USC and UCLA to the B1G

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

We have seen with Rutgers and Maryland, you don't have to have dominating programs to be included.  You have to be in a large population area.  I would say the teams being mentioned fall into that category.  

That was add a time when it was all about making money off the amount of cable subscriptions in the area (NY, MD). The financials are now moving towards brand/viewership.

Does UO/UW bring enough eyeballs for FOX to want to keep all current B1G teams whole if they're added? Maybe. Have to see what FOX does if the PAC12 implodes.

Stanford/Cal, as some have mentioned, is a hard No. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

On 7/27/2023 at 3:29 PM, hskrpwr13 said:

"Stanford/Cal, as some have mentioned, is a hard No."

Don't bet against one of them (if not both) getting the invite nod.. The amount of research dollars those schools bring in is mindboggling. (Though Washington too is huge.)

I can see a shakeup coming that will implode the ACC too as the SEC expansion is far from over.. If I were to guess, I'd likely guess there is going to be 2 conferences, 24 teams each. 

• Plus1 1

I have nothing to base this on other than my own head but I'd guess that the B1G prefers landing at 20 over 24. 20 allows you to go back to divisions of 10 teams each, and either keep the 3 OOC/9 conference game model only within your division to go back to the old school days of Big Ten conference play, or ditch OOC games altogether and have 9 division and 3 cross division games yearly, then the winners play for the conference championship.

Anyways probably not right just a hunch in my head and I think the ideal additions to the conference are USC, UCLA, Notre Dame, GA Tech, and either Oregon/Washington, Cal/Stanford, or UNC/UVA

1 minute ago, Toe said:

Sounds like the Pac as we know it is on its last leg at this point...

Oregon and Washington can't afford to sit and wait on a Big Ten invite, so they are going to jump at the Big 12's offer.  Plus, it's not like the Big Ten "needs" Oregon or Washington at this point.  The Big Ten already got the 2 big fish from the PAC 12.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The Big Ten already got the 2 big fish from the PAC 12.

Sure, the Big 12 needs them a lot more than the Big Ten does. Still, while they may not be the two biggest fish, they're still pretty nice fish - arguably larger than any remaining in the Big 12 after this season.

On 7/31/2023 at 8:57 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Amazing how if we had not had such a bad 7 out of 8 years where we would stand in these rankings.  We are 1 bowl game less than the leaders and we haven't been to a bowl in 6 years.  Our winning % would have been much higher if we kept performing as we did under Bo.   And, yes we'd have 2 more NC if the refs didn't screw us against FSU and PSU. 

• TBH 2
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Those Calibraska t-shirts aged as well as the Restore the Order ones. 

I've got a Welcome Home 7 t-shirt, that's a collector's item now, right?

• Haha 1