Mark Whipple Officially Named Offensive Coordinator + Quarterbacks Coach

That Pat quote points at something I am genuinely worried about.

I hold this loosely, but there's something in me that has a hunch Whipple will end up being like the Diaco hire for Riley - a "recommendation" from above that never conceptually or spiritually belongs. I know the results have been disappointing but Frost obviously likes and wants to be a prolific running team, and had the schematic direction heading in a really interesting and effective direction with all the orbit motion option game, all to presumably go by the wayside.

I can't help but have some latent skepticism that this is going to be a good marriage.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3
5 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I hold this loosely, but there's something in me that has a hunch Whipple will end up being like the Diaco hire for Riley - a "recommendation" from above that never conceptually or spiritually belongs. I know the results have been disappointing but Frost obviously likes and wants to be a prolific running team, and had the schematic direction heading in a really interesting and effective direction with all the orbit motion option game, all to presumably go by the wayside.

I can't help but have some latent skepticism that this is going to be a good marriage.

I'm a run the damn ball guy.  The passing resume and "QB whisperer" moniker is concerning to me.  BUT if you have a Hypesman candidate QB and 2 1000 yard receivers, airing it out might be a pretty good idea.  At the end of the day, just win baby.  I'd love it to be with a "traditional" running attack, but will take the wins if they are all made with FG's....

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Yeah, I liked the offensive scheme we had going. We just needed another dependable reciever, a line that was worth a damn, and kicker. I hope for Frosts sake we didn't throw the baby out with the bath water. There's no doubt we brought in playmakers and a couple high caliber coaches, but we never fixed the most glaring issue with the depth of talent on the O line. That could really bight him this season.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

:snacks:

Holy revisionist history, Batman!

Pitt ran the ball 38 times against Wake last year.  They averaged 2.9 ypc.  That includes a 58 yard run by Pickett.  On their other 37 carries they netted 54 yards.  They did lose 38 yards on three sacks but even taking those out is still 34 carries for 92 yards which is 2.7 ypa.

They threw the ball 34 times.  They averaged 8.0 ypa.

Pitt won by 24 points.

If anything, they should have thrown it a ton more.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Oh Yeah! 3
25 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'm a run the damn ball guy.  The passing resume and "QB whisperer" moniker is concerning to me.  BUT if you have a Hypesman candidate QB and 2 1000 yard receivers, airing it out might be a pretty good idea.  At the end of the day, just win baby.  I'd love it to be with a "traditional" running attack, but will take the wins if they are all made with FG's....

His offensive scheme didn't dramatically change in favor of the pass because of a magic year with elite QB/WR play though.

2019 averaged 39.5 passing attempts, 33.7 rushing attempts

2020 averaged 38.6 passing attempts, 35.3 rushing attempts

2021 averaged 38.8 passing attempts, 37.7 rushing attempts

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Holy revisionist history, Batman!

Pitt ran the ball 38 times against Wake last year.  They averaged 2.9 ypc.  That includes a 58 yard run by Pickett.  On their other 37 carries they netted 54 yards.  They did lose 38 yards on three sacks but even taking those out is still 34 carries for 92 yards which is 2.7 ypa.

They threw the ball 34 times.  They averaged 8.0 ypa.

Pitt won by 24 points.

If anything, they should have thrown it a ton more.

I used to check teh Pitt board before last season started.  Narduzzi was on the Hot Seat.  Fans tired of him, wanted him gone and hated Pickett.  It was a mess.

Wonder how last year went for them, and if it changed some perceptions after the season :)  

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

From the sound of things, it's basically going to be Frost's running game plus Whipple's passing game. But IMO the bigger question is just Whipple's own tendencies and preferences as a play-caller. I think it's true that he's a pass-happy guy by nature. But OTOH, as Mav was saying, the buck stops with the head coach, and he can veto coordinator decisions as he chooses. As for Narduzzi, it's worth remembering that his background is on the defensive side of the ball, which isn't the case for Frost (aside from his NFL career).

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm pretty sure Mavric is making fun of Narduzzi for saying that.

Not really pointed at anyone in particular and especially not Mav, but comments like that from Narduzzi is just fodder for losers to soak up. I should reel it back though. 

Mav nails it why Narduzzi is speaking out of his a$$ from a coach who is 1-6 vs the B1G. 

• Plus1 1