Frost Stays

Husker03

2 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Im in the camp of giving frost another year with some staff shakeups but if he truly only wins 2 or 3, meaning he ends the yea ron like a 10 game losing streak and we beat literally not one besides buffalo and fordham, hes out.  Northwestern is trash this year, purdue needs to be a win and same can be said for minnesota.... Not to mention wiscy hasn't looked this weak in 10-15 years-- frosty restores a lot of confidence for me if all of these are wins-- these wins would also get us to a bowl..... 

While style points shouldnt matter- the games i listed above would be great to see a comfortable win instead of our typical fashion of playing to our competition.

This team is a hot mess, but at least they’re hot. A quick shower, some o-line makeup and we win every game here on out. We will beat OSU so long as the defense remains solid. Our defense is fantastic and their defense is really bad this year. They’re ready for the breakthrough, and we’ll remember the second half of this season as the moment when everything came together. 

(Sets the KoolAid down on the desk.)

Man, I was thirsty.

• Haha 1

Opinion from several learned sounding folks in here that Frost should be given one more year.. with the interesting predicate often added "especially if we only win two or three games this year" or some such wording. 

My god what have we become. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

Im in the camp of giving frost another year with some staff shakeups but if he truly only wins 2 or 3, meaning he ends the yea ron like a 10 game losing streak and we beat literally not one besides buffalo and fordham, hes out.  Northwestern is trash this year, purdue needs to be a win and same can be said for minnesota.... Not to mention wiscy hasn't looked this weak in 10-15 years-- frosty restores a lot of confidence for me if all of these are wins-- these wins would also get us to a bowl..... 

While style points shouldnt matter- the games i listed above would be great to see a comfortable win instead of our typical fashion of playing to our competition.

"Style points" will matter to me.  I don't care if we get a "W" against Northwestern and see all the same stupid stuff.  A "W" is not a "W" just for it's own sake.  No.  We need to play sound football and show the fanbase that that we aren't just getting the "W", but are doing the small things that show the change.  It's all the small things that lead to the "W".

With Northwestern at Home and what we accomplished against OU and Michigan St, it's more than fair to think that we play solid and win by 7-10 points.  If we truly establish ourselves and do the correct things, we can win by two [2] TD's.  If the game comes down to a last possession and then I can guarantee that we didn't take care of the small things and the intangibles.  

There is more than enough here to state that we can win at least four [4] more games and win in a way where we are not doing the stupid things that lose games.  We won't win those games by just getting by.  We literally have to play good football.  It's all in front of us and is possible.  But, to say that we get "W's" against Northwestern, Minnesota, Purdue and Wisky or Iowa ... and we have no style points ... I don't see that even a possibility.

Enough double-talk type stuff.  Play good football and win in a way that it is a "W"!  Truly play good football and build some momentum and show Husker Nation you have stopped playing with "sobriety" and know that "staying sober" is enough.  Nope, it's not.  You have to do more than just get a "W".  How you play means everything in recovery!

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

This is where I am at too. Beat Minny, NW, Purdue. Knock off one of the teams he's never beat (Iowa, Wisc, OSU, Mich), then I say keep him. If guys like Lovie Smith, Jeff Brohm, Randy Edsall, DJ Durkin, PJ Fleck, Danny Hope (not to mention Mike Locksley and Mel Tucker both well on their way) can get to 6 wins in their first 4 years at bottom dwelling B1G schools....I'd say that's a fair bar to set for Frost and if he doesn't clear it - bye!

• Plus1 1

I can see a flawed but scrappier Husker team winning 5 or 6 games this season, and have reason for optimism going into Scott Frost's fifth season. I can only guess at the young talent coming up. Frost knows best what to expect. 

But you only get one Illinois game a year -- and it really should be zero. I'm not talking about scheme or playcalling or sequences or deficiencies at certain positions. The less talented team came out more disciplined, more motivated and more mentally tough and thumped Nebraska. If we look that unfocused and undisciplined again in season four, I don't have a problem moving on from Frost. 

New coaches are supposed to turn around dumpster fires. That's why they're hired. Some do it immediately. Some take a couple seasons. Current fan expectations are not unreasonable for any P5 program, and it's okay to expect a bit more from Nebraska.  

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I can see a flawed but scrappier Husker team winning 5 or 6 games this season, and have reason for optimism going into Scott Frost's fifth season. I can only guess at the young talent coming up. Frost knows best what to expect. 

