USC and UCLA to the B1G

10 minutes ago, nic said:

The B1G is going to have to redo their 2024 schedule already. I wonder if Cali and Stanford get invited too????

I would think Oregon and Washington.  That would bring us to 16.  Not sure how many more they would want right now.  If they were going to take two more, those two would probably be the best that are left.  Arizona and ASU are probably going to the Big 12.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would think Oregon and Washington.  That would bring us to 16.  Not sure how many more they would want right now.  If they were going to take two more, those two would probably be the best that are left.  Arizona and ASU are probably going to the Big 12.

I think USC and UCLA get us to 16 right? I have lost track:D. its easy to forget Maryland and Rutgers....Oregon and Washington to 18, which is already awkward. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Whoops....You are correct.  So, maybe they do want to get to 20.

I have heard that once they get past 16, there is virtually no difference in scheduling whether it be 18, 19, 20, etc. teams.  Of course, I don't think they would want an odd number of teams, because that would create automatic bye weeks during the season, but that's still easy to schedule around, as teams have bye weeks built in anyway.

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Personally, I think that Zona and ASU are a better overall addition as opposed to Cal and Stanford.  

Cal hates sports and basically has no money or desire to be good in sports and the cali market is covered with UCLA and USC.  Stanford is interesting because they have shown that they can/want to be good in sports BUT their fan base sucks balls.

Zona BB is elite, which I think trumps anything Cal and Stanford brings.   And you get into a new market. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Personally, I think that Zona and ASU are a better overall addition as opposed to Cal and Stanford.  

Cal hates sports and basically has no money or desire to be good in sports and the cali market is covered with UCLA and USC.  Stanford is interesting because they have shown that they can/want to be good in sports BUT their fan base sucks balls.

Zona BB is elite, which I think trumps anything Cal and Stanford brings.   And you get into a new market. 

Didn't ASU just get invited to

Into the AAU?

I doubt the B1G is going to take any of them right now. The conference is sitting in an ivory tower made of money, and not interested in throwing out liferafts. 

There may be a future time when UO/UW/Stanford/Cal get invites, but I think the B1G is currently sitting comfortable and confident and waiting for the ACC to fall apart, leaving Notre Dame in a vulnerable spot as well as getting a southern footprint.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I doubt the B1G is going to take any of them right now. The conference is sitting in an ivory tower made of money, and not interested in throwing out liferafts. 

There may be a future time when UO/UW/Stanford/Cal get invites, but I think the B1G is currently sitting comfortable and confident and waiting for the ACC to fall apart, leaving Notre Dame in a vulnerable spot as well as getting a southern footprint.

If the Pac 12 is imploding, now is the time.  You can't wait 5 years down the road when they are now newly established in a new conference.

• TBH 2
35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If the Pac 12 is imploding, now is the time.  You can't wait 5 years down the road when they are now newly established in a new conference.

Do these sports add to the financial pie? Best guess is "no". 

Different story if ND wants one of these teams as a condition for joining. 

1 hour ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Do these sports add to the financial pie? Best guess is "no". 

Different story if ND wants one of these teams as a condition for joining. 

We have seen with Rutgers and Maryland, you don't have to have dominating programs to be included.  You have to be in a large population area.  I would say the teams being mentioned fall into that category.  

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We have seen with Rutgers and Maryland, you don't have to have dominating programs to be included.  You have to be in a large population area.  I would say the teams being mentioned fall into that category.  

I think 24 teams is the ideal number for a super league. Creates two -12 team divisions, play everyone in your division for an 11 game regular season followed by a conference championship of the two best teams. Really it won't be any different than have multiple 12 team conferences but by bringing them under one umbrella you create a monopoly on the product that allows you to negotiate for more money. 

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

No idea...I never even heard of the AAU until snobby Big Ten fans started pretending like fans care about that.

And then Meechigan and Wiscy cast votes to kick NU out. I believe it came down to two votes.