2022 Offensive Play

Undone

I like having a single season-long thread for discussing the offense and then another for the defense, so that's why I've started this one.

I see a lot of comments both here and in texts from friends that "we don't have a run game." Now it's only been one game, but let's analyze that. How many times last year did we have a single back crack 100 yards and be the leading rusher? Grant had 101 yards and averaged 5.3 YPC. That's decent, considering Northwestern usually fields a good run defense.

I don't think it's that we don't have a run game - it's that Whipple wants to move the chains by throwing, not by running. And he also wants to take shots at the big play. Our run/pass ratio on Saturday was 42/58. That is insanely low even by Frost's history here so far - but Pitt averaged 45/55 last year.

So, nobody should be all that surprised. He's going to run the ball in the red zone, and then Thompson's going to be a shootout style QB in between the 20's. Maybe people didn't see that coming, I don't know.

I thought Grant was solid.  He didn't have a lot to work with and made the most of it.  His long run was nice.  Last year we didn't have a guy that could make the first guy miss let alone a second guy.  We had a 100 yard rusher and a 100 yard receiver.  That might have happened once last year.  Very disappointed after the first quarter with how the offense looked compared to first series.  Hopefully the drops don't become a problem every game.  

20 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I thought Grant was solid.  He didn't have a lot to work with and made the most of it.  His long run was nice.  Last year we didn't have a guy that could make the first guy miss let alone a second guy.  We had a 100 yard rusher and a 100 yard receiver.  That might have happened once last year.  Very disappointed after the first quarter with how the offense looked compared to first series.  Hopefully the drops don't become a problem every game.  

I just rewatched the game.  One frustration I have had the last few years is RB not having vision and making a cut.  On Saturday, there were several times where the RB had a big hole to one side or the other and, instead, they run right into the pile.  Frustrating.  I did think Grant was better than we saw last year.  But, there is still room for improvement.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I just rewatched the game.  One frustration I have had the last few years is RB not having vision and making a cut.  On Saturday, there were several times where the RB had a big hole to one side or the other and, instead, they run right into the pile.  Frustrating.  I did think Grant was better than we saw last year.  But, there is still room for improvement.

I agree with this.   I’m not sure if the RB’s are taught to be this quick to the line of scrimmage, but some patience and seeing the back it or jump cut would have attributed to a few more 6-10 yrd runs.   

NW’s RB’s did just this same thing against us in Saturday’s game

I thought Casey did a really good job of stepping up in the pocket, keeping his eyes down field, and making a decent throw.  Not sure what changed in the second half with his accuracy, but from my vantage point, he looked like a QB who knew how to run a passing offense. 

The receivers had plenty of liability in the turnover margin.  One went right through Martin's hands, and the tipped ball by 49 were 100% on the receivers.  There were also a handful of drops.  I remember hearing that Palmer had drop issues at LSU which is why he started to lose playing time.

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I noticed this as well.  I thought maybe we would see more cut backs after seeing how the line looked at the point of attack.  NW rbs would almost just stop and head the opposite direct of where the play was supposed to go and low and behold a huge hole to run through.  Maybe after getting to watch some film Grant might be able to see how things were unfolding.  I'm thinking they are just told to hit the assigned hole at 100 mph because all the backs that played did  the same thing.  

52 minutes ago, Undone said:

I like having a single season-long thread for discussing the offense and then another for the defense, so that's why I've started this one.

I see a lot of comments both here and in texts from friends that "we don't have a run game." Now it's only been one game, but let's analyze that. How many times last year did we have a single back crack 100 yards and be the leading rusher? Grant had 101 yards and averaged 5.3 YPC. That's decent, considering Northwestern usually fields a good run defense.

I don't think it's that we don't have a run game - it's that Whipple wants to move the chains by throwing, not by running. And he also wants to take shots at the big play. Our run/pass ratio on Saturday was 42/58. That is insanely low even by Frost's history here so far - but Pitt averaged 45/55 last year.

So, nobody should be all that surprised. He's going to run the ball in the red zone, and then Thompson's going to be a shootout style QB in between the 20's. Maybe people didn't see that coming, I don't know.

I always throw out the longest and shortest Carrie’s to get a more typical ypc figure.  Aka about 3 ypc.  That longer one came in the second half I recall.  We didn’t have a meaningful run game at all imo.  NW however did much better.  I get what you’re saying but I am a run the ball guy and we’ve yet to show me anything in past 4 years to suggest any serious effort to establish effective run game. Frost says it but I don’t believe he means it. His recruiting tells me enough by itself.  

