Sellout Streak in 2021

13 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I really like the idea behind the Red Carpet Experience, but can only imagine that can keep the streak alive for only so long before the empty seats become increasingly too much. Would the Athletic Department reduce ticket sales to $1 just so tickets get bought? If that were the case, you could get fans from thousands of miles away buying a ticket to the game just to have bought a ticket and keep the streak alive. No doubt fans would participate in this, because it is the only prideful thing we have left for the football program.

I would suspect that if we have a decent season, the streak will continue.  If we crap the bed this season, the boosters will stop doing the red carpet and the streak will end.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would suspect that if we have a decent season, the streak will continue.  If we crap the bed this season, the boosters will stop doing the red carpet and the streak will end.

If it didn't end during the Callahan era, I just don't see it ending now. If the University didn't let it end during the Callahan era, I certainly don't see them letting it end now, because now we have even less things to hold onto as relevance. At least back in Callahan's days we had other streaks going on, and we weren't that far removed from being really good so there was hope we'd be able to get things back on track and be good again. Now, 15 years later, we have less streaks, and less hopeful forecasting.

12 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

If it didn't end during the Callahan era, I just don't see it ending now. If the University didn't let it end during the Callahan era, I certainly don't see them letting it end now, because now we have even less things to hold onto as relevance. At least back in Callahan's days we had other streaks going on, and we weren't that far removed from being really good so there was hope we'd be able to get things back on track and be good again. Now, 15 years later, we have less streaks, and less hopeful forecasting.

During the Callahan era we didn't have every game televised IIRC. Fans are now used to watching at home- especially after COVID. Demographic and fan experience expectations have shifted some. I disagree- there will be LOTS more than 1500 returned tickets to sell next year if we dont see good progress being made this season. 

22 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

If Callahan doesn't get fired, there's a very good chance the streak ends the following season in 2008.  Instead, he gets canned, Osborne brings in BP and it energized the fan base again.  The Okie State game had people shaking their heads and walking out.  They did come back (fans) for the last few home games (one being SR day). 

Last 7 games of BC era

Missouri at Columbia - L 6-41
Oklahoma State (HC) in Lincoln - L 14-45
Texas A&M in Lincoln - L 14-36
Texas at Austin - L 25-28
Kansas at Lawrence - L 39-76
Kansas State in Lincoln - W 73-31
Colorado at Boulder - L 51-65

My main point is, we don't want to be in a position like that again, or the streak will end IMO.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

During the Callahan era we didn't have every game televised IIRC. Fans are now used to watching at home- especially after COVID. Demographic and fan experience expectations have shifted some. I disagree- there will be LOTS more than 1500 returned tickets to sell next year if we dont see good progress being made this season. 

I may very well buy season tickets next year and just hold onto them and hope they become an investment like they used to be.

• Oh Yeah! 1

8 minutes ago, admo said:

If Callahan doesn't get fired, there's a very good chance the streak ends the following season in 2008.  Instead, he gets canned, Osborne brings in BP and it energized the fan base again.  The Okie State game had people shaking their heads and walking out.  They did come back (fans) for the last few home games (one being SR day). 

Last 7 games of BC era

My main point is, we don't want to be in a position like that again, or the streak will end IMO.

Wow, that made me go to Youtube and check out the Oklahoma State vs Nebraska 2007, and I must've blacked that game out of my memory, that was dreadful. But I will say I had forgotten just how long Gundy has been at OK State. But oh that was a dreadful and dreary re-watch. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, admo said:

Last 7 games of BC era

I remember paying for that Oklahoma State game on PPV and having to talk myself out of drinking at 9am (living in AZ at the time) 

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

I may very well buy season tickets next year and just hold onto them and hope they become an investment like they used to be.

I've had them in the Family for 59 years, mine for 40. When I've had extras - they are ALWAYS sold for less than face value- the last 10 years or so. Maybe 2-3 games I could have got more. Add in the contribution and you're WAY beyond a horrific investment. This weeks game right now you can buy tickets for $15. 

7 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Wow, that made me go to Youtube and check out the Oklahoma State vs Nebraska 2007, and I must've blacked that game out of my memory, that was dreadful. But I will say I had forgotten just how long Gundy has been at OK State. But oh that was a dreadful and dreary re-watch. 

It was baaaaad.  So ugly I will never forget.

I know, right?  Gundy is man!  He's 40! or 50! :lol:

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, GSG said:

I remember paying for that Oklahoma State game on PPV and having to talk myself out of drinking at 9am (living in AZ at the time) 

Wow, I feel bad you paid for it!  I sort of did too.  I stayed for the whole game at a Husker watch site.  Errbody left but me.  Except the waitresses who kept bringing me pitchers of beer

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I've had them in the Family for 59 years, mine for 40. When I've had extras - they are ALWAYS sold for less than face value- the last 10 years or so. Maybe 2-3 games I could have got more. Add in the contribution and you're WAY beyond a horrific investment. This weeks game right now you can buy tickets for $15. 

I remember the saying used to be when a Nebraskan couple got divorced the number one thing they argued over was who got the Nebraska football season tickets. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

We aren't the only program struggling to sell the last batch of tickets and, it's not just because we suck.

Michigan currently has 294 straight games with over 100k, but a sellout is 109k.  If any stadium is filled with 90%, capacity, that's great support imo. 

I get that other venues are struggling as well this year.  But 6K to 10K short of a sellout is ticky-tacky.  Especially for the large stadiums. It is still a good turn out and nothing to be ashamed of.