Huge Dilemma

HANC

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Had to look him up.  What is big draw about him?    Urb won't happen. 

I can understand Monken and Calhoun. Why do you think they have an advantage over Chadwell?   We do need to differentiate ourselves from all of the schools that have similar offenses and have a greater recruiting base.  So, I see where you are going wt Monken, Calhoun and Chadwell.  

Thompson is an flexbone guy just like Monken and Calhoun. To me, they're all about the same when it comes to that particular offense. You kinda know what you're gonna get, just small differences here and there. It's the overall philosophy, the scheme; ground and pound option football that matters. It's one of the reasons I like it; the pressure is spread all around the field, and not so much just on the coach and quarterback. When the coach calls a play, he's not expecting his QB to drop back and put a perfectly-placed ball over linebackers and in front of safeties on a Y-cross. He's expecting 5 guys up front to drive forward, beat up some defenders in the box, and whoever ends up with the ball to get at least 4 yards. And then line up and do it again. Over and over, lulling them to sleep until you hit an A-back or tight end wide open down the field. It's a much easier read and pass. I'd rather do that than...whatever Frost is trying to do.

Chadwell would be an interesting pick. The problem is that his stuff is not a whole lot different than what Frost is doing now. He does have an option set, but doesn't go to it much more than Frost does. Another problem is that it's really QB-centric. When McCall was hurt last year, their offensive effectiveness tanked badly. In the flexbone, the backup is normally just about as effective as the starter, because there isn't a whole lot of pressure on him besides a couple simple reads. The 'if/then' scenarios are much more predictable and manageable. 

4 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Thompson is an flexbone guy just like Monken and Calhoun. To me, they're all about the same when it comes to that particular offense. You kinda know what you're gonna get, just small differences here and there. It's the overall philosophy, the scheme; ground and pound option football that matters. It's one of the reasons I like it; the pressure is spread all around the field, and not so much just on the coach and quarterback. When the coach calls a play, he's not expecting his QB to drop back and put a perfectly-placed ball over linebackers and in front of safeties on a Y-cross. He's expecting 5 guys up front to drive forward, beat up some defenders in the box, and whoever ends up with the ball to get at least 4 yards. And then line up and do it again. Over and over, lulling them to sleep until you hit an A-back or tight end wide open down the field. It's a much easier read and pass. I'd rather do that than...whatever Frost is trying to do.

Chadwell would be an interesting pick. The problem is that his stuff is not a whole lot different than what Frost is doing now. He does have an option set, but doesn't go to it much more than Frost does. Another problem is that it's really QB-centric. When McCall was hurt last year, their offensive effectiveness tanked badly. In the flexbone, the backup is normally just about as effective as the starter, because there isn't a whole lot of pressure on him besides a couple simple reads. The 'if/then' scenarios are much more predictable and manageable. 

we will be recruiting outside of the top 50 with that offense. Basically getting first pick of players over the military academies. I would rather gamble on a Chadwell, Leipold, Aranda etc. We just have to out do the rest of the West and historically we out recruit them every year other than this year. A competent coach can take our top 25 classes and have us in the top 25. 

34 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yes, Toure kept running skinny for no reason.  I totally agree with you on this.

The thing is, this is year 3, or 5, or 12, I forget, and NU should not have to be struggling to keep it close, at home, vs Purdue.  

You watched a different game. We weren't struggling to keep it close. We pissed away a lead in the 4th quarter. Those are two different phenomena. 

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Grug said:

You're not making the argument you think you are. 

When Frost started. Those teams were legitimately beating us. Blowing us out. - Now we are the ones beating ourselves. The teams we have lost against this year. I'd say only Michigan earned their win. In the others we beat ourselves. That is very different than getting our butts stomped and not having a chance. 

• Haha 2

Debate talent- it’s subjective 

we have recruited the size to play in the B10. We look good from a body standpoint. 

but Frost has to be the stupidest in game coach ever. He makes stupid decisions. Its like he has the game all planned out in his head and it going to go that way or it’s someone else’s fault. 

and you know what they say about stupid. He’s got to go or it’s more of the same. 

5 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

we will be recruiting outside of the top 50 with that offense. Basically getting first pick of players over the military academies. I would rather gamble on a Chadwell, Leipold, Aranda etc. We just have to out do the rest of the West and historically we out recruit them every year other than this year. A competent coach can take our top 25 classes and have us in the top 25. 

