Media Bias

2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I think its particularly interesting that Hannity is now trying to lean into the "press is protected" angle.  After his own network said "nobody actually believes are opinion anchors tell the truth"

To be fair, all three cable networks have said that.  

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

To be fair, all three cable networks have said that.  

And to be fair - they weren't using it as a way to avoid sharing information on their own involvement in an armed insurrection.  

The others have said it when protecting sources, or when they were being spied on by our own or other govenerments.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, NM11046 said:

And to be fair - they weren't using it as a way to avoid sharing information on their own involvement in an armed insurrection.  

The others have said it when protecting sources, or when they were being spied on by our own or other govenerments.

No not really.  Just follow the court case with Rachel Maddow.  It’s no different across the three.  

• Plus1 2

54 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

No not really.  Just follow the court case with Rachel Maddow.  It’s no different across the three.  

You're going to have to bring me up to speed on this one - the only active recent case I know about Maddow is the one vs OAN that she actually won.  I have no knowledge of her communicating with any presidential officials during or leading up to an armed insurrection.

• Plus1 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2022/01/05/sullivan-hannity/

There is a difference between being a news person who reports facts in an unbiased way (or shoot even being an opinion show host) and in being an ally, and advisor and a part of the administration.  Hannity was giving advice.  That negates the "news" part of his supposed Fox news role.  The "We" in his text messages (as well as from Laura I.) is all one needs to read to know that he was not acting as a journalist during the insurrection.  A journalist would have been reporting on the coup.  Not giving tips on what to say and do or not do.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

You're going to have to bring me up to speed on this one - the only active recent case I know about Maddow is the one vs OAN that she actually won.  I have no knowledge of her communicating with any presidential officials during or leading up to an armed insurrection.

She didn’t communicate with Trump.  Her show was sued however and defense testimony provided said her show was opinion and should not be relied upon as stating facts or truth. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
54 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2022/01/05/sullivan-hannity/

There is a difference between being a news person who reports facts in an unbiased way (or shoot even being an opinion show host) and in being an ally, and advisor and a part of the administration.  Hannity was giving advice.  That negates the "news" part of his supposed Fox news role.  The "We" in his text messages (as well as from Laura I.) is all one needs to read to know that he was not acting as a journalist during the insurrection.  A journalist would have been reporting on the coup.  Not giving tips on what to say and do or not do.

Chris Cuomo advised his brother. people in the press end up in administrations. It really is across all the media at different levels and they all try and act like they are not partisan. Then they throw rocks in glass houses when accusing their competitors of it. It’s sad, but a reality that is getting worse in a hyper partisan world. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If Rachel Maddow was one of Joe Biden's closest advisors while maintaining her prime time news & opinion show, I would find it troubling. 

Check out the stories about Lawrence O on MSNBC and his closeness to Ron Klain/Joe Biden 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, nic said:

Chris Cuomo advised his brother. people in the press end up in administrations. It really is across all the media at different levels and they all try and act like they are not partisan. Then they throw rocks in glass houses when accusing their competitors of it. It’s sad, but a reality that is getting worse in a hyper partisan world. 

And all his communications were discovered and disclosed to his employer and he was canned because it was considered inappropriate.

Not seeing any similarities with Fox/Hannity or any of the others there that were texting POTUS yet ...  

edit: people do things that are bad - any of us would lose our jobs if we did something against company policy or the government.  These people shouldn't be treated any differently

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, NM11046 said:

And all his communications were discovered and disclosed to his employer and he was canned because it was considered inappropriate.

Not seeing any similarities with Fox/Hannity or any of the others there that were texting POTUS yet ...  

edit: people do things that are bad - any of us would lose our jobs if we did something against company policy or the government.  These people shouldn't be treated any differently

I think he would have survived with a suspension if the sexual harassment accusations didn’t start to pile up as well. That pushed CNN over the edge on letting him go. But you are right, Hannity won’t even get suspended.  

• Plus1 1

Jon Stewart once again being the hero we need but don't deserve.

He was recently shooting the s#!t with some of his (I believe) writing team on his podcast, and they started joking about the Harry Potter films and how the goblins that run the bank have more than zero resemblance to Jews. Here's that link:

Then, ALL of the media jumped on to the, "Jon Stewart accuses J.K. Rowling of Anti-Semitism" narrative. But Jon wasn't having it, and issued a very strong rebuttal here:

• Plus1 4