Who should our next HC be?

5 hours ago, captain_sasquatch said:

What an absolute shame we could have had Whittingham. We'd be in such a different situation right now! 

I think you're overestimating the amount of money Baylor has. They can't compete with us now, let alone when the new media deal hits. Guys like Aranda and Campbell aren't all salary guys, meaning they don't need to be the highest paid coaches around. What they do want, however, is their assistants to be the highest paid coaches around. We can accomplish that better than their current schools can today and even more so in a few years. 

I agree, but I assure you we won't be the only ones targeting him. He's a hot commodity at the moment. 

35 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I could say the same about you. Top talent isn't exactly flocking to Lincoln. You want to land top talent, you need a coach that kids are willing to  come to Lincoln to play for.

Exactly this: "you need a coach that kids are willing to  come to Lincoln to play for." Name recognition is not the end-all be-all.  Does it help?  Sure, but you're putting way too much emphasis on a big name.  We don't need a "big name" coach to make us competitive again.

1 hour ago, AZ_Husker said:

Exactly this: "you need a coach that kids are willing to  come to Lincoln to play for." Name recognition is not the end-all be-all.  Does it help?  Sure, but you're putting way too much emphasis on a big name.  We don't need a "big name" coach to make us competitive again.

I just don't see elite talent coming to Lincoln to play for someone who isn't a relatively big name. Klieman, Hafley, Entz, Leipold, etc. are in my opinion just run-of-the-mill coaches that I don't see 4* kids coming here to play for.  I respect your opinion but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

13 minutes ago, admo said:

This is the stupidest thread after one game in all of my life.

But please, Proceed.

Shore up our defense, and we will win 6-8 regular season games, and then go bowling.  That is right, Ye of little Faith.  Go Big Red!

:HotTake:

Not just one game  - a continuation of last year and the years prior.   Again the team, other than the 1st half on offense, looked unprepared and Frost was out coached again. 

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

should have put this here....

If and when they fire him, who is actually going to come in and turn this around?

Unless one of these coordinators is some coaching savant, we're going to be doomed for awhile...

I think we're in for many more lean years...

• Fire 1
16 minutes ago, admo said:

But please, Proceed.

Shore up our defense, and we will win 6-8 regular season games, and then go bowling.  That is right, Ye of little Faith.  Go Big Red!

Yep, just shore up the defense!  It is that simple and it will totally happen. :thumbs

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I just don't see elite talent coming to Lincoln to play for someone who isn't a relatively big name. Klieman, Hafley, Entz, Leipold, etc. are in my opinion just run-of-the-mill coaches that I don't see 4* kids coming here to play for.  I respect your opinion but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I think you put to much emphasis on coach name recognition. From what I’ve seen first hand, it’s not the coach it’s the relationships built during recruiting.

The hardest phone call is to the other recruiters you’ve built relationships with telling them your going elsewhere. 

Most recruiters are pitching academics, their system. Where they see you fitting into their system. Location in proximity to home, especially if other schools are farther away than theirs.

Those coaches you don’t want, can easily recruit here. The coach itself is so far down on the list when it comes to recruiting. If they put a fine staff together with great recruiters it will go a lot farther than a “name” IMO. 

1 hour ago, admo said:

But please, Proceed.

You talking 6 to 8 wins ? In one season? Scott Frost is going to do this? 

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
5 minutes ago, Rk_kerk said:

I think you put to much emphasis on coach name recognition. From what I’ve seen first hand, it’s not the coach it’s the relationships built during recruiting.

The hardest phone call is to the other recruiters you’ve built relationships with telling them your going elsewhere. 

Most recruiters are pitching academics, their system. Where they see you fitting into their system. Location in proximity to home, especially if other schools are farther away than theirs.

Those coaches you don’t want, can easily recruit here. The coach itself is so far down on the list when it comes to recruiting. If they put a fine staff together with great recruiters it will go a lot farther than a “name” IMO. 

Let's say Urban Meyer comes to Lincoln. Just hypothetically speaking, of course. As soon as that hire is made, the buzz it generates gets recruits' attention. They know who he is what he brings to the table and how successful he's been. Lincoln is an instant possible destination on their radar. 

On the other hand, let's say you hire Jeff Hafley. There's a lot of "who?" and people searching him up on the Internet, like what happened when Riley was hired. No top kids are gonna really give a damn. 

I just think we need a proven winner who brings something "extra" to the table, whether it be success at another big time program or NFL HC experience. Just my two cents. Agree to disagree.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
27 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Let's say Urban Meyer comes to Lincoln. Just hypothetically speaking, of course. As soon as that hire is made, the buzz it generates gets recruits' attention. They know who he is what he brings to the table and how successful he's been. Lincoln is an instant possible destination on their radar. 

On the other hand, let's say you hire Jeff Hafley. There's a lot of "who?" and people searching him up on the Internet, like what happened when Riley was hired. No top kids are gonna really give a damn. 

I just think we need a proven winner who brings something "extra" to the table, whether it be success at another big time program or NFL HC experience. Just my two cents. Agree to disagree.

It’s a great intro I agree. I hope…your being looked at by Nebraska is still a great intro. When going after blue chip prospects we are going against elite programs, elite coaches, elite histories. 

We won’t win on, do you wanna play for this coach….It’s a scheme, it’s a fit, it’s a location, it’s a track record, it’s academics, and most importantly it’s the culture/relationship. 

I agree we will agree to disagree. But we need to lay a foundation. That’s my view 

43 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

6 are still out there in the water. And yes we can reel them in !!!  (I fish a lot, sorry! Lol)

We are only 1 game into the season. 

Please don't take away my hope for the big red... it's too soon! :)

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, man eating mastodon said:

Six wins in season 5 is not enough for Frost to retain his job.  He really needs a minimum of 7 wins in the regular season and I still personally do not think that is enough progress over 5 years.  He came in promising to win championships and that is what we were all sold on too. 

As for those worried about players and coaches coming to Lincoln, Frost just pulled in several top guys in the transfer portal despite his poor coaching record.  Nebraska offers history, prestige, and perhaps most importantly to recruits, good NIL opportunities now.  Any decent coach that knows how to win games will be able to land top 25 classes here as we have seen happen many times in the past 10 years despite the poor records under Riley and Frost.

• Plus1 1