Staff Changes

HANC

2 hours ago, BigRedN said:

You probably put a load of shame on 25% of the Husker faithful in here.   I'm attracted to Eve, not Steve.  But, you did make me smile.  The previous wife would probably place that one on me as well.   :-)  Grateful that God took care of the root and made me new and then I grew up a bit more.

Here is hoping for Scott to grow ... while he spends more time with those young men.

Kudos for taking a joke well.  We all want the same just approach it differently.  Cheers

On 1/3/2021 at 4:04 PM, Lightfighter214 said:

Giving them credit for fixing snaps hightlights how bad and inept the staff is.  It took them 2.5 years to make a simple adjustment?

Rutgers is a perfect example of bad timeout is usage. They go for two and our defense isnt close to lined up. We don't call a timeout because as frost said "i was busy getting the next offensive series ready"

It's been obvious that Frost doesn't know a lot about what's going-on with the D and ST's because the O takes-up so much of his focus. This was a prime example. Meanwhile our O's production has dropped markedly for the second season in a row.  Frost needs to replace Mario with a quality OC/qb-coach then back-off into more of a GM role where he addresses the team as a whole. We also need a legit ST's coordinator. 

2 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Im okay with him still running the offense, but he needs a number he trusts to be able to manage the defense/game when he cant.

Lots of coaches do that.

I would say Frost needs to figure it out. I don't know what the right answer is. The only thing I do know is what we are doing now isnt working. I would be curious to see how some of the top staffs have their coaching staffs broken out. Say Dabo, Saban, Meyer when he coached. We all know they have OC, DC. But how do they split out the rest of their coaches? OL, DB's, WR's etc. I would be interested to see if we are using the same formula most of them do or do we have our staff broken out different.

3 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Im okay with him still running the offense, but he needs a number he trusts to be able to manage the defense/game when he cant.

Lots of coaches do that.

The defense seems to be improving and is the strength of the team.  I feel confident in the coaching on that side.  He needs to be working with the Offensive coaches and ST to fix those areas.

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The defense seems to be improving and is the strength of the team.  I feel confident in the coaching on that side.  He needs to be working with the Offensive coaches and ST to fix those areas.

I agree, I only have a problem with the lack of special teams oversight - Rutgers two point conversion, for example. Maybe that should be Chinander since it's technically defense. But they clearly expected a regular extra point, and that comes down to during the week coaching with whoever they assigned to handle the field goal/extra point block. I don't think it was worth a timeout when we couldn't get lined up right, but even if they decided it was I believe only Frost or a player on the field can call it. He can delegate ST to whatever coach he wants, but Frost has to be present enough to get a timeout if they need it - more likely to be necessary on non-extra point ST plays, but still. He can wait the extra 30 seconds for the extra point to be snapped to go set up the next series on offense.

What gets me about that one is the swinging gate is the kind of thing you cover in fall camp and occasionally throw it in at random during the season practices. It's rare sure, but it's not new and we made sure we new assignments for swinging gate stuff in high school. Can throw you for a loop if you're not prepared, but it is very easy to prepare for. You just have rules and need to know how to count. 

18 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I agree, I only have a problem with the lack of special teams oversight - Rutgers two point conversion, for example. Maybe that should be Chinander since it's technically defense. But they clearly expected a regular extra point, and that comes down to during the week coaching with whoever they assigned to handle the field goal/extra point block. I don't think it was worth a timeout when we couldn't get lined up right, but even if they decided it was I believe only Frost or a player on the field can call it. He can delegate ST to whatever coach he wants, but Frost has to be present enough to get a timeout if they need it - more likely to be necessary on non-extra point ST plays, but still. He can wait the extra 30 seconds for the extra point to be snapped to go set up the next series on offense.

What gets me about that one is the swinging gate is the kind of thing you cover in fall camp and occasionally throw it in at random during the season practices. It's rare sure, but it's not new and we made sure we new assignments for swinging gate stuff in high school. Can throw you for a loop if you're not prepared, but it is very easy to prepare for. You just have rules and need to know how to count. 

This wasn't a normal fall camp for us.  I think in a normal year, you are teaching those intricacies.  This past fall we were teaching a third of the team the playbook. 

I think as players understand the basics of our offense and defense better, coaches can spend a bit more practice time working on ST. 

16 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

This wasn't a normal fall camp for us.  I think in a normal year, you are teaching those intricacies.  This past fall we were teaching a third of the team the playbook. 

I think as players understand the basics of our offense and defense better, coaches can spend a bit more practice time working on ST. 

In general sure, but this is like a ten minute thing. When you learn your position on the field goal block team (which is not difficult), you also learn what to do if they come out in a weird formation. It should just be a rule - if you're the end guy, you probably always go outside with the wide players. If you're in the middle, you probably have to count. But it should be a one-time, very quick thing that is reinforced periodically throughout the normal field goal sessions which I'm sure are pretty rare but do already happen.