Possibly. I contend that we would get things rolling pretty quickly, and we would recruit well, at least on defense. 

Another advantage is that we don't need to recruit better than Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. We won't be wasting time with recruiting visits to CJ Stroud or Arch Manning, or pissed off because Ohio State just got a legacy kid like Dylan Raiola over us. We wouldn't have trouble getting a stable of running backs.  We'll need a few good receivers, but not nearly as many as we're going after now. The recruiting rankings might not be great, but with this offense, the stars don't matter a whole lot. I don't think anyone was going after Tommie Frazier as a QB, but he came to Lincoln to run a ground-based option attack. We could still get kids like that, because there are still plenty of high schools around the country running option offenses. 

We just need to learn from the past. Sure, we've out-recruited the rest of the teams in the west, but be haven't beaten them much with 3 coaches running pro/spread stuff. We need to be different.

1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

You watched a different game. We weren't struggling to keep it close. We pissed away a lead in the 4th quarter. Those are two different phenomena. 

The irony is struggling or pi$$ing away a lead, we still lost.....I threw out the probability in another thread....Going 5-18 in once score games is .4%.....Going 50-50 in those games is approx 66% Winning at least 11 of the 23.........We are struggling mightily to win.  Losing like we do defies mathematical probabilities....

27 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

But last year was COVID, so it doesn't count...for us anyway.

I hate when people being up covid as an excuse for Frost.

By that metric Mel Tucker is just about the greatest coach of all time. Taking over a shaky Michigan state team during covid. Being unbeaten in his second, scratch that, "first" year. Must be all of that talent and their reasonable expectations of building a program. Maybe it's their easier schedule? I mean we were on it.

We can't even make a bowl game in year four.

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Possibly. I contend that we would get things rolling pretty quickly, and we would recruit well, at least on defense. 

Another advantage is that we don't need to recruit better than Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. We won't be wasting time with recruiting visits to CJ Stroud or Arch Manning, or pissed off because Ohio State just got a legacy kid like Dylan Raiola over us. We wouldn't have trouble getting a stable of running backs.  We'll need a few good receivers, but not nearly as many as we're going after now. The recruiting rankings might not be great, but with this offense, the stars don't matter a whole lot. I don't think anyone was going after Tommie Frazier as a QB, but he came to Lincoln to run a ground-based option attack. We could still get kids like that, because there are still plenty of high schools around the country running option offenses. 

We just need to learn from the past. Sure, we've out-recruited the rest of the teams in the west, but be haven't beaten them much with 3 coaches running pro/spread stuff. We need to be different.

National recruiting analyst Tom Lemming called Frazier "the best all-around quarterback I've seen in five years. ... A great ballhandler and runner. A great precision passer. This was said when he signed with Nebraska out of HS. He picked us over Notre Dame and Clemson

7 minutes ago, EngineeringHusker said:

By that metric Mel Tucker is just about the greatest coach of all time. Taking over a shaky Michigan state team during covid. Being unbeaten in his second, scratch that, "first" year. Must be all of that talent and their reasonable expectations of building a program. Maybe it's their easier schedule? I mean we were on it.

Between Dantonio retiring and covid Tucker lots in excess of 30 guys to the portal. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, EngineeringHusker said:

2013 Dantonio 13–1 8–0 1st (Legends) W Rose 3 3
2014 Dantonio 11–2 7–1 2nd (East) W Cotton 5 5
2015 Dantonio 12–2 7–1 T-1st (East) L CFP Semifinal at Cotton 6 6
2016 Dantonio 3–9 1–8 6th (East)      
2017 Dantonio 10–3 7–2 T-2nd (East) W Holiday 16 15
2018 Dantonio 7–6 5-4 4th (East) L Redbox    
2019 Dantonio 7–6 4-5 5th (East) W Pinstripe    
Mark Dantonio: 114–57 (.667) 69–39 (.639)  
Mel Tucker (Big Ten) (2020–present)
2020 Tucker 2–5 2–5 7th (East)      
2021 Tucker 8–0 5–0 1st (East)

The Spartans were only 5 years from a CFP Birth. Given the team he inherited I'd argue, he SEVERLY underperformed in his first year. Making this year's rebound look better. 

• Haha 2