Staff Changes

HANC

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I don't think we have zero WR vertical threat.  This is a narrative people have been using this year and I find it a bad take.  Every single team in the country has at least one vertical threat.  We have a previous top 10 overall WR in the room in just Oliver Martin and we have at least three 4 star WR's on the roster...you don't get 4 stars by being slow and not a vertical threat.

Where were they all year then? 

• Plus1 5
2 hours ago, lo country said:

And all of this in year 4.....That's what concerns me the most. "Total rebuild" or not, no reason in year 4 we should still have so many holes.  RB, WR, OLB, OL (potential young talent, but no depth behind them) etc....Still no idea what Lubick does if Frost is really OC and unsure Austin had any input as running game coordinator.  That's why I am hoping more of the seniors come back on D.  A lot of depth back there to lose at one time IMHO. They were/are improving.

Honest question, do you realize lubick is in his first year on the staff? 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Decked said:

Sark has never been able to win more than 9 games and that might be the minimum he has to win almost yearly to keep his job at UT. Bold move, Texas. 

Sark was also an alcoholic that was going through a divorce.  Saban taking him under his wings have been the best thing for him and probably saved his life.  Im happy for Sark.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

I don't think we have zero WR vertical threat.  This is a narrative people have been using this year and I find it a bad take.  Every single team in the country has at least one vertical threat.  We have a previous top 10 overall WR in the room in just Oliver Martin and we have at least three 4 star WR's on the roster...you don't get 4 stars by being slow and not a vertical threat.

And just 2 years ago we had one of the best WR recruiting classes in the nation.  I dont by the zero vertical threat at all. 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, desertshox said:

Honest question, do you realize lubick is in his first year on the staff? 

Yep.....My question is geared towards Frost is the OC.  Not a knock on Lubick. Just really wonder how much say does he have in the O.  Same with Austin.  Until Rutgers, I saw nothing that resembled Austin's pre-season comments.  When I saw the O perform and "look" different, I was hoping this was Lubick's influence.  Play calling (I am assuming 90% Frost) is one of multiple issues plaguing the O.  Hoping that he can make an impact...But Walters was with Frost for 4 years IIRC and was let go.  And our O for whatever reason, Riley's guys, better AM, better OL play, Walters, etc was better than this year.  Again, because of multiple issues.  If Lubick isn't calling plays, what is his real purpose?  And our 4* receivers that were mentioned earlier didn't play or quit.....And Lubick is their position coach.  I am not expecting all world, but to have guys ready for a limited rotation isn't too much to ask.  Same with RB's....

On another note, watching Iowa St and their 5* culture vs 5* athletes.  Matt Campbell gets it.  Great job of identifying guys and coaching them up.  Year 5 and has them humming pretty well. Constant improvement.  I liked him running a lot of 12 and 13 personnel groups to not just catch passes, but block. A lot.  Use what you have, not what you want.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

And just 2 years ago we had one of the best WR recruiting classes in the nation.  I dont by the zero vertical threat at all. 

This issue is another example of multiple issues on O. Is this QB play, WR issues, play calling, OL play or what.  It's be great if we had just one issue.  But it's OL, QB, play calling, lack of receiver play, development, penalties, mental mistakes, miscues, TO's etc.....

How does one fix all of those issues?  I've got no answers.  

41 minutes ago, Toe said:

@lo country So basically, your position is that Frost can do nothing right and anything that looks good must have been because of one of the other guys.

In year 3?  Honestly, yes.  But Frost has done some good things,  Recruit his a$$ off.  Kids don't quit.  Not a lot of off the field drama that isn't addressed.  Lubick was hired to be the OC/receivers coach.  And brought in by Frost.  Either Lubick is or isn't...  And to be honest, year 3 of Frost and recruiting has yet to translate to what he was hired to do....Win.  I am a buck stops with the man at the top, a  thumb pointer as it were.   Sadly, regardless of players, we still make the same bone headed mistakes across the board.  I'm still all in on Frost.  Just getting tired of the same crap.

@lo country frost has mentioned that lubick does a lot of the OC during the week, ie game planning, think he mentioned organizing practices. You also have to remember he didnt have all spring with his position group and the fall didnt lend itself to integrating new players to the offense. Given how highly some on the board have spoken of lubick, we might see what appears to be an entirely different wr room next fall after a full spring of development.

Edited by desertshox
Dear lord i couldnt type
  • Plus1 5