Media Bias

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

or example, I know any U.S. president would condemn a mass school shooting, but that doesn't mean they should wait two days to say anything about it while their PR people are on Twitter like "but do we even know if there was a gunman?"

A mass school shooting is in no way shape or form the same as 10-20 very dumb people holding racial signs on a corner of Orlando.  

I believe she asked the question because of what the Lincoln Project tried to do to Youngkin.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Are there other examples of this?  

CRT may be a “faux”problem to you but that doesn’t actually make it a faux problem.  

Yes. Remember when Trump talked about “good people on both sides

As far as CRT, isn’t the big concern with it that Republicans don’t want it taught in k-12? Yet, by and large, CRT isn’t being taught at all except in college level courses?

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

A mass school shooting is in no way shape or form the same as 10-20 very dumb people holding racial signs on a corner of Orlando.  

I was making an analogy, which are inherently imperfect. I wasn’t comparing school shootings to a white supremacy street fight.

I think the point still stands though in that it is weird to just kind of ignore the elephant in the room while your PR people are on Twitter asking dumb questions.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Yes. Remember when Trump talked about “good people on both sides

According to non other than the former Democratic staffer turned weekday CNN news host Jake Tapper, you would not be correct with that assessment.   It’s been debunked as a statement taken out of context.   You are usually very reliable in not doing that (much better than me anyways) so it’s surprising you just did it.  

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

As far as CRT, isn’t the big concern with it that Republicans don’t want it taught in k-12? Yet, by and large, CRT isn’t being taught at all except in college level courses?

Yes but we’ve been over this multiple times now.   No right minded individual thinks an exact college level course is being taught in k-12 school.  It is my understanding that aspects of CRT are being built into the overall curriculum in some school districts.   It was shown on this board that a VA school district had it in their District plans.  

• Plus1 2
40 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I was making an analogy, which are inherently imperfect. I wasn’t comparing school shootings to a white supremacy street fight.

I think the point still stands though in that it is weird to just kind of ignore the elephant in the room while your PR people are on Twitter asking dumb questions.

I understand your point and see why you believe what you believe.  I just happen to disagree.  I think it’s gives nitwits oxygen they don’t need.  Let law enforcement deal with em.   It’s somewhat similar to how Westboro Baptist Church was handled (without the law enforcement)! Once people began to ignore them, they basically have gone by the wayside except for a few corner protests no one cares about anymore.  

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And get this: in 2021 it came out that the NFL was paying out less to Black players with brain injury claims based on the belief that Blacks have less intellectual capacity to lose. Let that sink in. 

When/how did this come out? That is disgusting. I’m having trouble believing I hadn’t heard of this before. Especially in today’s climate, how is it this wasn’t a huge unavoidable story for weeks and weeks?

10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

When/how did this come out? That is disgusting. I’m having trouble believing I hadn’t heard of this before. Especially in today’s climate, how is it this wasn’t a huge unavoidable story for weeks and weeks?

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/nfl-vows-to-halt-practice-of-using-lower-cognitive-baseline-for-black-players-in-brain-injury-claims-230607537.html

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

That's a good question for the Media Bias thread. It was a headline story when it broke, but mostly in the sports press, back water stuff in mainstream media, smh stuff on social media. 

Every day our media mavens have to rank stories according to newsworthy hook and relevance to our lives. There's so much to be outraged about.

But I agree. This is a stunning admission of present-day racism -- some of the ugliest and most ancient racism at that — and the NFL would happily be continuing the practice f it hadn't gotten caught and sued. 

• Plus1 2
22 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Are there other examples of this?  

CRT may be a “faux”problem to you but that doesn’t actually make it a faux problem.  

This idea that people who don't appreciate history and science should be allowed to edit history and science to fit their comfort level/agenda is a very real problem. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2