Sellout Streak in 2021

52 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Ive not seen anywhere where that has been stated. I read most of the stories on this, but not all. But Im thinking if this was somehow true it would have been posted here, on social media etc etc. I highly doubt that it is. If it is true- please post a link. We all know where the visitors sit and Ive not seen giant swaths of several thousand empty seats. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32156358/nebraska-football-fans-faithful-determined-keep-home-sellout-streak-alive

Trev Alberts, a former NU All-America linebacker who was hired as Nebraska's athletic director in July, conceded last week that there were a few times in the program's recent years that a booster, or a corporate sponsor, would buy a portion of unsold tickets in the days leading up to a game. But Alberts said he wants to be transparent.

He said that a few weeks ago, Fordham sent back 2,400 of its allotted tickets, and that previously in those situations, if held tickets weren't sold, it was still considered part of the sellout.

"And I didn't feel comfortable about that," Alberts said. "So I just said, 'What are we gonna do? What's our plan? Does anybody have any ideas?'"

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Do other schools who boast sellout streaks count unsold opponent tickets? 

Seems like there's really no standard for declaring a sellout streak. Seems to be arbitrary about what a school counts or doesn't count. 

I don't know what other schools do.  

I haven't seen Alberts say that they've done that.  What I've seen him say is there were other times in the past where donors bout up the last tickets to keep the streak alive.  That's been known for years if not decades.

I'm pretty sure we - and everyone as far as I know - only count it if all tickets are sold.  Maybe other have fudged on the visitors ticket numbers but I've seen nothing to make me think we have.

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Do other schools who boast sellout streaks count unsold opponent tickets? 

Seems like there's really no standard for declaring a sellout streak. Seems to be arbitrary about what a school counts or doesn't count. 

Does anyone else even tout it? I remember when the Irish fell to the wayside a few years ago, but no one else. 

Agree with you on the arbitrary nature, which lends even less credence to our "ongoing" claim the past 4 or 5 years. 

34 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I stand corrected- thanks

I for one don't care either way about the sellouts. Not sure why people obsess about it on either side. The stadium needs to be downsized and dramatically improved to compete for todays entertainment dollar and changing demographic. 

• Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I for one don't care either way about the sellouts. Not sure why people obsess about it on either side. The stadium needs to be downsized and dramatically improved to compete for todays entertainment dollar and changing demographic. 

Well you should care about it if you ever want Husker football to be good again. It is the very definition of "program support." It is the one thing left keeping us from being Fordham.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I don't know what other schools do.  

I haven't seen Alberts say that they've done that.  What I've seen him say is there were other times in the past where donors bout up the last tickets to keep the streak alive.  That's been known for years if not decades.

I'm pretty sure we - and everyone as far as I know - only count it if all tickets are sold.  Maybe other have fudged on the visitors ticket numbers but I've seen nothing to make me think we have.

In this very thread= Alberts said it

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32156358/nebraska-football-fans-faithful-determined-keep-home-sellout-streak-alive

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Husker03 said:

Well you should care about it if you ever want Husker football to be good again. It is the very definition of "program support." It is the one thing left keeping us from being Fordham.

Last I looked Fordham has a stadium that seats 7,000 and they dont fill it up. 

That would be quite a reach to compare- if we say had 85,000 sold seats in our 90,000 seat stadium. We didn't sell out, but we came pretty close, LOTS of people there, fanfare etc. 

85,000 with just 5,000 open seats would Still great fan support at Nebraska compared with Fordham who has virtually none. Not apples and apples- more like apples and Chevy Trucks

7 hours ago, Husker03 said:

Boy you've got that right. If our stadium seats 85,458 and we only sell 85,457 tickets, we are now an FCS school.

16 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Does anyone else even tout it? I remember when the Irish fell to the wayside a few years ago, but no one else.

Virginia Tech was #3 for a while, and that was just a 15-year run from 1998 to 2013. Doubt anyone else's streaks are all that notable.

• Plus1 2

I really like the idea behind the Red Carpet Experience, but can only imagine that can keep the streak alive for only so long before the empty seats become increasingly too much. Would the Athletic Department reduce ticket sales to $1 just so tickets get bought? If that were the case, you could get fans from thousands of miles away buying a ticket to the game just to have bought a ticket and keep the streak alive. No doubt fans would participate in this, because it is the only prideful thing we have left for the football program.

• Plus1 1