Insurrection fallout

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I've learned a lot about the 25th amendment in the last few days. Has Pence not? What rash action is he talking about? If he invokes it, Trump loses his power at least temporarily.

I’m guessing it’s along the lines of being nervous of igniting violent terrorist attacks throughout the country.

The thought that the current POTUS could possibly be the de facto head of a death-cult terror organization is terrifying...

6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I’m guessing it’s along the lines of being nervous of igniting violent terrorist attacks throughout the country.

The thought that the current POTUS could possibly be the de facto head of a death-cult terror organization is terrifying...

He should fear the alternative more. 

32 minutes ago, commando said:

afraid of triggering attacks?  trump has already ordered those attacks.  they are coming down the tracks like a freight train.   

You'd think Pence would want the military at someone's sane disposal if something more were to happen, although he is probably concerned about his political future.

4 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

They were outnumbered and it's not a bunker. It's possible it was the safest thing to do if they thought they were going to bust through anyway, and they did break windows.

And I dunno if the word complicit applies but the problem I have is there were people in charge who thought BLM supporters necessitated higher #s and better armor and a more violent reaction than this group of people, on the day the election was getting certified, even though they heard and saw the same rhetoric we did. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

They were outnumbered and it's not a bunker. It's possible it was the safest thing to do if they thought they were going to bust through anyway, and they did break windows.

I saw a quote from a former Capitol officer, who said just that. Open/pull back the barricades if they are about to be overrun by sheer numbers

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My biggest problem is, why were they out numbered?  Why wasn’t the national guard already deployed to protect the capital?

One possible reason is they didn't want to overreact like with the BLM protests, but I'm not buying that. I doubt any of them really thought it was an overreaction. I think they didn't take the threat seriously because it was going to be a bunch of White people, and this group of White people in particular likes to shout a lot about how much they love America and the police and the military. I don't think they thought there would be trouble.

I read an article before things got out of hand and they had 200 NG in DC but the article said they would not be armored or wearing armor. That part pissed me off because they had armor during the BLM protests.

I'm worried this will be the new playbook now. Try to get a bunch of idiot sheep to do your bidding and see if it works out. If not, blame it on an infiltration by Antifa.

'QAnon Shaman' Jake Angeli charged over pro-Trump riots - BBC News

Truth and God on his side

By Sophie Long, BBC News, Phoenix, Arizona

I arranged to meet Jake Angeli, also known as the "Q Shaman", at a rally in Phoenix on Saturday to talk about his role in Wednesday's riot, or in what he called that "beautiful day".

Timings were difficult he said, because he had a voluntary appointment with the FBI first.

I didn't find that surprising. The fact he thought he might be free to leave, more so.

But he was unperturbed because, he said, he had done nothing wrong and he had truth and God on his side.

Earlier I asked Trump supporters in Tuscon if what they saw on Wednesday had changed their opinion of the outgoing president. No, they said, it was peaceful protest that had been infiltrated by violent members of the far left.

I asked Jake Angeli if that was what he witnessed. He told me there were no members of Antifa or any other left-wing organisations present in or around the Capitol building on 6 January. It was "patriots doing what our founding fathers would have done". The reason he knew that was "because Antifa are cowards who have no commitment to their country or their cause".

Not  a pleasant walk through the airport for Lindsey Graham.  The mob wanted to capture Pence, they attack Graham and any other TRump supporter who isn't as radical as they are.    These people are becoming a 'radicalized' terror group and we need to crack down now. 

The thugs are using the insurrection to recruit.   I think we now have our own domestic active terriost group at play - forget ISIS, Forget Hamas, Forget all of the Middle East groups.  We have to crack down on this domestic terrorism here at home before it gets out of hand.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/01/07/us-capitol-riots-used-extremists-recruit-new-pro-gun-members/6588908002

WASHINGTON — Wednesday’s mob insurrection at the Capitol building in Washington, D.C., is unlikely to be the last violent action from far-right extremists, who may also be using the week’s extraordinary events to recruit members for a swelling coalition around outgoing president Donald Trump, according to experts on extremism.  

While this week’s attack was extraordinary in its brazenness, it was also a wake-up call to federal and local law enforcement that threats from far-right Trump supporters should be taken very seriously over the last two weeks of Trump’s presidency and beyond, said Mary McCord, legal director at the Institute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C.

“There’s a whole lot of talk about what happened in far-right extremist forums and chatrooms today, and about how the inauguration on January 20 will be the last stand and now is the time to recruit,” McCord said.

State capitols should ramp up security, much as Washington, D.C., has started to do, she said, in the expectation that Trump's followers may try to repeat this week's attack or worse.

Mark Pitcavage, a senior research fellow at the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism, said he’s less concerned about organized attacks on federal or state capitols — though he agreed those should be heavily guarded on Inauguration Day — than he is about individuals or small extremist groups carrying out plots or shootings in the next two weeks.

“There’s more of a danger of loose cannons going off and deciding to do something,” Pitcavage said.

It’s unclear whether Wednesday’s attack was led by any particular organization or individuals, but participants in the mob included people sporting insignia from the Oath Keepers and Three Percenters, two of the most well-known national extremist groups. 

Chris Hill, leader of the III% Security Force, an extremist group in Atlanta, said he’s been contacted by several people interested in joining groups like his since the Capitol takeover. (The Three Percenters are a loosely-affiliated collection of armed extremist groups named for the myth that only 3 percent of Americans took up arms against the British during the Revolutionary War.) 

30 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Also, if true...MAJOR development.

the republican party has a lot to clean up.    there is a criminal element in it's midst that needs to be weeded out.   i want to support the honest part of the party...but they have shown the ability to let the wrong element control them.   so while i could consider supporting Sasse....at what cost is it if half the republican party is comprised of that criminal element?  is it better to support the dems until such time that the republican party can either cleanse itself or fade into the dustbin of history?

• Plus1 1