Prime Time!!! - Deion Sanders Hired as Colorado Head Coach

Shiggity

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

It will all be the same...

"Who we losin, trust me, please, trust me, who we losin?"

For every transfer they bring in  they're losing 2 because that entire team at this point is made of transfers who all came with the idea they'd be starting.

Those 'scrubs' might be useful to have around in the Big12 where Colorado may see 150-160 plays a game with the new headset rules in an already high tempo conference.

If Colorado is losing players because better players have jumped them on the depth chart, Colorado might be pretty good. 

If there's something toxic about the program and the leadership that's making them flee, Colorado will be a dumpster fire. 

I think it's fair to say that a season without improvement would signal the end of Deion's run. 

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If Colorado is losing players because better players have jumped them on the depth chart, Colorado might be pretty good. 

If there's something toxic about the program and the leadership that's making them flee, Colorado will be a dumpster fire. 

I think it's fair to say that a season without improvement would signal the end of Deion's run. 

The problem is that they will have weak line play. There is a shortage of OL/DL talent in the portal. None of the top guys are going to CU. They will get and have good skill players like RB, QB, WR, DBs but they won’t be able to block or stop anyone.  

Dylan left because they hardly run the ball as is & are looking to bring in two more portal guys. So his reps were going to lean out. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Barring a scandal or similar, probably not. Due to all of the free media attention he gets, he's generated an enormous amount of value for the university.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, brophog said:

Barring a scandal or similar, probably not. Due to all of the free media attention he gets, he's generated an enormous amount of value for the university.

Yeah, that and they didn't have enough to pay his salary to start with, let alone a buy out.

But I could definitely see him leave after this year, either because a couple key players leave or because he knows he's really screwed if he can't even win with them.

• TBH 2
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, that and they didn't have enough to pay his salary to start with, let alone a buy out.

But I could definitely see him leave after this year, either because a couple key players leave or because he knows he's really screwed if he can't even win with them.

Especially his two sons being gone 

• TBH 2

I don't think they are getting "better players" as much as they are just getting new players that are for the most part similar to what has left.  

They are probably a team that will go based off of about 10-12 players.  The games where they go 42-50 for 450 yards and 4 TD passes, they will be okay.

Everything is based around their QB/WRs, which makes sense.  I bet you see really wide splits from their OL this year, like what TT used to do and a deeper shotgun drop, like what Mizzo used to do.

Trying to keep guys off the QB as much as possible.  

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I don't think they are getting "better players" as much as they are just getting new players that are for the most part similar to what has left.  

They are probably a team that will go based off of about 10-12 players.  The games where they go 42-50 for 450 yards and 4 TD passes, they will be okay.

I really think they could have been a Top-3 program this year .... in their old conference.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I think Deion's leaving will be orchestrated by Deion

• TBH 1
4 hours ago, brophog said:

Yep. CU has neither the money nor the desire to fire Deion. He did what they needed most - sold enough tickets to get the athletic dept out of the red. Winning is and was a distant second to that.

I mean, we would have to see the books but I would imagine there is a lot of money to be made with a having a very popular (losing) team.

Cubs did it for years and banked.

The Huskers have done it for what, 7 or 8 years now?

You could probably make an argument that if CU had a different coach last year and squeaked out a 6-6 season with some lame bowl game, that they would have made way less.  

Now, what will happen is the fans/media will stop caring if the they keep sucking.  

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, teachercd said:

I mean, we would have to see the books but I would imagine there is a lot of money to be made with a having a very popular (losing) team.

Cubs did it for years and banked.

The Huskers have done it for what, 7 or 8 years now?

You could probably make an argument that if CU had a different coach last year and squeaked out a 6-6 season with some lame bowl game, that they would have made way less.  

Now, what will happen is the fans/media will stop caring if the they keep sucking.  

Not to veer into P&R territory, but when Deion came to Colorado from an HBU and drew a lot of haters with him, Colorado gained a major profile and rooting interest from Black Americans, including those with no previous college allegiance and many who didn't otherwise follow football at all. 

Deion was a huge mainstream media story the first few games of the year, with millions of dollars swirling around him and the University, but it dropped off the map when Colorado plummeted to the bottom of the conference. I don't see the hype coming back, even if CU adds two wins and gets to a bowl game. If he sticks around and genuinely builds the program,  he'll deserve the respect. That just feels like a long shot right now.   

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2
48 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Not to veer into P&R territory, but when Deion came to Colorado from an HBU and drew a lot of haters with him, Colorado gained a major profile and rooting interest from Black Americans, including those with no previous college allegiance and many who didn't otherwise follow football at all. 

Deion was a huge mainstream media story the first few games of the year, with millions of dollars swirling around him and the University, but it dropped off the map when Colorado plummeted to the bottom of the conference. I don't see the hype coming back, even if CU adds two wins and gets to a bowl game. If he sticks around and genuinely builds the program,  he'll deserve the respect. That just feels like a long shot right now.   

Yeah, I think it was just a very quick flash for CU and the way they started last year it makes sense that they were so popular.