Mark Whipple Officially Named Offensive Coordinator + Quarterbacks Coach

14 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't think it matters. I think we could have kept Lubick on and had him call 100% of the plays and it would have been fine.

The O-line coaching needed vast improvement, and it seemed like QB coaching was really dropping off a cliff as well.

But just pointing it out for others: The offensives scheme or concepts aren't really going to eliminate turnovers, false starts, and poor blocking. We're talking about player development & game preparation more than anything.

I think if the passing scheme is simplified that could lead to less turnovers (also a different QB).  Maybe I'm putting too much faith in Raiola, and that he played at Wisconsin who has had very good offensive lines for a long time, can take what he learned there and implement it at Nebraska.  Also I don't know if the way practices are held has anything to do with some of these things.  When Frost first got here it just seemed everything was go go go, more reps and not a lot of on the field corrections.  I'm sure they got work in individual  periods but for some reason I don't think they would do like some coaches and if a play was screwed up they ran it until it was right. kinda just on to the next.  I could be wrong tho.

27 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't think it matters. I think we could have kept Lubick on and had him call 100% of the plays and it would have been fine.

The O-line coaching needed vast improvement, and it seemed like QB coaching was really dropping off a cliff as well.

But just pointing it out for others: The offensives scheme or concepts aren't really going to eliminate turnovers, false starts, and poor blocking. We're talking about player development & game preparation more than anything.

I've been saying this SF got here. clean up the bold parts and this is a GOOD team. So many stupid mistakes  (and special teams) have CAUSED them to lose. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

I tend to be on the side that @Undone is on for this issue.  I have really never had a problem with Frost's scheme or his play calling.  People will look at a play that didn't work and instantly say...that was a stupid play call.  Well, if the players executed the play, it could have been a very good play.  He didn't all of a sudden forget how to design plays and call plays from when he was at Oregon and UCF.  After those stops, this part of his coaching was his strong point.

Put a good O line with his scheme and play calling, and I believe our record is very different and everyone would love Frost.

Hopefully, we now have a very good O line coach and we see good improvement this year.

Also, it drives me crazy when someone says..."they need to simplify the scheme".  College players all over the country are successful in running similar schemes to what we have been running.  Dumbing it down is not the way to go.  Player development and players not making stupid mistakes will go a lot farther than "simplifying the scheme".  

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Put a good O line with his scheme and play calling, and I believe our record is very different and everyone would love Frost.

That's probably been the most consistent issue on the offense, but personnel issues at WR and RB have been a big problem as well. WR had a lot of problems with guys leaving early. RB, well, Held should've been fired when we were forced to play Wan'dale at RB...

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I tend to be on the side that @Undone is on for this issue.  I have really never had a problem with Frost's scheme or his play calling.  People will look at a play that didn't work and instantly say...that was a stupid play call.  Well, if the players executed the play, it could have been a very good play.  He didn't all of a sudden forget how to design plays and call plays from when he was at Oregon and UCF.  After those stops, this part of his coaching was his strong point.

Hopefully, we now have a very good O line coach and we see good improvement this year.

Also, it drives me crazy when someone says..."they need to simplify the scheme".  College players all over the country are successful in running similar schemes to what we have been running.  Dumbing it down is not the way to go.  Player development and players not making stupid mistakes will go a lot farther than "simplifying the scheme".  

Not to pick AM, but he overthrew LOTS of wide open receivers. He also had trouble hitting the RBs in the flats. Those passes would have kept the defense a little more honest and made the OL look better. I'm hoping that, if nothing else on offense improves, that CT can make more of those throws.

• Plus1 2

41 minutes ago, Undone said:

I agree the execution has been lacking but I couldn't disagree more about Lubick.  Dude has no business being an OC.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Agreed.

I specifically remember some delay plays and trickeration being what got us back into the second half of that Michigan game. 

It was good play calling and the players executing without the unforced errors. Imagine that?   :)

I do think it's the more casual fan that sees Whipple as being this complete savior. If they're basing that on Pitt's last season I'm going to say that was Pitt's QB more than anything.

