Recruiting Class of 2023

Mavric

^^^ I think that's a pretty big stretch.  Nebraska has definitely NOT always had this much talent.  I have an entire list showing the lack of talent in the Metro for a long time.

With only a couple of exceptions, the Huskers have always recruited the top talent in the state.  There's just a lot more of it now.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

^^^ I think that's a pretty big stretch.  Nebraska has definitely NOT always had this much talent.  I have an entire list showing the lack of talent in the Metro for a long time.

With only a couple of exceptions, the Huskers have always recruited the top talent in the state.  There's just a lot more of it now.

Nebraska has lacked on effort to get kids from Iowa Western which isn't in their state but it is in their backyard.  Yes they offered kids but putting in the time to actually showing them you want them is a different story.  Nebraska used to bank on the fact that since they were winning championship the name sold itself.  If you offered a kid then for the most part they accept.  Yes the coaches still had to recruit to win but not as hard as it is now.  Kids want to feel wanted.  The border states used to offer a few kids here and there and you see them leave but very few left.  Now if Nebraska offers they have to show them they care other wise border states come out of the wood works to try and pull them out.

• Haha 2
41 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Nebraska has lacked on effort to get kids from Iowa Western which isn't in their state but it is in their backyard.  Yes they offered kids but putting in the time to actually showing them you want them is a different story.  Nebraska used to bank on the fact that since they were winning championship the name sold itself.  If you offered a kid then for the most part they accept.  Yes the coaches still had to recruit to win but not as hard as it is now.  Kids want to feel wanted.  The border states used to offer a few kids here and there and you see them leave but very few left.  Now if Nebraska offers they have to show them they care other wise border states come out of the wood works to try and pull them out.

Most of that is not really accurate.

• 4 weeks later...

“It was like the day that I heard coach Rhule got the job,” Newby said. “He called my cell phone. I didn’t know him. He says, ‘This is Evan Cooper from Nebraska. I want to talk about Eric Fields.’”

The hire of Cooper as the Nebraska secondary coach and Rhule’s most trusted talent evaluator was not announced until Dec. 1. But there he was, on the phone with Newby.

“If we ever offer a guy that no one’s heard of,” Rhule said, “it’s because of Evan. Because he stays up at night and texts me at 3 in the morning, watching this guy, watching that guy.”

Cooper told Newby that Fields’ play and athleticism rated as more striking than any film of a linebacker that the new Nebraska assistant had watched.

“I started smiling,” Newby said, “because I know what Eric is all about. And then (Cooper) said, ‘What’s going on? Why has he not been taken?’ I was like, ‘Good question.’”

• Oh Yeah! 4
On 2/12/2023 at 9:43 AM, Mavric said:

Makes sense - Omaha and Lincoln have both grown considerably as cities - just in demographics alone one can argue that the talent level has increased.   But I also think that not only have recruits been able to get their name out there, they have become 'top talent' because of their exposure to the growth of training techniques that has helped the average player from small school Nebraska become a top tier talent.    Demographics, new media to create exposure to a wider audience, and also the availability of tools that enable players to develop into the top tier.   Of course I'm an old fart, but I don't remember my old high school having much of an emphasis on nutrition and weight training, and other scientific methods that we see available today down to the high school level.  Even my son's schools didn't have it 15-20 years ago.  Now it is a whole different story.   I agree with you - Nebraska has always recruited the top kids in the state - now there are more in that rank for what I believe to be these 3 main reasons:

Demographics, Exposure, Athletic development opportunities/techniques more available statewide.  - This applies to  kids in rural states like SD, ND and Kansas as well.  There have been some amazingly good guys coming out of those states.  NDSU, SDSU  have primarily home state kids on their rosters and both schools would be hard to handle for the average P5 team to play.  Rural is no longer a disadvantage.  

• 2 months later...

I have spent the last two weeks going through everything that I could for this incoming class. I tried to be as objective as possible watching the tape of these guys. I am willing to stick my neck out here and say that Rhule hit a home run with this transition class. 

I would go through all the guys but I think I see why they were not pushing too hard for portal dudes this second time around. I have no clue as to how Kwinton Ives got lost in the recruiting cycle. He is a natural running back with freakish ability. I fully expect Dylan Rogers to fit into that room immediately and position himself to have dibs on playing in 2024. Jeremiah Charles and Ismael Smith-Flores are not raw, and I think we're going to find out very quickly. 

Demetrious Bell might work his way into the 5 deep by the end of fall camp. He plays sudden and is very refined already. Gottulia is already showing he belongs.  

Ethan Nation is going to find himself in spot duty or not even redshirting and playing a lot on special teams. Eric Fields is going to play a lot.  Riley Van Poppel is going to play and get it figured out by the middle to end of the season. We know about Lendhardt and Princewill. I think this class is going to make up a significant amount of starters next year and the very least will provide us with significant and highly productive depth. 

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

We certainly could use an infusion of talent. Looking at Athlon Sports all B1G preseason projections almost makes me want to cry when I see how far we have fallen. No players from the offense in the 3 deep projections and only 1 second (Reimer) and 1 third (Newsome) from the defense. Hoping for (but not expecting) a breakout season which would certainly give a big boost to their recruiting efforts. Only so much you can do when the last time we had a winning season was when the kids they are recruiting were in grade school.