2023 Spring Practice Notes - Offensive Line

Mavric

13 hours ago, admo said:

We have to watch how we use words on the free internet, amongst a ghost of people, instead of randomly speaking our minds and thoughts (like in the early 2000's).  Supposedly, some people that read a post that we add to - being blunt or opinionated - means it can hurt feelings. 

Even when it isn't personal and just our opinions on something.  I miss the old days of just typing something you want to say and nobody being offended.... but now feel like you have to say "my apologies".  

Did I ask for an apology or am I allowed to share my opinion as well?

Also the old days you are describing don't exist. At no point in history can you just say whatever you want with no consequence. People who disagree will disagree and it has literally always been that way since the beginning of time. I disagreed with the post and shared my opinion of that. If you think that is new to this generation you may have been born yesterday.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Fair enough. I certainly could have used different words for my analogy that weren't as colorful to express my belief that our Line play had to do with player quality instead of their position coach.

My apologies.

No need to apologize. You said what you said I disagreed with what you said and how you said it and decided to make that opinion known. There is room for disagreement. 

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

No need to apologize. You said what you said I disagreed with what you said and how you said it and decided to make that opinion known. There is room for disagreement. 

:cheers

I will say, the 'good' news is that our WR depth is pretty terrible, so it's pretty likely that Satterfield is going to have to call more runs based off necessity. The OL was slightly below average in run blocking, but with a mobile QB they should end up with better numbers.

I do struggle to see Nebraska getting to 6 wins based on how the offense seems set up to perform, however. 

• Plus1 2
50 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

:cheers

I will say, the 'good' news is that our WR depth is pretty terrible, so it's pretty likely that Satterfield is going to have to call more runs based off necessity. The OL was slightly below average in run blocking, but with a mobile QB they should end up with better numbers.

I do struggle to see Nebraska getting to 6 wins based on how the offense seems set up to perform, however. 

The good news is that NU may not a lot of high-scoring shootouts, since so many Big Ten West opponents are more than happy to keep the scoring in the high teens or low twentys.  There have been a lot of teams in the Big Ten West get to 6 or 7 wins with playing solid defense, taking care of the ball, and finding a way to win in the 4th quarter.  It's not a recipe for long-term success, especially after the expansion of the Big Ten in 2024, but it may work for this year.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wish I could read this.

It's a good article, but not much new. Raiola coaches them hard and they are a tighter-knit group than in the past. Only tidbit that stuck out to me was last year Frost and Whipple did not have the same OL philosophy and that made Raiola's job difficult. Not necessarily news, but a factor that I think can be dismissed too easily when looking at last year's OL play. This year the coaching staff is all on the same page and Raiola can do what he wants.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It's a good article, but not much new. Raiola coaches them hard and they are a tighter-knit group than in the past. Only tidbit that stuck out to me was last year Frost and Whipple did not have the same OL philosophy and that made Raiola's job difficult. Not necessarily news, but a factor that I think can be dismissed too easily when looking at last year's OL play. This year the coaching staff is all on the same page and Raiola can do what he wants.

That factor is potentially huge.  

If Raiola knew what needed to be done and he was stuck between an argument with Frost and Whipple....no wonder the line sucked.  And...it probably played a big part in him being retained.

I also wonder how much of this was pertaining to S&C and how Raiola believes they need to lift and train so they are both strong and athletic.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That factor is potentially huge.  

If Raiola knew what needed to be done and he was stuck between an argument with Frost and Whipple....no wonder the line sucked.  And...it probably played a big part in him being retained.

I also wonder how much of this was pertaining to S&C and how Raiola believes they need to lift and train so they are both strong and athletic.

Right, I think there are a lot of factors. Arguably the line should have improved once Frost was canned and that argument was gone, but he's the one who liked Raiola's style so still probably not ideal. And I do get the sense that position coaches weren't a huge fan of the S&C plan, but Frost left that entirely up to Duval.

I'm optimistic on the OL this year if we don't lose any more Tackles - with the talent level and experience this should be an average to above-average OL. I will have to see it to believe it at this point, but there are legitimate reasons to believe they'll be quite a bit better this year.

21 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Right, I think there are a lot of factors. Arguably the line should have improved once Frost was canned and that argument was gone, but he's the one who liked Raiola's style so still probably not ideal. And I do get the sense that position coaches weren't a huge fan of the S&C plan, but Frost left that entirely up to Duval.

I'm optimistic on the OL this year if we don't lose any more Tackles - with the talent level and experience this should be an average to above-average OL. I will have to see it to believe it at this point, but there are legitimate reasons to believe they'll be quite a bit better this year.

If Raiola had gone through Spring and fall camp teaching technique he didn't believe in because he was being dictated by Frost and Whipple, it would be pretty difficult to all of a sudden change course three games into the season after Frost was fired.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wish I could read this.

If you're on Firefox, hit the Reader View button (end of the address bar, or hit F9). May need to refresh the page to view it all.