Frost Stays

Husker03

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I didn't watch a ton of Mariota but Milton got rid of the ball a lot faster that Martinez on a lot of the same plays.

I’d also add (Milton and Mariota) being able to read the field better and hit receivers where they can make the catch and even gain some yards after catch is huge. I understand the individual plays are more complex, but IMHO Hitting 1 or 2 of those wr’s running open would’ve changed the game.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
On 9/27/2021 at 11:20 AM, VectorVictor said:

People seem to forget that he's already done this. And it's better than what current state for punting is now. 

Sooooooooo... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The pooch-punt is a highly underrated play. Given our ST's situation and that AM has shown the ability to do it I don't get why we aren't using it more. 

• Plus1 2

My "if Frost stays" preference:

Hire a good ST's coordinator. Question is can he coach a position as well or just does ST's? That certainly affects other moves you make. 

Move Mario to analyst. Replace him with a good qb-coach/co-OC to work with Lubick. Frost backs-off into a GM type. Frost could be qb-coach if you replace Mario with ST's coach

Replace Austin, no excuse for just how bad his group, poor coordination and you have guys regressing from last season. They typically start slow but this line will have to improve just to get to where previous lines started the year. 

Held is not a must-fire but I do think we can improve here. His group has played decently overall this season and has held onto the ball. Would like to know who is in charge of our weird rotation at rb. As has already been said would be good with Ron Brown here. 

If you don't replace Mario with ST's coach then a LB-coach needs to be gone or become an analyst. I'd say Dawson is still a little better but with the way Ruud keeps improving each season it's close. Chin has LB coaching experience, he could take over ILB or OLB for the most part. 

7 hours ago, GlobalHusker said:

I’d also add (Milton and Mariota) being able to read the field better and hit receivers where they can make the catch and even gain some yards after catch is huge. I understand the individual plays are more complex, but IMHO Hitting 1 or 2 of those wr’s running open would’ve changed the game.

Definitely.  It would have changed things dramatically. 

I only brought up Milton getting rid of the ball quicker because that alone is often the difference between a 20+ yard play and a broken play.  We see a lot of unnecessary broken plays and too often the lazy excuse is to put it all on the offensive line (not that they're without fault).

Frost and Verduzco meant it when they said the most important attribute for a QB to have in this offense is to be a "fast blinker".

And I wouldn't even put it all on Adrian.  After 4 years Frost should know what he has in his QB and gameplan accordingly.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
On 9/26/2021 at 12:52 PM, twofittyonred said:

Has he..??  this offense is the same ol tired offense it was 4 yrs ago...  the defense has made MANY strides...  are we sure that is just not Chins ability to make the proper changes..??  This is Scott Frost's offense and he holds it with an iron glove...  He hired an O-coordinator so he could keep an eye on the entire process and this year was suppose to let lubick call the plays but has yet to relinquish his hold...  I think the best thing for frost to do is take a step back..   JMO

I totally agree with you on the issue of offense but he did bring in Chin. Like I shared earlier I will give him one more year. 

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

What would you suggest? Who would come here? I will give him one more year. 

I don't have any names I would recommend, but to say "who would come here?" is foolish. There are plenty coaches who could come to NU and do a better job that Frost is doing.  That's for Trev to find. IMO, giving Frost "one more year" would delay the inevitable and cost NU a year at improving the football program. The first step in improving the program would be to fire Frost and his entire staff. 

12 hours ago, lo country said:

I'd add Held.  Bring on Busch(ST/recruiting baby and Ron Brown RB).

Oh I agree, I have been saying for weeks you get rid of Verduzco, Held and Austin. Replace Verduzco with Busch and Held with Brown and then you go out and spend whatever it takes to get a proven OL coach with ample experience. 

• Plus1 1

49 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't have any names I would recommend, but to say "who would come here?" is foolish. There are plenty coaches who could come to NU and do a better job that Frost is doing.  That's for Trev to find. IMO, giving Frost "one more year" would delay the inevitable and cost NU a year at improving the football program. The first step in improving the program would be to fire Frost and his entire staff. 

In your view, what is the means which the $20 million is dealt with?  This just falls on donors ... again?  What was your view about the "extension" Moos gave?  Quite a few folks have stated that it was "necessary" to show we had the right guy.  I'm fine with that ... but I was one who thought that was really stupid.  I wouldn't be in favor of firing Frost today.  For me, I give him through this season and let the season stand for or against him.  It's already going to be the tougher part of the season.  I think the kids best chance is to have this coaching staff for this seasons games and see if we can win 4-5 of these.  So, is your view that we can't and won't and it is just best overall to cut loose now and be done with Scott ...  it's just that deplorable after these last two losses?  

