Who should our next HC be?

3 minutes ago, captain_sasquatch said:

I think the biggest difference in a coaching search this year compared to year's past is conference realignment. Typically, the Arandas, Campbells, Whittinghams, etc. would be a no go. This year might be different, though. ISU is at their ceiling and their conference is dying. Baylor won't have a home outside of whatever 3rd tier the Big XII becomes. Whittingham may be a Utah lifer, though I wish we would have tried to get him instead of Riley. Here you get stability, $$$, and if you succeed your legacy will be celebrated for literally all of time with Nebraska fans. 

Don't discount getting one of these guys as their conferences tank. 

Aranda's situation isn't the same as he's in a much better spot post-realignment. Baylor is easier to recruit to, has plenty of money via donations, and will be in the hunt annually once Oklahoma is out of the picture. We don't have a realistic shot at him unless they have a bad year or something unforseen.

Campbell makes sense and will certainly be tied to the job. 

Wittingham came in 2nd to Riley but he'd be a perfect fit. Sounds like he's only got a few years left in him at Utah so no shot there.

I'm surprised Narduzzi isn't getting any buzz. Pitt is a really hard job and he's done well. This will be a pretty telling year for how he is as a coach but he's a big ten guy. Seems like Pelini 2.0 and we can do better, but I'd like to see him at a major job.

• Plus1 1

Just now, TonkaSker said:

Aranda's situation isn't the same as he's in a much better spot post-realignment. Baylor is easier to recruit to, has plenty of money via donations, and will be in the hunt annually once Oklahoma is out of the picture. We don't have a realistic shot at him unless they have a bad year or something unforseen.

Wittingham came in 2nd to Riley but he'd be a perfect fit. Sounds like he's only got a few years left in him at Utah so no shot there.

I'm surprised Narduzzi isn't getting any buzz. Pitt is a really hard job and he's done well. This will be a pretty telling year for how he is as a coach but he's a big ten guy. Seems like Pelini 2.0 and we can do better, but I'd like to see him at a major job.

I don't think anyone in the Big XII is going to be in a better spot than we are here in a couple of years. Short term, sure, but we're going to have far more $$$ and be in a real conference. I'm not saying Aranda would be an easy get, but I certainly don't think he's off the table. Any Big XII/Pac 12/ACC coach is likely on the table outside of Dabo. The reason is 90% financial and 10% being in a stable conference. 

3 minutes ago, captain_sasquatch said:

I don't think anyone in the Big XII is going to be in a better spot than we are here in a couple of years. Short term, sure, but we're going to have far more $$$ and be in a real conference. I'm not saying Aranda would be an easy get, but I certainly don't think he's off the table. Any Big XII/Pac 12/ACC coach is likely on the table outside of Dabo. The reason is 90% financial and 10% being in a stable conference. 

I think a lot of us have lost sight of the fact that most of the new B1G money is going to be used to subsidize non-football sports and the university itself. Even if it's $20mm more annually after the school takes its slice it will definitely give us a leg up but Baylor is a powerhouse from a booster/donor standpoint. Do not discount the amount of money christian schools like Baylor and Notre Dame bring in outside their TV deals.

I'll concede that you absolutely need to call Aranda and make him say no. I'm just pretty confident that he's comfortable where he is based on things I've heard/read.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We can't depend on nabbing the expensive proven HC commodity who probably won't come here. In some cases, like Urban, we may not even want him. That could be a two season dumpster fire of its own. 

Elite recruits might come for an NFL coordinator or position coach, or a highly respected college coordinator or position coach. Mickey Joseph was good enough for some guys. Younger coach with a reputation for innovation and motivation within the coaching community might be the better calculated risk. 

They came for Callahan, even though he sucked. I think Rhule or O’Brien could do well. 

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

They came for Callahan, even though he sucked. I think Rhule or O’Brien could do well. 

O'brien won't happen.  He and Trev will not work well together.  I think we can forget about O'Brien.  However, Rhule could be a nice addition.  I am interested to see what K. State does this year. I think Klieman has was it takes to be successful here.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, AZ_Husker said:

O'brien won't happen.  He and Trev will not work well together.  I think we can forget about O'Brien.  However, Rhule could be a nice addition.  I am interested to see what K. State does this year. I think Klieman has was it takes to be successful here.

What makes you think they wouldn't work well together? Is that just your opinion or based on something you actually know?

37 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Oh man really?  This just bums me out even more.

We need someone who knows how to win in the Big.  Leave campbell out of that equasion.  I do think hes good but he doesnt have the win loss record to through his time at ISU plus its another big 12 coach, someone who doesnt know how to handle the Defense in the BI6.  

Its like alot of people said, you need a proven winner.  Someone with 9+ wins every season for the last 5 seasons.  Someone who has ties to the big who knows how to run there system and knows how to win here.  I think fickle is one of those, but may not come due to the volitility this place can be at times.  

Dont think just because we have a better quote unquote program and facilities that thats going to be enough to make a NDSN or a Northern Iowa coach thrive here.  No you need to pay someone to leave success to duplicate that here.  And you need to be willing to pay whatever to start that.  

• Fire 1

What are opinions of Pat Narduzzi?   He's a great defensive mind, got some P5 HC experience.   A bit of a reda$$ like Saban and Belichick.    Seems like a lunch box type of guy and feel his teams are the same way.   Common belief is the ACC will be raided soon for both the SEC and BigTen, and we can offer more $$ than Pitt can.   I think he could be an under the radar home run hire for us.

19 minutes ago, sho said:

What are opinions of Pat Narduzzi?   He's a great defensive mind, got some P5 HC experience.   A bit of a reda$$ like Saban and Belichick.    Seems like a lunch box type of guy and feel his teams are the same way.   Common belief is the ACC will be raided soon for both the SEC and BigTen, and we can offer more $$ than Pitt can.   I think he could be an under the radar home run hire for us.

Just read up on Narduzzi,  Hes got a decent record, has been in the BI6.  Pretty decent choice.