Should Erik Chinander be fired midseason

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

So what is the problem from last year?  Was losing Damion Daniels, Jojo, and Bootle that devastating?  Is Chin trying ton scheme to coverup a flaw in our personnel?    

Not Bootle, but CTB. That's 3 really good players at all 3 levels. That's going set you back. That said guys are piss poor at tackling, we play too soft in coverage, and too much zone against inferior teams.

The biggest issues is we don't have anyone on the interior line who can eat up blocks. When offensive linemen are basically coming free and engaging your LBs every rush, you f#&%ed!

So sorry to interrupt the above. But just so I can wrap my little pea sized brain around the demise of the defense-  we changed from the 4-3 to the 3-4 because of personnel?  And now we’re getting blown up every game?  

How to unpack this one to assign blame? Coaching, recruiting, etc?   I know ultimately Frost, but what can be done to patch it for the rest of the season?  Can we go to a 5-2 or back to the 4-3. Only kind of kidding. 

56 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

DD and Jojo were perfect players to cover up the numerous f#&% ups and missed assignments.  Their individual efforts(especially Jojo) made that defense appear better than it really was. 

DD should not have declared, but did not blame him one bit for seeing the light and running for the hills.

JoJo was an eraser in that front 7.  Sure tackler, could cover in space, actually knew what his assignment was and had the athleticism to play all over.  DD ate up a lot of blockers.  The ILB had the easy job of standing still and getting run into.  Now with no DD, they simply run into our own DL or get trucked by 320 lb OL.  Throw in CTB and we were much better.  Add in that we had a lot of super seniors as well.  I guess we can expect to see an average D every 4 years if Frost stays.....

5 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

So sorry to interrupt the above. But just so I can wrap my little pea sized brain around the demise of the defense-  we changed from the 4-3 to the 3-4 because of personnel?  And now we’re getting blown up every game?  

How to unpack this one to assign blame? Coaching, recruiting, etc?   I know ultimately Frost, but what can be done to patch it for the rest of the season?  Can we go to a 5-2 or back to the 4-3. Only kind of kidding. 

I think we had DD on the DL, JoJo as a LB, CTB/Bootle in the secondary.  A lot of super seniors.  Guys who were in the system for 4 years.  Now no real eraser.  DL gets eaten alive so average at best LB's get swallowed up.  Nelson is like an old school missile.  Fire and forget.  Needs to slow down.  Slow is smooth and smooth is fast....I think losing Tuioti as DL coach hurt.  I think Ruud was/is in over his head from day one.  The B1G is not a place to learn how to coach LB's....Throw in new guys at all 3 levels and it was a recipe for disaster.  I'll throw in S&C.  For all the bluster about getting stronger, when have we really "looked like the more physical team" against P5 teams.

18 hours ago, KCBuc said:

Been saying this since he was hired. I hope the next guy attacks and mixes it up.

Me too. Agree. He is a mid level coach. He should have never been brought to Nebraska. Frosts first, and most fatal error, was bringing a bunch of Pop Warner  coaches with him. He did NOT surround himself with quality coaches. He didn’t give himself a chance to be successful. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1