But you only get one Illinois game a year -- and it really should be zero. I'm not talking about scheme or playcalling or sequences or deficiencies at certain positions. The less talented team came out more disciplined, more motivated and more mentally tough and thumped Nebraska. If we look that unfocused and undisciplined again in season four, I don't have a problem moving on from Frost. 

New coaches are supposed to turn around dumpster fires. That's why they're hired. Some do it immediately. Some take a couple seasons. Current fan expectations are not unreasonable for any P5 program, and it's okay to expect a bit more from Nebraska.  

I mean we do realize after this year we need to replace both safeties, Jojo, Stille, most likely CTB. We will also most likely be breaking in a new QB. Do we expect that team to be better than the one we currently have? 

• Thanks 1

If Frost doesn't make a bowl this year, I have a fun coaching comp. I know people like to throw out Alvarez and Ferentz as guys who took a while to get going. How about this one *in game form* - I was a WR coach at a national power, promoted to Asst. Head Coach. We went to multiple National Title games while I was an asst coach, my head man, many would consider a coaching legend. I was hired away to be the head coach at a meddling group of 5 School. First year was slow, I only managed to be right under .500. Year 2 we exploded! We won 11 games and earned a top 25 ranking. I was a hot head coaching name for P5 schools, and decided to take the job at a struggling B1G program which hadn't smelled the top 20 in a decade. I spent 3 bowl-less seasons at this B1G program and was fired halfway through year 4. WHO AM I!!!

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I mean we do realize after this year we need to replace both safeties, Jojo, Stille, most likely CTB. We will also most likely be breaking in a new QB. Do we expect that team to be better than the one we currently have? 

I’m also wondering about coaches on that side of the ball. We nearly lost Fisher last offseason. Others have brought it up but Chins will definitely get interviews at the very least and would be safe to assume he brings a coach with him to be his DC if he does get a HC job. Our DLine coach is going to get looks as well.

It’s a good problem to have, we’d rather have coaches that other teams want than coaches other teams don’t want. As long as we don’t lose them to lateral moves. But could make continuity tricky next year, especially if we make sweeping changes on the offensive side of the ball.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

If Frost doesn't make a bowl this year, I have a fun coaching comp. I know people like to throw out Alvarez and Ferentz as guys who took a while to get going. How about this one *in game form* - I was a WR coach at a national power, promoted to Asst. Head Coach. We went to multiple National Title games while I was an asst coach, my head man, many would consider a coaching legend. I was hired away to be the head coach at a meddling group of 5 School. First year was slow, I only managed to be right under .500. Year 2 we exploded! We won 11 games and earned a top 25 ranking. I was a hot head coaching name for P5 schools, and decided to take the job at a struggling B1G program which hadn't smelled the top 20 in a decade. I spent 3 bowl-less seasons at this B1G program and was fired halfway through year 4. WHO AM I!!!

Darrell Hazell? 

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Who is Darrell Hazell?

Just now, GSG said:

Darrell Hazell? 

That is who I was thinking. Can't think of anyone else. 

• Plus1 1

I think that this was a 4-5 year rebuild from the start. Some people think it's ridiculous to go out to "5" for this quote, but you don't necessarily hit on all of your linemen just in that first recruiting class.

So while I think Frost should stay through the end of 2022, I also think he completely deserves to be raked over the coals for not buckling down and fixing the special teams issues that were losing us at least 2 games per season starting in 2019.

If he doesn't get that fixed and we can't do better than 6-6 next year he'll need to be fired.

There is technically no excuse for not making a bowl game this year, but if I'm being completely objective I think he needs one more year.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

I think that this was a 4-5 year rebuild from the start. Some people think it's ridiculous to go out to "5" for this quote, but you don't necessarily hit on all of your linemen just in that first recruiting class.

So while I think Frost should stay through the end of 2022, I also think he completely deserves to be raked over the coals for not buckling down and fixing the special teams issues that were losing us at least 2 games per season starting in 2019.

If he doesn't get that fixed and we can't do better than 6-6 next year he'll need to be fired.

There is technically no excuse for not making a bowl game this year, but if I'm being completely objective I think he needs one more year.

It may take multiple years to recruit and develop players to be competitive, but poor discipline and fundamentals should be corrected by year two. The persistent penalties, turnovers, special teams blunders, and poor clock management (timeouts after a kickoff) are all red flags. Frost needs to seek guidance from coaches more knowledgeable and/or alter his coaching staff. 

• Plus1 2