USC and UCLA to the B1G

10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Who would you suggest they would be after.  

UNLV. Move the B1G Championship Game to the Raiders' new stadium. Suddenly everyone loves the new addition and ticket sales for the title game go through the roof. 

Add a burlesque show at halftime and you've got yourself a ratings and fan winner. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

Riley, yes. 

I still contend that had Callahan got a replacement for Cosgrove, he'd still be our coach to this day--the offense was that good, as was special teams. Just the defense was *SO* bad...

I don't disagree with the on the field assessment of Callahan.  Lets not forget he and his staff were the reason we got the likes of suh and some pretty legit recruits.  

Off the field tho-- man, his presence and delivery could not have been a poorer fit given who we were at the time and the rich history that seemingly was chucked out the window immediately.  Outside of the crap press conferences, i feel like him burning bridges with past players and coaches was a major reason we cratered the way we did... lost our way in certain respects

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Who would you suggest they would be after.  Not a lot of big name big value teams out there.   Having USC/UCLA way off on the west coast without some near by traveling buddies doesn't seem like a good long term plan

They are after Notre Dame and only Notre Dame right now.  And I'm sure they have done their due diligence and know that desirable ACC schools are not available to them for a while.

Everyone (fans, media) gets in a tizzy around realignment with this scenario and that scenario, but the B1G and SEC don't have to expand just to expand.  Schools have to add value.  And value now isn't cable subscriber fees like it was for Rutgers and Maryland, it is actual eyeballs on games.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

UNLV.

I will break my "adding value" rule for UNLV.  Throw a bone to the B1G fans and add UNLV.  Having a trip to Vegas every other year for a Husker game would be awesome.  And as a condition for joining the B1G, make UNLV only have home games in October and November.

3 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I don't disagree with the on the field assessment of Callahan.  Lets not forget he and his staff were the reason we got the likes of suh and some pretty legit recruits.  

Off the field tho-- man, his presence and delivery could not have been a poorer fit given who we were at the time and the rich history that seemingly was chucked out the window immediately.  Outside of the crap press conferences, i feel like him burning bridges with past players and coaches was a major reason we cratered the way we did... lost our way in certain respects

Can't disagree with Callahan and how past players/staff were treated...but some of that was out of Callahan's hands to a degree and came from the AD, I'd wager. Remember--we just severed ties with our past by getting rid of Solich, and many of the previous players/staff were critical of the change being made. If you're looking to keep team cohesion and focus on the future, having naysayers grumble about how it was done before in your locker room doesn't help. 

I think if Callahan was successful in his own right and won a Big XII title and/or NC, then past players/staff would have been welcomed back in. 

22 hours ago, Red Five said:

Maybe Disneyspn decides it would be better to own the entire upper echelon of college football than to pay a share to NC State for the long term. 

21 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Yes and during this time, OU, Yale, TX, PSU & I believe ND jumped us  on the all time win list.   I remember when NU was ranked 5th on this list.  We were 7th in 2019. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_teams_by_wins#:~:text=Measured in total wins%2C the,all divisions with 976 wins.

Rank Team Won Lost Tied Pct Total Games
1 Michigan 976 352 36 .729 1364
2 (T) Ohio State 942 329 53 .731 1324
2 (T) Alabama 942 333 43 .731 1318
4 Oklahoma 931 331 53 .728 1312
5 Notre Dame 929 330 42 .730 1301
6 Texas 928 385 33 .702 1346
7 Yale 921 385 55 .697 1361
8 Penn State 909 404 41 .686 1354
9 Nebraska 908 409 40 .684 1357

I smell 'vacated' wins.

19 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

UNLV. Move the B1G Championship Game to the Raiders' new stadium. Suddenly everyone loves the new addition and ticket sales for the title game go through the roof. 

Add a burlesque show at halftime and you've got yourself a ratings and fan winner. 

Maybe we can add a few Jerry Tarkanian towels for the fans to chew on also:dunno

Click to enlarge photo

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Maybe Disneyspn decides it would be better to own the entire upper echelon of college football than to pay a share to NC State for the long term. 

I smell 'vacated' wins.

How many vacated wins would come off of PSU's record?  That would move us up a notch.

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Who would you suggest they would be after.  Not a lot of big name big value teams out there.   Having USC/UCLA way off on the west coast without some near by traveling buddies doesn't seem like a good long term plan

I am personally fine with Washington and Oregon, but it seems like the B10 would have pulled trigger if they were fine with it. I think we need to round out the west too, but if it makes the slice of pie smaller they may not be in any hurry.    I don’t see the SEC going after them either. They will be available later. Having teams in the SECs backyard would be great I think. Texas is out of AAU and brand name schools. In order, I would say, Clemson. Miami or FSU. NC. Virginia. GT. 

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

I will break my "adding value" rule for UNLV.  Throw a bone to the B1G fans and add UNLV.  Having a trip to Vegas every other year for a Husker game would be awesome.  And as a condition for joining the B1G, make UNLV only have home games in October and November.

Vegas is a shi$hole.  i would fly to omaha (lincoln) any day, in any weather.  

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • Mavric changed the title to USC and UCLA to the B1G