5 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I agree the execution has been lacking but I couldn't disagree more about Lubick.  Dude has no business being an OC.

I know people love to slam the guy with the "he was a financial planner FFS" comment...but he was co-offensive coordinator & WR coach at Washington before he moved to Colorado to do that.

Is Mark Whipple a more qualified OC? Yes.

But personally I've got a long list of specific things that I believe lost us nine games last year and Lubick's participation in the scheme & play calling is practically at the bottom of the list.

do agree though that Scott shouldn't have used the buddy system when he got here - he should have swallowed his pride and went out and purchased the best OC money could buy. That's what he should have done. But he didn't and here we are. I still don't think Lubick was towards the top of "problems" list for 2021, though.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed.

I specifically remember some delay plays and trickeration being what got us back into the second half of that Michigan game. 

It was good play calling and the players executing without the unforced errors. Imagine that?   :)

I do think it's the more casual fan that sees Whipple as being this complete savior. If they're basing that on Pitt's last season I'm going to say that was Pitt's QB more than anything.

The passing scheme will be different.  I also think that Whipple was brought in as much for his QB coaching than anything.  That could pay huge dividends.  

I'm excited for Whipple's pass offense with Frost's running offense.  One reason why I've never been a big fan of an OC that's known for passing is they tend to have a very vanilla run game.  There's no reason why you can't have creativity in both parts of the offense.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I know people love to slam the guy with the "he was a financial planner FFS" comment...but he was co-offensive coordinator & WR coach at Washington before he moved to Colorado to do that.

Is Mark Whipple a more qualified OC? Yes.

But personally I've got a long list of specific things that I believe lost us nine games last year and Lubick's participation in the scheme & play calling is practically at the bottom of the list.

do agree though that Scott shouldn't have used the buddy system when he got here - he should have swallowed his pride and went out and purchased the best OC money could buy. That's what he should have done. But he didn't and here we are. I still don't think Lubick was towards the top of "problems" list for 2021, though.

I would agree that he wasn't at the top of the list but I don't think he's even a remotely good coach.

2 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Lubick got canned for a reason.  

And not picked up by anyone since.

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, jager said:

Not to pick AM, but he overthrew LOTS of wide open receivers. He also had trouble hitting the RBs in the flats. Those passes would have kept the defense a little more honest and made the OL look better. I'm hoping that, if nothing else on offense improves, that CT can make more of those throws.

I'd say Adrian should take the lion's share of the blame for the Illinois loss and the Purdue loss. He didn't wrap the ball on that play right before the half against Illinois that led to the scoop & score and he overthrew two key passes in that game that killed us. Then against Purdue he threw four INT's (one of which was a deflection but still).

But the thing is...also in that Illinois game, our line sucked a** with blocking on the vanilla inside zones.

Need better line play so that the game aren't entirely won/lost with our QB.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
Just now, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Maybe I'm putting too much faith in Raiola, and that he played at Wisconsin who has had very good offensive lines for a long time, can take what he learned there and implement it at Nebraska. 

There definitely seemed to be disagreement between Frost and Austin about how the OL was handled.  Which seems odd to me for how long they worked together.  Word is Frost basically had to go to Austin and demand that Teddy be put in the starting lineup.  And we haven't seemed to get the potential out of Benhart and Corcoran.

So I'm willing to drink a little Kool Aid in hoping the change to Raiola will mean better times ahead.

Just now, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Also I don't know if the way practices are held has anything to do with some of these things.  When Frost first got here it just seemed everything was go go go, more reps and not a lot of on the field corrections.  I'm sure they got work in individual  periods but for some reason I don't think they would do like some coaches and if a play was screwed up they ran it until it was right. kinda just on to the next.  I could be wrong tho.

I think there is definitely something to this.  Not sure how much has changed but it seems likely that Whipple isn't running things as fast.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I would agree that he wasn't at the top of the list but I don't think he's even a remotely good coach.

I'm not sure that I said that he was a "good" coach, but also we're roughly on the same page.

Whipple is an upgrade. To what extent does that upgrade be the thing that turns us into say, an 8 win team over being a 3 win team? I don't think it'll be the biggest factor - but it's going to help.