The 2022 Congressional Elections

On 6/5/2022 at 7:15 AM, Archy1221 said:

It was always a sham to say the GA law would restrict legal voting and take “people’s right to vote” away or “suppress”  their votes away.  

https://www.mediaite.com/news/bill-maher-grills-eric-holder-on-voting-rights-photo-id-is-popular-with-69-of-black-folks-black-turnout-in-ga-went-up/

Bill Maher may have grilled Eric Holder, but Eric Holder's assessment was correct. 

Did you bother to read it, or do you stop as soon as they play the "gotcha" meme?

Both national parties + outside interests went into overdrive in Georgia. 

• Thanks 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-high-turnout-in-georgia-doesnt-mean-voting-restrictions-havent-had-an-effect/amp/

Writing off the effects of laws like Georgia’s at this early juncture is a mistake, however. As I wrote earlier this year, there’s conflicting research on the effects of certain voting restrictions, like stricter voter ID laws or limitations on absentee voting. Let’s unpack what happened in Georgia, though, to better understand why it’s important not to draw too many conclusions right now about the effects these laws will have.

It’s important to remember, though, that you can’t out-vote or out-organize voter suppression tactics, and it would be disingenuous to say that the new restrictive laws had no tangible effects on voters since we just don’t know, for instance, how many people didn’t vote or experienced difficulties because of the new law. On top of that, since primary elections tend to draw highly engaged voters, it’s way too soon to draw any conclusions about the effects of these new laws. That means that the real test of these restrictions will likely come in November.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Bill Maher may have grilled Eric Holder, but Eric Holder's assessment was correct. 

Did you bother to read it, or do you stop as soon as they play the "gotcha" meme?

Both national parties + outside interests went into overdrive in Georgia. 

I read everything I post,  thanks for asking 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

So the Republicans get the first Mexican born congresswoman to serve in the House?

"Republican Mayra Flores is projected to win a special election in Texas' 34th Congressional District, flipping a House seat after Rep. Filemon Vela, who held the seat for nearly 10 years, resigned in March and vacated the seat."

"Flores, who had 51% of the vote to Democratic candidate Dan Sanchez' 43% when the Associated Press called the race, will become the first Mexican-born congresswoman to serve in the House. Her family moved to the United States when she was six years old."

• Plus1 2

12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Looks like Republicans spent a ton of money on a race that is only going to last till November. In November, the new district goes into affect with Gonzalez as the clear favorite against her. 

That definitely could be so.  However, it shows the huge shift in Latino vote happening since 2016 which sucks for people who were convinced Texas is blue in the next decade.   If the Latino pop shifts much more, the D’s will be the minority party across the country for quite some time as it’s the largest growing pop segment I think  

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

That definitely could be so.  However, it shows the huge shift in Latino vote happening since 2016 which sucks for people who were convinced Texas is blue in the next decade.   If the Latino pop shifts much more, the D’s will be the minority party across the country for quite some time as it’s the largest growing pop segment I think  

Totally possible. Trends of education polarization seem to be gaining ground in nom-white voting blocs.

It'll be interesting to see how non-educated whites react to their party increasingly integrate Hispanic groups. Will that happen smoothly or simply further non-educated whites angst? 

52 minutes ago, knapplc said:

At this point I'm beginning to wonder if we aren't all Herschel Walker's sons. 

Walker was easily the worst possible candidate Republicans could've nominated, he may very well be the worst overall candidate running for Senate this cycle.

He probably has has a 60% chance to win in November though.

40 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Totally possible. Trends of education polarization seem to be gaining ground in nom-white voting blocs.

It'll be interesting to see how non-educated whites react to their party increasingly integrate Hispanic groups. Will that happen smoothly or simply further non-educated whites angst? 

Walker was easily the worst possible candidate Republicans could've nominated, he may very well be the worst overall candidate running for Senate this cycle.

He probably has has a 60% chance to win in November though.

People who don’t go to college are now considered non-educated? :facepalm:  I known quite a few business owners who ever went to college who are smart enough to employ quite a few folks.   They aren’t all white either.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

At this point I'm beginning to wonder if we aren't all Herschel Walker's sons. 

And this is the best the GOP can offer in GA.  Tells you how far the GOP has fallen.    To listen to talk radio (Hannity in particular) you'd think Hershel is the next great thing and is being groomed for the WH.  What a pitiful party. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Latinos really don't vote much differently than white Americans. Rural Latinos voter rural, urban Latinos vote urban. Largely Catholic, they will bring as much anti-abortion to their voting preference as they do pro-immigration. There is a cultural history of endorsing the Strong Man & machismo brand of leadership that Trump exploited. Like their white counterparts, they will embrace the Democrat policies that help them get a leg up, then once they succeed they will pull the ladder up and become Republicans. 

Texas turning Blue is about the influx of tech workers and other middle class transfers from more expensive Blue States. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

People who don’t go to college are now considered non-educated? :facepalm:  I known quite a few business owners who ever went to college who are smart enough to employ quite a few folks.   They aren’t all white either.

Democratic gains in educated voters (educated being bachelors or post grad) is a recent trend. Have the Democrat gains been with the recently indoctrinated, opps I mean educated? ;) charts from Pew Research below. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/10/26/what-the-2020-electorate-looks-like-by-party-race-and-ethnicity-age-education-and-religion/

Interesting that Republicans only make up 29% of the electorate and independents took the majority…barely. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1