USC and UCLA to the B1G

Good lord, Big Ten fans are losers

Why would the Big10 want either AZ school? Neither is up to Big10 academic standards. Phoenix as a city watches pro sports. AZ has good basketball teams (which evidence indicates they payed for). Tuscon is nuts for AZ basketball. Tuscon is not Phoenix.

Oregon isn't up to the Big10 academic standards either. They also were under scrutiny for paying players pre-NIL. Even with these two strikes, it would not surprise me if they got a Nebraska exception despite our seeing how well that one worked out. I wonder how much we would have to pay Nebraska to move back to the Big12. The improvements in brand and profits might be worth it.

One news report (Norlander?) said that June 30th was the last day that a team could leave the Pac12 without financial penalties. That makes this announcement timing very interesting if the Big10 really was after additional Pac12 schools. I would have expected the first few last week, so that the others could announce by today.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Loebarth said:

Rutgers is missing 

Either Rutgers or us could be dropped with those pods and you would have a nice super conference.

Outside of money, I think Nebraska would fit nicely in a lower tier super conference in the Midwest.  I don't think we are safe and most definitely are at the bottom of this super conference in most every category.  Thank God that our fan base/following merits us something.  :-)

I don't really care either way who joins and I find it kind of weird its USC and UCLA.  ND makes sense as they have a bunch of ties with BIG schools and are also smack dab in the middle of the BIG.  NC makes sense for basketball as that is what they are good at and have a pretty good rivalry with IN.  I'ld get Stanford and Indiana ST so you could have two trees battling it out every year.

https://www.pacifictakes.com/2020/5/27/21272206/pac-12-football-ranking-teams-attendance-5-year-oregon-washington-usc-ucla-colorado-arizona-stanford

Stanford is just so odd and you almost have to look at them like NW plus they are on the trimesters.  So students are not really even on campus for the first 2-3 games.

Cal, a semester school, is a total "no" in my mind, no fan support, and if you go to the game it is to protest things like, fun.

• Haha 3

I don't think cable subscribers matter to the BTN as much as they did 10 years ago due to the cord cutting that has gone on.  That has been replaced by getting as many eyeballs as possible on your network TV partner games (or as Andy Staples has dubbed it The 4 Million Viewer Club).

USC and UCLA are name schools that draw eyeballs. Notre Dame draws eyeballs.

Do Oregon and Washington draw enough eyeballs for it to matter?  Do any other schools in the Pac 12 draw enough eyeballs?

4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Nobody cares about people showing up for a chemistry test or a football game. It's about money, which in terms of sports is based off of TV/media packages.

But news flash to whatever dips#!t wrote that...academic grants bring in way more money than even the $100 million+ we might all be getting yearly with our new super conference.

Texas started this. Either in 2010 or in 1995 depending on how you look at it.

Honestly, I'm glad to be safe in all of this but I'm also just...wildly bummed out. College football is dead. I'll keep watching, because I'm an addict with stockholm syndrome, but all of the things that made me love the sport outside of my fandom for my team are gone. 100+ year rivalries, regional fraternity and brotherhood and animosity, familiarity with your yearly enemies, etc.

All of that doesn't even start to explain how bad I feel for non revenue student athletes. UCLAs press release had some bulls#!t about helping their student athletes...piss off. Yeah your women's soccer players are really going to be served so well having to fly to New Jersey and then Michigan during the school week one week then Pennsylvania and Ohio the next.

I agree with your comments about the state of college football. 

The constant change leaves me less caring about anything other than how the Huskers do. No more is there long time history of conferences and rivals that builds interest in anything else other than in my team. 

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don't think cable subscribers matter to the BTN as much as they did 10 years ago due to the cord cutting that has gone on.  That has been replaced by getting as many eyeballs as possible on your network TV partner games (or as Andy Staples has dubbed it The 4 Million Viewer Club).

USC and UCLA are name schools that draw eyeballs. Notre Dame draws eyeballs.

Do Oregon and Washington draw enough eyeballs for it to matter?  Do any other schools in the Pac 12 draw enough eyeballs?

Oregon games are always in top 10-15 viewership. You're gunna get the viewers with Oregon. You get market with Washington. They are tied to each other anyway. It's a great add.

However if Notre Dame says no. I don't see expansion continuing this year. Notre Dame says yes. Then it gets a bit more crazy, and likely a response from the SEC. 

9 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

If you thought the path was already hard enough to win and try to advance to a conference championship good luck to the lower tier teams trying to compete with the higher prestige programs. Yes i know its not until 2 years away from joining the conference but the lower tier teams have to win now other wise i don't see them standing a chance at all and yes that includes Nebraska and their struggles to win.

I was thinking the same thing.  Frost has got to make hay while he can.  So that begs the question:  Do we have a coaching staff "worthy" or capable of the new B1G:dunno

I think we have the facilities, fan support and admin backing to be competitive and eventually win - yes even win in this monster conference.  If we have expectations to eventually win a NC we have to start with our conference. Winning the B1G will be tantamount to winning a semi-final game in the round of 4.   We still have 'a coach in training' and if there aren't vast improvements this year and next, NU will have to swing for the fences to find a NFL caliber type coach to compete in this league and win it.

Time for Choosing: Are we content wt being middle of the pack (assuming we'll rise from the bottom this year) and allow  the other 'blue bloods", USC, OSU, MIch & ND,  battle for the top,  or do we aim for the top ?

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, IgniteTheSpark said:

2 more teams in that timezone would also give the Big Ten more "late night" games.  Which would be the last games on TV that Saturday night.  More eyes!

https://theathletic.com/3394410/2022/07/01/notre-dame-acc-big-ten-independence/

“That bill is not due today after USC and UCLA joined the Big Ten, with the sport hurtling toward two superconferences everyone else will be jockeying to join. But it would be inexcusable for athletics director Jack Swarbrick not to model a future for Notre Dame as full conference partners…”

“Joining the conference 20 years ago meant boxing Notre Dame in geographically, taking a national brand and threatening to make it Penn State, only a couple of states west. But joining the Big Ten now does not mean what it meant last week.”

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Good lord, Big Ten fans are losers

Why would the Big10 want either AZ school? Neither is up to Big10 academic standards. Phoenix as a city watches pro sports. AZ has good basketball teams (which evidence indicates they payed for). Tuscon is nuts for AZ basketball. Tuscon is not Phoenix.

Oregon isn't up to the Big10 academic standards either. They also were under scrutiny for paying players pre-NIL. Even with these two strikes, it would not surprise me if they got a Nebraska exception despite our seeing how well that one worked out. I wonder how much we would have to pay Nebraska to move back to the Big12. The improvements in brand and profits might be worth it.

One news report (Norlander?) said that June 30th was the last day that a team could leave the Pac12 without financial penalties. That makes this announcement timing very interesting if the Big10 really was after additional Pac12 schools. I would have expected the first few last week, so that the others could announce by today.

Yeah some (many) Big Ten fans are just uppity pricks. When it comes to football or basketball or any sport who gives a FF about academics? Nobody is more sorry than Nebraska fans that we’ve sucked on the football field ever since joining this self important bunch of douchebags but these dopes act like academics actually matter in that context. $10 says that was a Michigan or Northwestern (who shouldn’t even have sports) fan talking out their a$$.

• Thanks 3
  • Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to USC and UCLA to the B1G