** 2022 Opponent Previews : Georgia Southern (Game 3) **

HuskerOnline: Georgia Southern 2022 Spring Preview

“There’s a lot of stuff for them to adjust to over the course of the season. There’s also the fact that the Sun Belt Conference got an influx of football schools a year ahead of originally expected.

"Marshall, James Madison, Southern Miss, and Old Dominion have been added to the schedule. So of the four new teams (in the Sun Belt), three are on the schedule. The East Division is really strong for the Sun Belt Conference, and that’s where Georgia Southern is.

"For them to win six or seven games might be overly optimistic, but it also might be reachable. I think if they have a winning record, or close to it, that would be considered progress based on their schedule and where they are as a new program.”

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/nebraska-opponent-spring-review-georgia-southern

CollegeFootballNews: Georgia Southern 2022 Preview

No, really. Just how much was 2021 an aberration?

Georgia Southern was a regular from the Sun Belt on the bowl circuit and winning seasons were the norm after a 2-10 2018 season. The Eagles won 25 games in three seasons with its dangerous ground attack, but last season never got going offensively and everything crashed.

There’s experience returning, but do the parts fit, and just how much will all the transfers and problems of last year matter for Clay Helton and the new coaching staff?

SET THE GEORGIA SOUTHERN EAGLES REGULAR SEASON WIN TOTAL AT … 5.5

There’s a good chance that win total is laughable low if everything pivots back under Helton.

It starts with finding an offensive groove again and getting the right starting 11 on defense. The Morgan State game will help figure that out, but there’s a brutal run of four road games in the next five including dates at Nebraska and Coastal Carolina.

The midsection of James Madison, at Old Dominion, and South Alabama has to be a 3-0 run, or there’s a problem with at Louisiana, Marshall, and Appalachian State to close.

Offense, Defense Breakdown | Keys To The Season
Georgia Southern Top 10 Players | Schedule

More to come...

• Plus1 1

• 3 months later...

34 minutes ago, The Whale said:

Since Georgia Southern is a predominately passing team, this should bode well for the Huskers next Saturday as our biggest weakness on D is against the running game.

Nah. They'll throw it for 8 yards at a time for 6 minute drives and hit a couple 50 yarders. We will have to score 35+ to win next week.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

Not gonna lie, their QB whose name I cannot spell good, makes me nervous that he played against us last year.  Not so much his talent (although he has talent), I think he's going to be able to be cool in the pocket.  And get his guys fired up.  

I also think it will be a close game for awhile, but would love to see us blow them out in a night game atmosphere.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Go Furself said:

Georgia Southern looks small. Nebraska will put together a complete game having spent the past couple of weeks at home and taking UND a bit light.

Their OL is built to run not a passing front. We should be able to pass rush on them. Very short. Similar to an army/navy OL.