Michigan Week Pressers

Mavric

While I recognize that we have not shown any consistency to date to warrant this, and moreover do not wish to raise expectations, I keep drawing parallels to another Big Ten team in a similar situation, 2016 Penn State.

If you recall, it was Year 3 for James Franklin following two mediocre seasons at the helm.  PSU had lost to a pedestrian Pitt team early and was absolutely pasted by Michigan.  No one, and I mean no one except true believers thought that PSU would defeat Ohio State at home.  PSU won a thriller 24 - 21 and ended up launching as a program following that victory.

Avoid the penalties, the turnovers, and the identity crisis that has plagued the program for decades, and the opportunity for growth on Saturday is there.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Seriously?  Oh Boy....I hope we can get ahead early.

To his credit, they've really never needed to throw the ball this year. I don't think they've ever been down this season. On the road at Memorial, at night, against our defense - would be a hell of a first time for an inexperienced QB to need to lean on the passing game. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Statistically, they're ahead of us in both rushing  offense and defense. They've faced a better rush defense than ours - Wisconsin is sitting at #1 in the country. But they haven't faced a ground game anywhere near as good as ours. Washington #107 rushing offense, Rutgers #82, Wisconsin #65... Nebraska #14.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

Cade McNamara

How may times has NU played against a supposedly pedestrian QB or even second teamer and the guy plays out of his mind?

This kid may be better than many are giving him credit for. He hasn't been asked to do much- Michigans running game has been pretty good. He's only been asked to be a game manager and he's done just that. 

He was a past commit to Notre Dame and threw for 146 TDs in HS at a very good HS program. DMR- HS they have a great passing offense and great coaches- QB coaching etc. Hopefully our defense keeps Michigan behind the chains- they have the talent to do that now I think, but that is no guarantee of success. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Cade McNamara

How may times has NU played against a supposedly pedestrian QB or even second teamer and the guy plays out of his mind?

This kid may be better than many are giving him credit for. He hasn't been asked to do much- Michigans running game has been pretty good. He's only been asked to be a game manager and he's done just that. 

He was a past commit to Notre Dame and threw for 146 TDs in HS at a very good HS program. DMR- HS they have a great passing offense and great coaches- QB coaching etc. Hopefully our defense keeps Michigan behind the chains- they have the talent to do that now I think, but that is no guarantee of success. 

I think he's definitely going to be forced to win the game with his arm.  If he can do it, Michigan probably wins.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Cade McNamara

I think the main thought process is that Michigan hasn't needed him to go win the game for them.  So, if we can get them in that situation, who knows how he is going to respond....on the road...at night...in a loud/hostile environment.  Yeah, he threw for 146 TDs in HS.  We have also all seen QBs that did that in HS but couldn't do it in college.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think the main thought process is that Michigan hasn't needed him to go win the game for them.  So, if we can get them in that situation, who knows how he is going to respond....on the road...at night...in a loud/hostile environment.  Yeah, he threw for 146 TDs in HS.  We have also all seen QBs that did that in HS but couldn't do it in college.

I get it- when he was at DMR HS I was very good friends with a guy who coached there then- still am. Would go out there to go skiiing with him many years.   Good coaching clinics there.      

DMR- HS At the base of road that leads to Mt Rose skiing area. They were prolific passing team at that time and extremely well coached. He started as a Freshman- they were really good passing team, kid was really good also. Sometimes our fan base gets out ahead of ourselves too much- weve been burned by what we considered "pedestrian" QBs WAY too many times.