Slow Starts On Offense?

BIG ERN

I think it will be crucial Saturday to get out in front of Michigan St...any team for that matter - we are only avg 2.5 points in the 1Q this year. Lone TD was against Fordham. We have done well so far keeping drives alive and with our kicking game I wouldn't mind seeing us go for it on 4th down once we cross midfield anymore within reason. To go with that something not talked about enough is our terrible punting and how bad it has been for the last few years. We rarely pin teams or flip the field -- our net punting is 107th in the nation. 

Illinois: 0

Fordham: 7

Buffalo: 0

Oklahoma: 3 

#GBR

• Plus1 2

Agree with the OP, this teams mindset is so fragile early mistakes won't help them get over the hump. 

Lots or people think that MSU is all about the run and we can't afford to let them get ahead and run the ball, run the clock etc. Of course that's always true in any game. However we will have to keep the pedal to the metal-cash in on every scoring opportunity and limit turnovers because MSU can throw as well- averaging about 9 yards per attempt. 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

Anecdotal but feels like the opposite of Frost’s tenure here so far right? I feel like in previous years, we usually had a good start with scripted plays and then things bogged down.

Yep. We bring out our best, the other team adjusts, and we start looking frustrated.

I'm much bigger on halftime adjustments and strong third quarters. Oklahoma was probably the best third quarter we've had under Frost. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3
28 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yep. We bring out our best, the other team adjusts, and we start looking frustrated.

I'm much bigger on halftime adjustments and strong third quarters. Oklahoma was probably the best third quarter we've had under Frost. 

I think it's mainly a function of the offensive line not getting good push on the RB handoff plays.

I know a lot of people hate the swing passes because they were so atrocious in 2019 but I'd love to see a bit of creativity and looking for speed on the edges in the first quarter of this one.

Have a feeling that Frost is pretty stubborn about figuring out the power running, though.

• Plus1 1

56 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

We have done well so far keeping drives alive and with our kicking game I wouldn't mind seeing us go for it on 4th down once we cross midfield anymore within reason.

I also wouldn't mind Frost going full Chip Kelly and avoiding PATs altogether.  AM is a load, and giving him the ball with 3 yards from the goalline would be better than 50/50 odds, I would think...and slightly less likely to give up 2 points to the other team.

• Plus1 2

TBF, our offensive woes are not limited to the 1st quarter. I understand that we start slow but we’re also pretty slow in the middle and at the end too. Getting started faster and ahead would definitely help but at this point we should probably accept scoring any time we can get it. This offense is pretty much the exact opposite of the UCF offense.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I also wouldn't mind Frost going full Chip Kelly and avoiding PATs altogether.  AM is a load, and giving him the ball with 3 yards from the goalline would be better than 50/50 odds, I would think...and slightly less likely to give up 2 points to the other team.

Yeah, I think we’ve reached the point where this team should never punt once we cross the 50 and never attempt another PAT or field goal, for any reason, ever. Go for 2 every time and use all 4 downs. Sure couldn’t be any worse.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Did the Husker offense have a Three & Out in any quarter of the Oklahoma game?

I don't remember one. 

And when you combine this with hopefully some improved punting distance, this is where you really hit your stride in the B1G. Especially in the West, with the way so many of the other teams play a relatively safe offensive strategy. Getting at least to midfield before you have to punt + good punting is where we've got to be.

It's been a long time since we've dominated field position.