Just normal American Utopia...

10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I would bet my life that there has never been a person who burned themselves to death (or near death) that did not regret their actions within 5 seconds or less. 

I would imagine that is the case!

Honestly, when it did not light the first 12 times I thought he would realize that maybe luck (or god, which I know the pro-pally bros will hate) was on his side and that he would just bail on the insane idea.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

22 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I would imagine that is the case!

Honestly, when it did not light the first 12 times I thought he would realize that maybe luck (or god, which I know the pro-pally bros will hate) was on his side and that he would just bail on the insane idea.

that guy wins the Darwin award

Just so Guy doesn’t get mad, I’m putting this here because you could insert almost any politicians name into this thread (until you get to the end and then it’s more uniquely Democrat) and come up with about the same results.   It’s how politicians live a lavish lifestyle while working for less than lavish pay.   People should either not donate to politicians like I don’t or demand a greater stewardship of the money given.  Stay in the same type of places and travel the same way they would if they were paying with their own money instead of someone else’s.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

This hits home with me. 

I’m a product of a man who thought his job was way more important than being with his family. Your family should be the most important thing in your life. 

Make sure it is. I’m so glad I realized that instead of being like my dad. 

• Plus1 2

I have always said that when new neighborhoods go up, that in the middle should be the retail space.  grocery stores, gas stations, a few places to eat and drink.  Then build out from that.  So you can essentially stay in your area because all the stuff is there.

"Want to grab a drink?  We can just walk two blocks!"

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3
30 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I have always said that when new neighborhoods go up, that in the middle should be the retail space.  grocery stores, gas stations, a few places to eat and drink.  Then build out from that.  So you can essentially stay in your area because all the stuff is there.

It would be really interesting if cities started taking this serious.  Detroit has demolished large swaths of their city, and has a lot more to go.  They hope to rebuild in those areas.  It would be interesting if they would follow this thought process.

Also, I would love train travel to be developed way more in the US than it is.  But, that's harder to do when you don't have walkable neighborhoods in cities. Let's say there's a good train service between Lincoln and Omaha.  Where would you locate the main stations where people can get to a lot of destinations by foot?  I guess the development of Uber and Lyft helps that.  So, you would be dropped off somewhere in Omaha and take an Uber somewhere else.  But, then you're still not in a walkable neighborhood.

33 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Have a beer in your driveway if you hang out with neighbors.   Bars are for co-workers to go hide before going home to their wives...If she only has to walk two blocks, it kinda takes the point out of it

• Haha 3
15 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Have a beer in your driveway if you hang out with neighbors.   Bars are for co-workers to go hide before going home to their wives...If she only has to walk two blocks, it kinda takes the point out of it

Oh my god!  
im dying!

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree with this.  America has done a horrible job designing their cities.

Yep. It was a combination of the automobile and white flight that sent people, money and development out to the suburbs, a move very much supported and engineered by politicians and business interests. Once in the suburbs, you still had to travel by car to the malls that were springing up. Those new houses typically got rid of the front porch and allowed you to drive into your garage and enter your house without being outside. Architecture played to the private rather than the public sphere. There's been a movement to change that.

One of the struggling malls in our bedroom suburb plans to follow a new template where they replace the anchor retailers at each end of the mall with apartment units. The pedestrian part of the mall is turned into a park or greenspace. That greenspace is lined with the mall stores much like before, but now it looks like a small town and has the residents/pedestrians already built in. 

Anyone remember the film "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" Obviously a big silly comedy, but the plot was closely based on the true story of how political and business forces in Los Angeles sabotaged public transit in order sell cars, suburban tract homes, and huge highway developments.