Concern

25 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Nebraska got beat by every team in its divisions outside of Northwestern.  That was the only conference win.

Are we really caught up with point differentials?!?!

Last year was a s#!tty year, no matter the scores.

Why do we need to exaggerate when the reality is bad enough? For one thing, what set off 84's nonsense post was not understanding that @runningblind was being sarcastic when he mentioned being the best 3-9 team.

• Thanks 2

what's so crazy, is that people forgot Solich got fired after going 9-3...

I know there was "other" things that were going on, but still...

11 hours ago, Slow yer Roll said:

The kool-aid is flowing again. 

Seems early. 

Let's get one win under our pitcher before we start counting chickens.

I'm not sure about the kool-aid, more like the haterade...

On 5/29/2022 at 5:12 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

Just got to know how a 5-7 team can look great?  
by Neb standards, 5-7 is terrible and after 2-3 of those out of 5, it’s a guaranteed termination pre-Frost anyway. 
8-4 is a disappointing season for most top

25 programs.  9-3 is “woulda, coulda, shoulda” year. 10-2 is very good year and with a bowl win, where NU should be 2 out of 5 years at least.

It is just crazy how far the program has fallen.  I feel Neb football is on the very edge of the abyss of football purgatory from which there may be no return in a lifetime(s).  This year simply cannot end up in the 3-4 win state or the chances of recovery are nearly nil (not NIL).  In that sense, Frost deciding to stay is a big gamble for him and Neb football far beyond the next 180 days.   Trev and the Regents and President have a lot bet on Frost somehow reversing trend and doing something very special.  I don’t know if 8 wins is enough but 9-3 and a bowl win would be enough to stay and give recruits and transfers and the roster reason to believe better days are likely.  

Bernard?

On 5/30/2022 at 2:39 AM, 84HuskerLaw said:

I try not to get taken in by such things.  Calling NU the best 3-9 team is meant as an insult of course.  The ‘best worst’ or ‘pretty ugly’.  Or, if you weren’t so bad, you’d be good!   Just nonsense and a trophy for participation, with a pat on the back and ‘good game’ handshake after a 30 point drubbing. 

it’s a LONG way from 3-9 to 9-3, no

matter how many total points separated the scores.   For example, as NU gradually improves its team, our opponents will take the game more seriously and raise their own play level.   We need a 10 point per game improvement in offense to turn those 4-6 losses into 2 point wins.  

Your abacus is broken.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Your abacus is broken.

Lol.   None of you get it.   Not complicated.  I bet most of you played on teams in your life that either won or lost by a fair margin.  Winning teams walks by and does the insincere but obligatory hand shake with the “good game” comment with the losing team.  Even though neither team really means it or cares.  For Neb Fb these past 4 seasons, the Huskers’ many single digit losses to mediocre opponents were NOT ‘good games’ similarly.  Losses to below par teams are ugly no matter what the point difference turned out. 
9 point losses to top twenty teams are still losses and don’t make up for the losses.  In fact, third party watchers often assessed those opponents’ wins as a lackluster, half hearted performancesby our opponents, not Huskers.  I didn’t always agree but, as time passes, hindsight becomes 20-20, and the losses look and feel more like plain old losses.  

My abacus works just fine.  This is not about arithmetic - it’s about proper perspective without the rose colored glasses.  If NU were in fact ‘close’ last year, drastic / wholesale changes would be inappropriate frankly.  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Lol.   None of you get it.   Not complicated.  I bet most of you played on teams in your life that either won or lost by a fair margin.  Winning teams walks by and does the insincere but obligatory hand shake with the “good game” comment with the losing team.  Even though neither team really means it or cares.  For Neb Fb these past 4 seasons, the Huskers’ many single digit losses to mediocre opponents were NOT ‘good games’ similarly.  Losses to below par teams are ugly no matter what the point difference turned out. 
9 point losses to top twenty teams are still losses and don’t make up for the losses.  In fact, third party watchers often assessed those opponents’ wins as a lackluster, half hearted performancesby our opponents, not Huskers.  I didn’t always agree but, as time passes, hindsight becomes 20-20, and the losses look and feel more like plain old losses.  

My abacus works just fine.  This is not about arithmetic - it’s about proper perspective without the rose colored glasses.  If NU were in fact ‘close’ last year, drastic / wholesale changes would be inappropriate frankly.  

Geez, didn't see that coming...:rolleyes:

On 5/29/2022 at 8:39 AM, FrantzHardySwag said:

What has me excited for this season is we have finally reached the end of the line. We're either watching December/January football or Frost is on the unemployment line. 

This is really what it boils down to. Either Frost has a winning record and takes us to a bowl game, or he's gone. No more weekly questions about his job status. No more impending doom, cloud hanging over our head, etc..

However, for that very reason, this has to be the least excited I've ever been going into a season. Most of my family and the friends made at local watch parties don't give a s#!t anymore. We are just exhausted at this point. 

I can't believe there are people on this board saying 5-7 or 6-6 is good enough to keep his job. Was it good enough for Solich? Callahan? Hell, even Pelini? Why should Frost be any different? What exactly is it saying if we go 6-6 or 5-7 and don't fire Frost? That it's now ok? Would Scott Frost even still be here if he weren't Nebraska's prodigal son, the last qb to give us a national championship? 

Every year, the watch parties here get smaller and smaller. Fewer and fewer people are maintaining interest. Sometimes I am glad I don't live in Nebraska. Y'all should really hear yourselves. It's like living in a bubble. You can only hear what fellow Nebraskans are saying and are ignoring the outside world. You want to keep Frost if he goes 5-7 or 6-6; with this weak schedule compared to last year's? Fine, but don't expect the sellout streak to continue. Don't expect anyone to mention us in the media unless it's to lament how far we've fallen. You're worried about what message it might send if we fire another coach? Fine. Don't fire him and see how apathetic potential recruits get toward our program and continual losing seasons.

I am sure if Frost doesn't have a winning season next year, he'll get it done in his 8th, 9th or 10th season....

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting line from Sip in his new column.

Frost probably needs to get his program to a bowl game, at the very least, in order to be afforded the chance to coach at his alma mater for another season. I’m thinking he better get to eight wins to be on the safe side.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1