New Offensive Coordinator options?

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Part of the reason for the "delay" (which isn't really a delay but whatever) is that it's pretty bad form to interview assistant coaches until their season is over.  Thus, we couldn't interview some of the candidates until the last couple days.

Anae is in the mix.  Harrell and Whipple were two that we wanted to talk to but had to wait until this weekend.  Zak Hill on the list as well but seems headed to Auburn.  Whipple might not be looking to leave the Northeast.

While you may not do "formal" interviews, informal conversations happen well before seasons end with head coaches and assistants. My read on the Journal Star article (if it's all accurate) is that some of the primary options did not work out and they are now working their way down a list.  Typically when a coach fires assistants before the season is over, he has an idea of who and what he wants as a replacement, and then steps are made to start working toward that. Either Frost fired his assistants without knowing who he wanted, or he knew who he wanted and it didn't work out.  Either way, it now looks like he is scrambling with some names that do not appear to be splash hires.  Let's hope the LJS article is wrong and there are some better names to come forward.  

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, admo said:

Yeah, I would have preferred to retain Lubick.  Continuity and give him full OC reigns.  BC we talking one more year.  Even the players on offense would have appreciated that.

I would have been perfectly fine with that and replacing O line and RB coach and friggen, fix special teams. 

We don’t need a wholesale change on offense. The scheme works. We need better o line, RB and special teams. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would have been perfectly fine with that and replacing O line and RB coach and friggen, fix special teams. 

We don’t need a wholesale change on offense. The scheme works. We need better o line, RB and special teams. 

Agreed.  Losing to Purdue was the 5th loss in 6 games, and bowling looked nearly impossible.  Something had to happen, I get that.  But Lubick seemed to get the blame for the Offense in this case.  And I still don't know why. 

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If Frost did not have a splash hire lined up that would have a great probability of making an immediate impact, I agree about keeping Lubick, giving him full OC play calling responsibility, and then replacing OL and RB coach. 

7 minutes ago, admo said:

Agreed.  Losing to Purdue was the 5th loss in 6 games, and bowling looked nearly impossible.  Something had to happen, I get that.  But Lubick seemed to get the blame for the Offense in this case.  And I still don't know why. 

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

If Frost did not have a splash hire lined up that would have a great probability of making an immediate impact, I agree about keeping Lubick, giving him full OC play calling responsibility, and then replacing OL and RB coach. 

Which makes me think there was something else with Lubick like, he really didn’t enjoy being back in coaching. 

Now, if he goes out and gets another coaching gig, I’ll be proved wrong. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, admo said:

But Lubick seemed to get the blame for the Offense in this case.  And I still don't know why. 

It’s called being made a scapegoat. For whatever reason(s) the guy who was actually responsible for the offense was retained. I mean obviously things were not good with the OL, RBs, WRs and QB room (ie the whole offense) but somebody had to get fired. I would guess Lubick had very little to do with any of it. Certainly less than the other 3 and way less than somebody who is still here.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

It’s called being made a scapegoat. For whatever reason(s) the guy who was actually responsible for the offense was retained. I mean obviously things were not good with the OL, RBs, WRs and QB room (ie the whole offense) but somebody had to get fired. I would guess Lubick had very little to do with any of it. Certainly less than the other 3 and way less than somebody who is still here.

And yet, the offensive in general, wasn’t the problem in most of our losses. 

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

40 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

While you may not do "formal" interviews, informal conversations happen well before seasons end with head coaches and assistants. My read on the Journal Star article (if it's all accurate) is that some of the primary options did not work out and they are now working their way down a list.  Typically when a coach fires assistants before the season is over, he has an idea of who and what he wants as a replacement, and then steps are made to start working toward that. Either Frost fired his assistants without knowing who he wanted, or he knew who he wanted and it didn't work out.  Either way, it now looks like he is scrambling with some names that do not appear to be splash hires.  Let's hope the LJS article is wrong and there are some better names to come forward.  

I'm thinking he may be waiting til the dust settles from all the other coaching moves, hoping he can scoop up someone who has been left behind. I thought we learned a long time ago not to fire a coach until the replacement was 100% already lined up.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And yet, the offensive in general, wasn’t the problem in most of our losses. 

The offense worked pretty well until it got to the red zone or into any critical point of a game. Plenty of individual choke jobs that have to fall at the feet of the head coach, the real OC, the guy calling the plays and choosing the personnel. The team just mimicked him once anything went wrong. In so many ways the offense was fine……except whenever it really mattered. Even remedial kicking and special teams play would’ve helped win about 4 more. The thing this team needs maybe more than an OC, OL improvement and special teams is a sports psychologist. No fear of failure is just something that’s said, not actually exhibited.

All those one score losses and crazy s#!t that prevented winning, I really have my doubts if Frost will ever be worth a s#!t again. He has to be a flinching basket case and I think the team picked up on that.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
55 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Head coaches ... yes.  Most of the big ones are all done through agents.

Assistants?  I don't think so.  They are not being hired through "informal conversations."  That's why there have been very few hired to this point.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Head coaches ... yes.  Most of the big ones are all done through agents.

Assistants?  I don't think so.  They are not being hired through "informal conversations."  That's why there have been very few hired to this point.

I am not saying the final decision happens through an informal interview as it is important to make sure the chemistry is there, but much of the legwork can be done quickly through informal interviews. 

At this point I am not sure why the 4 asssistants were fired before the season was over as it does not appear to have greatly accelerated the process to find replacements to help with recruiting. Now if Frost makes a slam dunk hire it will all be worth the wait, but if we end up with Harrell who has really been a lame duck since Helton was fired, it will not make sense to me.

• Plus1 1