Huskers open as 3 point underdogs at Michigan State 9/25

seaofred92

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Getting the cart before the horse here.  But, IF we can have a lot of success against MSU through the air and win the game, it will be interesting to see how future opponents change how they defend us and how that opens up the running game.  

If MSU's secondary is that leaky, we might see some of that this game.

Your opinion vs 7 games worth of stats... All signs point to us having success through the air.  Tucker is a stop the run first kind of guy.  

Nebraska total yards gained on the season-

Passing 1121

Rushing 815

Michigan State Defensive yards allowed on the season-

Passing 808

Rushing 336  

2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Your opinion vs 7 games worth of stats... All signs point to us having success through the air.  Tucker is a stop the run first kind of guy.  

Passing 1121

Rushing 815

Passing 808

Rushing 336  

Not sure how this differs from my opinion.  I know we have been successful through the are...especially in the last three games.

That's why I said we may see some of that in this game.

So.....he's a stop the run first kind of guy.  However, he's smart enough to know his secondary is leaky.  So....again, we may see him play a little differently.

If not, and we win.....I think we will start seeing more teams work harder to stop our passing game.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Passing 1121

Rushing 815

Passing 808

Rushing 336  

I don’t disagree. If we are to have any offensive success, it will have to be through the air. Unfortunately, the thing the stats point to is that we won’t have any success running the ball. Hopefully that changes if we can really torch em through the air.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sounds similar to our FG kicking.

Well Culp has missed 3 in the 30-39 range (probably actually made one of them) and one in the 40-49, along with missing 3 extra points. So I'm gonna say we're worse - the 2/5 for their kicker jumped out, but it's a lot less concerning than our deal.

Weird note from looking up some of the stats - our opponents are somehow 1/7 kicking field goals against us. So frankly field goal kicking has probably been a wash, it just wasn't last week where we were -8 and Oklahoma only missed one for -3. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not sure how this differs from my opinion.  I know we have been successful through the are...especially in the last three games.

That's why I said we may see some of that in this game.

So.....he's a stop the run first kind of guy.  However, he's smart enough to know his secondary is leaky.  So....again, we may see him play a little differently.

If not, and we win.....I think we will start seeing more teams work harder to stop our passing game.

I misunderstood you cart before the horse comment- my apologies.

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Well Culp has missed 3 in the 30-39 range (probably actually made one of them) and one in the 40-49, along with missing 3 extra points. So I'm gonna say we're worse - the 2/5 for their kicker jumped out, but it's a lot less concerning than our deal.

Weird note from looking up some of the stats - our opponents are somehow 1/7 kicking field goals against us. So frankly field goal kicking has probably been a wash, it just wasn't last week where we were -8 and Oklahoma only missed one for -3. 

Kicking competition is back open according to Frost.  I think there is a good chance we see the Gretna kid kicking Saturday night.  I also think we see Przystup punting.  He looked good last week.  

• Plus1 1

It is not snarky to wonder how our kicking game will affect the final score.  We have not been able to rely on extra points or field goals as the kind of "near sure thing" they should be (especially the PATs).  Will this cause Frost to take more chances on 4th down?  Etc?

44 minutes ago, hagg said:

It is not snarky to wonder how our kicking game will affect the final score.  We have not been able to rely on extra points or field goals as the kind of "near sure thing" they should be (especially the PATs).  Will this cause Frost to take more chances on 4th down?  Etc?

The numbers suggest we should. They would suggest calling plays inside the 50 like it is 4 down territory instead of 3. So trying to get to makeable yardage on 4th down instead of 3rd down. Or we could continue to do what we've been doing and hoping for different results. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

The numbers suggest we should. They would suggest calling plays inside the 50 like it is 4 down territory instead of 3. So trying to get to makeable yardage on 4th down instead of 3rd down. 

Well I've always like the kind of coach who saw all 4 downs as play downs for the first, not just 3 then punt or FG attempt.  Not always practical of course.. lol.. but, as you say once in the opponent's territory hell yeah, especially knowing the unstable nature of our kicking game.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Michigan State's secondary has looked pretty leaky, especially when they were trying to account for King last week.  I expect us to run the ball but I'm guessing the majority of our yards come through the air.  Something like 70/30 air to ground in total yards.    

This seems like a pretty viable outcome for Saturday.  If AM plays similar to last weekend, I will be real excited for the rest of the season.  Will show me that he found his consistency we have all been looking for with four good games in a row. 

• Plus1 1

So it basically opened as a pick ‘em and is moved because of special teams, or lack thereof for Nebraska. 

I think this is a 6-10pt win IF the guys play like the last 3 weeks and don’t commit turnovers. Would be more if kicking game doesn’t dribble down its leg

I think the all whites with NU helmet would look nice under the lights too. 

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t disagree. If we are to have any offensive success, it will have to be through the air. Unfortunately, the thing the stats point to is that we won’t have any success running the ball. Hopefully that changes if we can teally torch em through the air.

We don’t need to have a ton  of success running, just enough to make the linebackers pause on the play action so the over the middle passing attack is effective. 

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

We don’t need to have a ton  of success running, just enough to make the linebackers pause on the play action so the over the middle passing attack is effective. 

I agree but I think our run game (blocking/line play) is going to have to improve greatly (like they have not shown yet) and MSU run D is going to have to be a little off. This looks to be one of those games where our passing is going to have to open up the run game instead of the other way around.