Rhule's QB Room

TGHusker

I find the addition of Jeff Sims, transfer from GT, very interesting.  In some ways it strikes me as being similar to when Frost went after Adrain as soon as he was hired.  He knew who he wanted

as QB and he went after him.  In this case, it feels that Rhule knows exactly what type of offense he wants to run, and he made that known in the type of QB he recruited.

It gives some hints as to where the offense may be heading under Rhule.  To that end, I think we have 6 QBs under scholarship with the Sims addition.  We also have a diverse group of guys - 

Big Arm guys, Pro-style, dual threat.  What does this say about Casey Thompson's status? - Is Sims 'insurance' in case Thompson doesn't respond well to surgery or decides

not to come back to play his remaining year at Nebraska or is Rhule moving away from CT as a manager of his type of offense? The other guys on the depth chart are also sent a message. 

While I think Logan stays on to finish his education, I suspect others may enter the portal - esp after the spring game.

https://www.on3.com/teams/nebraska-cornhuskers/news/nebraska-lands-commit-from-georgia-tech-transfer-portal-qb-jeff-sims/

Nebraska head coach Matt Rhule landed a big-name quarterback from the transfer portal.

Georgia Tech quarterback Jeff Sims announced his commitment to the Huskers on Sunday.

Sims has played in 24 games in his college career, making 23 starts. He’s completed 364-of-633 passes (57.5%) for 4,464 yards, 30 touchdowns and 23 interceptions. On the ground, he’s rushed for 1,152 yards and 11 touchdowns on 277 attempts (4.2 ypc). On3 ranks Sims as the 18th-best available quarterback in the portal. 

• Plus1 1

Idk where that GaTech guy got off saying Sims was soft. Several plays were he hangs in the pocket and takes a hit to make a throw and several more plays where he lowers his shoulder to get an extra yard or two on his runs

Definitely seems like we're going to be seeing a lot more QB run game in the future

Also, @TGHusker I think you mean Casey Thompson, not Charles lol 

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
12 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I find the addition of Jeff Sims, transfer from GT, very interesting.  In some ways it strikes me as being similar to when Frost went after Adrain as soon as he was hired.  He knew who he wanted

as QB and he went after him.  In this case, it feels that Rhule knows exactly what type of offense he wants to run, and he made that known in the type of QB he recruited.

It gives some hints as to where the offense may be heading under Rhule.  To that end, I think we have 6 QBs under scholarship with the Sims addition.  We also have a diverse group of guys - 

Big Arm guys, Pro-style, dual threat.  What does this say about Charles Thompson's status? - Is Sims 'insurance' in case Thompson doesn't respond well to surgery or decides

not to come back to play his remaining year at Nebraska or is Rhule moving away from CT as a manager of his type of offense? The other guys on the depth chart are also sent a message. 

While I think Logan stays on to finish his education, I suspect others may enter the portal - esp after the spring game.

https://www.on3.com/teams/nebraska-cornhuskers/news/nebraska-lands-commit-from-georgia-tech-transfer-portal-qb-jeff-sims/

I am going to say the status of Charles Thompson is still Casey Thompson's father.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 5
12 minutes ago, GSG said:

Idk where that GaTech guy got off saying Sims was soft. Several plays were he hangs in the pocket and takes a hit to make a throw and several more plays where he lowers his shoulder to get an extra yard or two on his runs

Definitely seems like we're going to be seeing a lot more QB run game in the future

You are right - thinking of his dad- that dates me as I remember those OU games in the mid 80s.   I"ll change it.

Funny how when you type something in the back of your mind something doesn't seem right.  Well you caught it. 

I saw this in the other thread about transfers.   @M.A.  posted it.   Hornsby would be a very interesting transfer as well.  

If he transfers to NU along wt Sims, we will have a one-two punch of highly rated dual threat QBs who have good experience.  

I'm beginning to wonder if our offense will look a bit more like Chadwell's Costal Carolina's  - something some of us (looking at you @lo country)  wanted to see at Nebraska that would set us apart from the crowd - make us more difficult to prepare for.  A unique identity to recruit towards and to develop players for.  

1 hour ago, GSG said:

Sims looks like a good passer and has deceptive speed with that long stride. 

• Plus1 2