Answer whatever you like ... just some random thoughts/questions after enjoying your post.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

In your view, what is the means which the $20 million is dealt with?  This just falls on donors ... again?  What was your view about the "extension" Moos gave?  Quite a few folks have stated that it was "necessary" to show we had the right guy.  I'm fine with that ... but I was one who thought that was really stupid.  I wouldn't be in favor of firing Frost today.  For me, I give him through this season and let the season stand for or against him.  It's already going to be the tougher part of the season.  I think the kids best chance is to have this coaching staff for this seasons games and see if we can win 4-5 of these.  So, is your view that we can't and won't and it is just best overall to cut loose now and be done with Scott ...  it's just that deplorable after these last two losses?  

Answer whatever you like ... just some random thoughts/questions after enjoying your post.

I am not saying Frost should be fired now. I am saying if he ends this season at 4-8, 5-7, or even possibly 6-6, he should be fired. I'm not in favor of firing a guy mid-season. I don't think it does much.  It's possible that NU goes on a run in the last half of the season, but I'm not going to expect it.

Regarding the extension, that's a sunk cost. I have said it before and will say it again, money should never be a reason for NU to not fire a coach. NU has enough money. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am not saying Frost should be fired now. I am saying if he ends this season at 4-8, 5-7, or even possibly 6-6, he should be fired. I'm not in favor of firing a guy mid-season. I don't think it does much.  It's possible that NU goes on a run in the last half of the season, but I'm not going to expect it.

Regarding the extension, that's a sunk cost. I have said it before and will say it again, money should never be a reason for NU to not fire a coach. NU has enough money. 

Excellent!  Yep, that is how I see it [in terms of logic] also.  But, I'm still a little butt hurt about that extension.  I thought that was just stupid.  I was in total disagreement with the folks who said that it was necessary to show our "commitment".  Four to five years is more than enough [even for a "golden child"] to prove himself in today's coaching world.

Thanks for taking the time.

• Plus1 2
On 9/26/2021 at 12:44 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

If he has made improvements, why does the team continue to lose in the most mind-boggling ways?  It's been that way for 3 1/2 seasons. That's on him, I don't think he has a way to fix that. 

Agreed! And after all this, he comes out and publicly throws his team under the bus. WTF? That’s the work of a coach who is way over his head and is just deflecting the blame elsewhere. What a coward. He comes off sounding like Callahan. IMO he is not the guy to lead/coach this team. 

On 9/27/2021 at 6:01 PM, Enhance said:

I think we need to see how the season plays out before we try to make any ultimate determination about Frost. Things are definitely trending negatively, but I would like to address a few of the points made by the OP.

1) The fact is, this team is light years more competitive than it was 2 years ago. Yes and no. You can only make this argument if you want to look at very specific parts of the team, in which case this becomes a weak argument. And the W/L record suggests they're right where they've been all along.

2) But, he has shown over and over again that he will fix that. I don't see enough evidence to support this claim. Special teams overall has been a sore spot for four years. The offensive line has been arguably the weakest position group for four years. The running back room has been fairly inconsistent. Unacceptable penalties. The defense has certainly improved, but we also know that Chin is more responsible for that unit than Frost. I'm struggling to see evidence to support the notion that he has fixed these types of problems "over and over," because the more fair argument at the moment is that he hasn't shown that... because they continue to be problems.

3) And that is true, but St is looking to be a better team than we thought they were a month ago. While true, the tougher pill to swallow is that - once again - Nebraska looked the better team, particularly with the overall dominant defensive performance. Teams perform better and worse than their pre-season projections all the time. That's old hat. What matters is how you play against them.

4) I suppose if we meltdown and lose our way to the end, there may be no choice but to make a change, but we owe it to the program to let it play out. Ultimately, I agree with this. I've become fairly skeptical this year to the point that I don't think they're going to get much better than where they are. I think a best case scenario is bowl eligibility. Even winning four games will probably buy Frost another year. Finishing the season with only two or three wins will probably be a bit of a death sentence, even if the team is competitive in those games.

Im in the camp of giving frost another year with some staff shakeups but if he truly only wins 2 or 3, meaning he ends the yea ron like a 10 game losing streak and we beat literally not one besides buffalo and fordham, hes out.  Northwestern is trash this year, purdue needs to be a win and same can be said for minnesota.... Not to mention wiscy hasn't looked this weak in 10-15 years-- frosty restores a lot of confidence for me if all of these are wins-- these wins would also get us to a bowl..... 

While style points shouldnt matter- the games i listed above would be great to see a comfortable win instead of our typical fashion of playing to our competition.

• Plus1 2