick around another year if he want to keep playing but has no future prospects more than likely.

Culp doesn't strike me as an NFL kicker. He could come back and keep kicking or just call it a day.

6 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Jaimes/Farniok can both probably be bubble picks or priority free agents. Leaving now gives you a slight edge to make it to contract number 2 if they are to ever make it. Both still have upside that could be added by coming back, but I would be surprised if they did.

Bootle is probably an edge case on getting picked as well. He has shown overall talent/knowledge to play, but probably lacks speed/size to really make it. Could exist in hybrid corner/safety roll on 3rd down and special teams. He could be back to try and up his stock, but I would bet he takes his chances now.

Stoll's injury probably hurts his ability to get to the NFL. He would have been a fringe player who could sneak his way onto a roster, but he lost opportunities with his injuries and teams may be less excited about him. Another year could give him the stage to up his profile. 

Domann is probably on the bubble as well. High motor and solid coverage skills likely finds him an opportunity to make a roster, but another year would also serve him to showcase his ability and potentially shoot up the rankings. He is likely gone though, imho.

Williams is a question. He doesn't wrap up, he constantly targets, and he is everywhere all the time. The NFL seems to forgive the first two from so many safeties, so I don't know. I don't think he will make a roster, but I think he probably tries.

Dismuke is more sound then WIlliams, but likely doesn't have the same pizazz. I think he has a better chance at making it as a special teams player, but don't know how NFL will look at his play at safety. Safeties are not highly prized, but I think he tries his hand at it.

Miller is probably not on the NFL radar anymore and, if he still wants to play, can easily come back. After his injury, he may want to be done anyway.

Miles probably doesn't have a NFL profile and could stick around another year to try again. Running backs don't last, so he should go if he wants to try, but I don't see it working out.

Honas is solid. I don't think that makes him ready for the NFL by just being a solid college linebacker. He has chances to come back and see if he can become the leader of the defense, but I am unsure if he is willing to roll the dice.

Stille and Wilson probably don't have the raw talent to make a NFL roster. They both can probably come back if they want or just give the NFL process a whirl.

Falck has seen the field quite a bit and was a consistent producer. He can stick around another year if he want to keep playing but has no future prospects more than likely.

Culp doesn't strike me as an NFL kicker. He could come back and keep kicking or just call it a day.

I agree for the most part, just maybe higher on Jaimes, Domann, and Stille than you are. I don't know how to evaluate the OL, but they've talked Jaimes up a lot and I can't say I've noticed him much this year (which is good). Domann's case depends entirely on how fast he actually is, but the past few games he's been running with WRs. If he runs in the 4.5s, he'll get picked for sure. Stille has shown a little pass rush upside, I think he could be a rotational guy.

If they all left (unlikely), I'd bet on Jaimes, Williams, and Domann getting drafted with Honas, Bootle, Dismuke, Mills, and Farniok as UDFAs. Kind of a crap shoot for who could stick though, they all have strengths along with significant shortcomins. I will say Farniok is probably better than people think, but he whiffs at the absolute worst times and in the NFL he'd have to deal with speed every week. Honas has impressed me this year, but I really don't know how athletic he is.  

I think Nebraska fans are a little biased on Domann. He is a great player this year for us, but I don't think NFL level is going to seek him out. If he is way faster than we know, yes he can be drafted, but his stock right now would be low before combine measurables come in. I think he probably is good enough to sneak onto a roster where ever he gets the chance, but I don't know if he is draftable right now.

• Plus1 2

19 minutes ago, deedsker said:

I think Nebraska fans are a little biased on Domann. He is a great player this year for us, but I don't think NFL level is going to seek him out. If he is way faster than we know, yes he can be drafted, but his stock right now would be low before combine measurables come in. I think he probably is good enough to sneak onto a roster where ever he gets the chance, but I don't know if he is draftable right now.

I agree, there is a vast differance between CFB speed and NFL speed.  I think he needs another year.  The fact that his dad is an angent means he will get a look, but I don't think he is NFL ready.

29 minutes ago, deedsker said:

9 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I agree, there is a vast differance between CFB speed and NFL speed.  I think he needs another year.  The fact that his dad is an angent means he will get a look, but I don't think he is NFL ready.

I dunno, Nate Gerry was a 5th round pick and while I'm sure much of this is just fast white guy = fast white guy, they seem pretty similar and I'd prefer Domann. Gerry had experience playing Safety which in theory gives more flexibility, but he had to move to LB anyway and last I looked was giving up something like a perfect passer rating when being targeted this year. Domann has actually played his NFL position (sub LB), and has a similar knack for finding the ball. But I do consistently overestimate Nebraska guys' draft stock, this is true.

• Plus1 2

The question I have are any of these players going to be pushed by Frost to go out the door.  Thanks for your 4 years but it is time to move on.  As someone noted above, some of these players have been here years and haven't had a big impact. It is time to see what the young guys can do - having the same old play from some of the older guys delays the development of the younger guys. 

With that said, I'd like to see Honas stay - he has come on strong and I think he will only improve.  He hasn't been here for 4 years like some of the others. 

I'd like to see Domann stay and improve his NFL profile. 

Stille, I think he can still help us as we need depth in that position. 

I'm ready for Williams to move on. 

Bootle & Dismuke have had their good moments here.  I think they would be an asset to retain. 

Mills - I don't know if he's ever been given a full chance to shine here.  We start to run and then Frost goes cute on offense.  He has had injuries that have slowed him down.  He's never lived up to the perceived potential - that may very well be on Frost and the other coaches.

Jaimes - I think he goes to the NFL and will be missed here. 

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I dunno, Nate Gerry was a 5th round pick and while I'm sure much of this is just fast white guy = fast white guy, they seem pretty similar and I'd prefer Domann. Gerry had experience playing Safety which in theory gives more flexibility, but he had to move to LB anyway and last I looked was giving up something like a perfect passer rating when being targeted this year. Domann has actually played his NFL position (sub LB), and has a similar knack for finding the ball. But I do consistently overestimate Nebraska guys' draft stock, this is true.

I don't know where to check, but I would guess there is a vast difference between Gerry's speed and Domanns.

Just now, Crusader Husker said:

I don't know where to check, but I would guess there is a vast difference between Gerry's speed and Domanns.

Gerry was a track guy and I think ran faster before he really bulked up, but he ran a 4.58 at the combine at 218 lbs. Domann is listed at 230, but wouldn't shock me if he's also around that 218. I don't know if he can, but if he also breaks 4.6 his stock will shoot up. But we'll see - could be 210 and run a 4.7, then all bets are off.

• Plus1 1