Who should our next HC be?

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

He’s not a big enough name. Top kids ain’t coming to Lincoln to play for Klieman, sorry. 

LMAO that's really your reasoning? Because his name isn't "big enough".  Oh man, you've got A LOT to learn.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Mullen. Only had two losing seasons in the SEC West. Offensive guru. Team him with Whip and Joseph, may have an offensive juggernaut.

I wonder who he would get to toughen up our D?  We need help - NW had over 500 yards against our 'improved D'. 

1 hour ago, captain_sasquatch said:

What an absolute shame we could have had Whittingham. We'd be in such a different situation right now! 

I think you're overestimating the amount of money Baylor has. They can't compete with us now, let alone when the new media deal hits. Guys like Aranda and Campbell aren't all salary guys, meaning they don't need to be the highest paid coaches around. What they do want, however, is their assistants to be the highest paid coaches around. We can accomplish that better than their current schools can today and even more so in a few years. 

You're right - they aren't all salary but that's a big piece of it.

The last time Aranda had a public salary was when he was the highest-paid assistant coach in the country at LSU (2.5mm) so it definitely speaks to him. We don't know for sure what his Baylor contract looks like but it's estimated at $6m with a large assistant pool.

What Aranda has talked about (and why I don't see him leaving unless its an Alabama-tier job) is that he loves the environment he's in and the institutional commitment he receives, so I'll assume he's got a big coordinator pool and they're going to be in the top 20% in football spending at the P5 level. He's seen what LSU is capable of and if he's satisfied it must be a good situation financially. Additionally, Baylor can recruit its backyard (Texas/Louisiana) and has one of the best donor bases in the P5.

Campbell's situation is a bit dicier. He was the hot name for years and his shine is wearing off. It's kind of a sh!t or get off the pot deal with him if he wants to move. I really admire the culture he's built at ISU and he's a great developmental coach. I love Heacock, his DC but I could see him staying on as HC there if Campbell dips. Iowa State is a more precarious place to be in the new world order than Baylor because it doesn't have that donor base. I think he leaves soon and he's going to be a target, but he'll be expensive. Probably $7m/6y deal.

1 hour ago, AlaSker said:

Bill O'Brien

Dan Mullen

Tom Herman

Matt Rhule

Matt Campbell

Jamey Chadwell

Luke Fickell

Kyle Whittingham

In no particular order.

The knock on Mullen is that he doesn't recruit. Pass

Herman is Frost. I'm fine passing on the entire Urban Meyer tree. Lots of shenanigans

Chadwell would be OK but I'd rather someone with a big ten recruiting footprint. He's destined for the UNC job when it opens up. I do like his offense but I think the big ten is the last place that it would work. If we're going option-adjacent I'd rather hire Monken.

Fickell won't leave until Ryan Day is coaching in the NFL. In his whole career he's never left the state of Ohio and I don't see Nebraska doing it.

Whittingham will retire at Utah.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, AZ_Husker said:

We can forget about Fickell.  Sadly, he isn't leaving OH.

Correct. I could see him at ND or Penn State but ND will not open for the forseeable future and Penn State is Matt Rhule's before it's Luke's.

Here are Fickell's stops in his career.

1999 Ohio State (GA)
2000–2001 Akron (DL)
2002–2003 Ohio State (ST)
2004 Ohio State (LB)
2005–2010 Ohio State (co-DC/LB)
2011 Ohio State (Interim HC)
2012–2016 Ohio State (co-DC/LB)
2017–present Cincinnati

Never once left the state and probably never will. Certainly wouldn't for Nebraska.

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Correct. I could see him at ND or Penn State but ND will not open for the forseeable future and Penn State is Matt Rhule's before it's Luke's.

Here are Fickell's stops in his career.

1999 Ohio State (GA)
2000–2001 Akron (DL)
2002–2003 Ohio State (ST)
2004 Ohio State (LB)
2005–2010 Ohio State (co-DC/LB)
2011 Ohio State (Interim HC)
2012–2016 Ohio State (co-DC/LB)
2017–present Cincinnati

Never once left the state and probably never will. Certainly wouldn't for Nebraska.

I mean, if he wants to cut his teeth in a big program then why not.  Not that im high on fickle but if you want the credentials,  though if it doesnt work i can see that hurting him as well.