And to be fair, I don't care that much about the swinging gate specifically. But it's the attention to detail for all special teams. There are really only so many ways a punt or field goal formation can go. If we screw up a swinging gate defense, whatever. But we screw that up, and don't have anybody to account for a punter who does a rugby style kick twice in a season, I'm annoyed. Those don't take time to fix, accounting for them is (or should be) baked into your rules on special teams that all of the ST players should know. I guarantee we see a few more quirky special teams things early next year because we've proven to be susceptible to them. 

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I would say Frost needs to figure it out. I don't know what the right answer is. The only thing I do know is what we are doing now isnt working. I would be curious to see how some of the top staffs have their coaching staffs broken out. Say Dabo, Saban, Meyer when he coached. We all know they have OC, DC. But how do they split out the rest of their coaches? OL, DB's, WR's etc. I would be interested to see if we are using the same formula most of them do or do we have our staff broken out different.

Playoff teams this year:

Alabama - QC/QB, DC/ILB, STC/TE, RB, WR, OL, DL, OLB, CB, S

Clemson - OC/RB, DC/LB, STC/TE, QB, WR, OL, DT, DE, CB, S

Ohio State - OC/TE, DC, Co-DC, STC/S, QB, RB, WR, OL, DL, LB (Special Teams is done by a quality control coach)

Notre Dame - OC/QB, DC/LB, STC/RecruitC, RB, WR, OL, DL, DB, CB (I don't see a 10th listed)

Alabama and Clemson are all but identical - we are very similar minus the TE coach having the STC title.

Notre Dame is the only one with a dedicated coach for Special Teams - Ohio State has an analyst like we do

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Playoff teams this year:

Alabama - QC/QB, DC/ILB, STC/TE, RB, WR, OL, DL, OLB, CB, S

Clemson - OC/RB, DC/LB, STC/TE, QB, WR, OL, DT, DE, CB, S

Ohio State - OC/TE, DC, Co-DC, STC/S, QB, RB, WR, OL, DL, LB (Special Teams is done by a quality control coach)

Notre Dame - OC/QB, DC/LB, STC/RecruitC, RB, WR, OL, DL, DB, CB (I don't see a 10th listed)

Alabama and Clemson are all but identical - we are very similar minus the TE coach having the STC title.

Notre Dame is the only one with a dedicated coach for Special Teams - Ohio State has an analyst like we do

So the only thing we are missing from the top teams in regards to staff structure is more emphasis on special teams. 

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

So the only thing we are missing from the top teams in regards to staff structure is more emphasis on special teams someone with a different title. 

The fix is true.  Your statement is your narrative subject to painting everything in the most negative light possible.

• Plus1 5
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The fix is true.  Your statement is your narrative subject to painting everything in the most negative light possible.

Sorry you dont like the truth. Was our special teams good this year? Or any year rather since Frost has been here. 

If we have been putting an emphasis on special teams I think that is actually worse because it means we suck at coaching special teams and have no clue what the hell we are doing. 

At least if they need to emphasis it more maybe that means more attention would reap better results. 

So you think it is not true we need to emphasis special teams more? You don't think it speaks volumes that we don't think it is important enough to even give someone the title of being in charge of special teams yet the top teams do? Didn't Frost make a comment mocking kickers essentially? So that tells you what he thinks of special teams and it shows on saturdays.

• Plus1 2
26 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Sorry you dont like the truth.

It's quaint that you speak of truth while insisting you know things that you can't possibly know.

So you think it is not true we need to emphasis special teams more? You don't think it speaks volumes that we don't think it is important enough to even give someone the title of being in charge of special teams yet the top teams do?

Ohio State doesn't either.  So they must not care that much by your logic.

Didn't Frost make a comment mocking kickers essentially? So that tells you what he thinks of special teams and it shows on saturdays.

I don't recall this. I'd be interested for you to post a link to this comment.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Lots of coaches do that.

If our O was remotely as productive as UCF's was I would agree with you. The trade-off would be worth it. As-is I'd rather give somebody else like Helfrich the keys to the O and have Frost addressing all phases of the game and our processes in general. 

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Sorry you dont like the truth. Was our special teams good this year? Or any year rather since Frost has been here. 

If we have been putting an emphasis on special teams I think that is actually worse because it means we suck at coaching special teams and have no clue what the hell we are doing. 

At least if they need to emphasis it more maybe that means more attention would reap better results. 

So you think it is not true we need to emphasis special teams more? You don't think it speaks volumes that we don't think it is important enough to even give someone the title of being in charge of special teams yet the top teams do? Didn't Frost make a comment mocking kickers essentially? So that tells you what he thinks of special teams and it shows on saturdays.

Throwing this out there - our special teams have been crap since Callahan. We may have had one year hear and there where one phase of ST was good, like Pierson-El's freshman year, but never all 4 phases. Even during years when one phase had an up side, another phase was bad enough to cancel it out. - I think the post above hit the nail on the head. Most coaches get the offense and defense right, then try to focus on beefing up special teams- since we haven't had a staff that could get the offense and defense right since Solich (Osborne), the special teams have been neglected for 20 years. (ugh that's hard to type). The closest we've come to having good special teams is when Bo took over coordinating them because he felt the O and D were in a good enough place and ST was costing us games.