Just my opinion based on general observations of stats, RBs played, play calling, etc etc.  

2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I always throw out the longest and shortest Carrie’s to get a more typical ypc figure.  Aka about 3 ypc.  That longer one came in the second half I recall.  We didn’t have a meaningful run game at all imo.  NW however did much better.  I get what you’re saying but I am a run the ball guy and we’ve yet to show me anything in past 4 years to suggest any serious effort to establish effective run game. Frost says it but I don’t believe he means it. His recruiting tells me enough by itself.  

Just my opinion based on general observations of stats, RBs played, play calling, etc etc.  

What 84 said. The run game overall sucked. If they fix that, the rest of the offense should fall into place.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

We were 9-16 on 3rd downs, and several of those were beautiful. 

I remember punting 3 times - where we got stuffed on a short on a run, we threw short of the sticks, and we got blindsided sacked.  Those really irked me.

But also, 4 drives started inside our 15 yard line (3 inside the 10). 

I felt we passed more, because for a while, it seemed more effective than those 2 yard runs.  

I thought we executed the quick screens really well, and should have done that a bit more often - and get Alante & Rahmir involved with those.

Grant showed good burst and quick feet Saturday and in the spring game so I'm encouraged it's consistent. Behind a good line he's a good zone RB.

When Casey has time and we're playing complementary football he's as accurate a QB I can remember us having. 

OL was bad BUT I think there's a possibility they gel as they get more comfortable. Seems like a more zone-heavy scheme than in years past so I'd understand if there are growing pains. Too soon to make any positive assumptions

Conditioning was rough. Not sure how much of that was jetlag but I'm going to be conservative and say we're an injury away from this getting ugly.

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I noticed this as well.  I thought maybe we would see more cut backs after seeing how the line looked at the point of attack.  NW rbs would almost just stop and head the opposite direct of where the play was supposed to go and low and behold a huge hole to run through.  Maybe after getting to watch some film Grant might be able to see how things were unfolding.  I'm thinking they are just told to hit the assigned hole at 100 mph because all the backs that played did  the same thing.  

42 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree with this.   I’m not sure if the RB’s are taught to be this quick to the line of scrimmage, but some patience and seeing the back it or jump cut would have attributed to a few more 6-10 yrd runs.   

NW’s RB’s did just this same thing against us in Saturday’s game

I just rewatched Grant's long TD run.  Amazingly, he actually has his head up, running at the pile, makes a cut to his left and ......there's an opening.

Hopefully he uses that play as a learning experience and we see more of that.

3 hours ago, admo said:

I felt we passed more, because for a while, it seemed more effective than those 2 yard runs.  

And you don't have to just go off of a guess or a feeling for how much we passed - we threw it an unprecedented 58% of our plays.   :)

3 hours ago, jager said:

What 84 said. The run game overall sucked. If they fix that, the rest of the offense should fall into place.

Again, Whipple doesn't seem to want to run the ball much to move the chains. Hence why he only called run plays 42% of the time. That is way below our average from last season.

But when Grant got his chances, at least he:

-Broke a long one

-Ran one into the end zone from inside the red zone.

-Averaged 5.3 YPC

I'm not sure how it matters whether or not Grant gets the 46 yards from the long run doing it that way or chunking that up across 8 different carries (to stay consistent with the 5.3 YPC average that way).

Basically, our players and coaches made mistakes that cost us the game.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

And you don't have to just go off of a guess or a feeling for how much we passed - we threw it an unprecedented 58% of our plays.   :)

Again, Whipple doesn't seem to want to run the ball much to move the chains. Hence why he only called run plays 42% of the time. That is way below our average from last season.

-Broke a long one

-Averaged 5.3 YPC

I'm not sure how it matters whether or not Grant gets the 46 yards from the long run doing it that way or chunking that up across 8 different carries (to stay consistent with the 5.3 YPC average that way).

Basically, our players and coaches made mistakes that cost us the game. And also that blown pass interference call late in the game hurt us also.

One thing I was disappointed in was that I was expecting more of Frost's type of running game.  It seemed like the vast majority of our runs were just hand off to the RB and run into a pile.  Very few times did we attack the outside and, when we did, it seemed to produce yards.  I remember one that got stopped for a loss.  But, the rest seemed to produce.

2 hours ago, Undone said:

-Broke a long one

-Averaged 5.3 YPC

Basically, our players and coaches made mistakes that cost us the game. And also that blown pass interference call late in the game hurt us also.

That call WAS a big deal. Going in to score, instead being a turnover.